- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Allergy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 269376, 11 pages
Nutritional Aspects in Diagnosis and Management of Food Hypersensitivity—The Dietitians Role
1The David Hide Asthma and Allergy Centre, Isle of Wight PO30 5TG, UK
2University of Portsmouth, 2 King Richard 1st Road, Portsmouth PO1 2FR, UK
3Functional Foods Forum and Institute of Biomedicine, University of Turku, 20014 Turku, Finland
4Department of Pediatric Respiratory Medicine and Allergy, Emma Children’s Hospital, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 9, 1105AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Received 19 March 2012; Accepted 20 April 2012
Academic Editor: K. Blaser
Copyright © 2012 Carina Venter et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Fiocchi, J. Brozek, H. Schünemann et al., “World allergy organization (WAO) diagnosis and rationale for action against cow's milk allergy (DRACMA) guidelines,” Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, vol. 21, supplement S21, pp. 1–125, 2010.
- C. Venter and S. H. Arshad, “Epidemiology of food allergy,” Pediatric Clinics of North America, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 327–349, 2011.
- C. Venter, B. Pereira, K. Voigt et al., “Prevalence and cumulative incidence of food hypersensitivity in the first 3 years of life,” Allergy, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 354–359, 2008.
- R. J. Rona, T. Keil, C. Summers et al., “The prevalence of food allergy: a meta-analysis,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 638–646, 2007.
- P. Burney, C. Summers, S. Chinn, R. Hooper, R. van Ree, and J. Lidholm, “Prevalence and distribution of sensitization to foods in the European Community Respiratory Health Survey: a EuroPrevall analysis,” Allergy, vol. 65, no. 9, pp. 1182–1188, 2010.
- I. Skypala, “Fruit and vegetables,” in Food Hypersensitivity: Diagnosing and Managing Food Allergies and Intolerance, I. Skypala and C. Venter, Eds., pp. 147–166, Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, UK, 2009.
- S. Flammarion, C. Santos, D. Guimber et al., “Diet and nutritional status of children with food allergies,” Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 161–165, 2011.
- H. N. Cho, S. Hong, S. H. Lee, and H. Y. Yum, “Nutritional status according to sensitized food allergens in children with atopic dermatitis,” Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Research, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 53–57, 2010.
- M. Groetch, Food Allergy From a Dietitians View, 2009.
- C. Venter, L. Reeves, and R. Meyer, “Food allergy educational needs of dietitians in the UK,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 129, no. S2, Article ID AB57, 2012.
- J. A. Boyce, A. Assa'ad, A. W. Burks et al., “Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of food allergy in the United States: summary of the NIAID-sponsored expert panel report,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 111, no. 1, pp. 17–27, 2011.
- J. Walsh and N. O'Flynn, “Diagnosis and assessment of food allergy in children and young people in primary care and community settings: NICE clinical guideline,” British Journal of General Practice, vol. 61, no. 588, pp. 473–475, 2011.
- INDANA, “International Network for Diet and Nutrition in Allergy (INDANA),” 2012, http://www.indana-allergynetwork.org.
- M. Focke, W. Hemmer, S. Wöhrl, M. Götz, and R. Jarisch, “Cross-reactivity between Ficus benjamina latex and fig fruit in patients with clinical fig allergy,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 971–977, 2003.
- R. Asero, B. K. Ballmer-Weber, K. Beyer et al., “IgE-mediated food allergy diagnosis: current status and new perspectives,” Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 135–147, 2007.
- M. Osterballe, T. K. Hansen, C. G. Mortz, A. Høst, and C. Bindslev-Jensen, “The prevalence of food hypersensitivity in an unselected population of children and adults,” Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 567–573, 2005.
- I. Skypala, “Adverse food reactions-an emerging issue for adults,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 111, no. 12, pp. 1877–1891, 2011.
- G. Block, M. Woods, A. Potosky, and C. Clifford, “Validation of a self-administered diet history questionnaire using multiple diet records,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 43, no. 12, pp. 1327–1335, 1990.
- S. Mofidi, “Nutritional management of pediatric food hypersensitivity,” Pediatrics, vol. 111, no. 6, pp. 1645–1653, 2003.
- C. Venter and R. Meyer, “Session 1: allergic disease the challenges of managing food hypersensitivity,” Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 11–24, 2010.
- T. Wright, “Lifestyle issues,” in Food Hypersensitivity: Diagnosing Food Allergies and Intolerance, I. Skypala and C. Venter, Eds., pp. 265–277, Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, UK, 2009.
- B. M. J. Flokstra-de Blok and A. E. J. Dubois, “Quality of life in food allergy: valid scales for children and adults,” Current Opinion in Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 214–221, 2009.
- C. B. Madsen, R. Crevel, C. H. Chan et al., “Food allergy: stakeholder perspectives on acceptable risk,” Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, vol. 57, no. 2-3, pp. 256–265, 2010.
- European Union, “Directive 2007/68/EC of the European parliament amendmend of directive 2000/13/EC,” Official Journal of the European Union, vol. 27, no. L310, article 11, 2007.
- B. Pereira, C. Venter, J. Grundy, C. B. Clayton, S. H. Arshad, and T. Dean, “Prevalence of sensitization to food allergens, reported adverse reaction to foods, food avoidance, and food hypersensitivity among teenagers,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 116, no. 4, pp. 884–892, 2005.
- J. S. Kim and S. H. Sicherer, “Living with food allergy: allergen avoidance,” Pediatric Clinics of North America, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 459–470, 2011.
- A. C. Lyons and E. M. E. Forde, “Food allergy in young adults: perceptions and psychological effects,” Journal of Health Psychology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 497–504, 2004.
- H. MacKenzie, G. Roberts, D. van Laar, and T. Dean, “Teenagers' experiences of living with food hypersensitivity: a qualitative study,” Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 595–602, 2010.
- R. C. Knibb, D. A. Booth, R. Platts, A. Armstrong, I. W. Booth, and A. Macdonald, “Consequences of perceived food intolerance for welfare, lifestyle and food choice practices, in a community sample,” Psychology, Health and Medicine, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 419–430, 2000.
- J. Voordouw, J. R. Cornelisse-Vermaat, V. Yiakoumake, G. Theodoridis, and L. J. Frewer, “Food allergic consunmers' preferences for labelling practices: a qualitative study in a real shopping environment,” International Journal of Consumer Studies, vol. 33, pp. 94–102, 2009.
- J. R. Cornelisse-Vermaat, J. Voordouw, V. Yiakoumaki, G. Theodoridis, and L. J. Frewer, “Food-allergic consumers' labelling preferences: a cross-cultural comparison,” European Journal of Public Health, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 115–120, 2008.
- N. J. Avery, R. M. King, S. Knight, and J. O. B. Hourihane, “Assessment of quality of life in children with peanut allergy,” Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 378–382, 2003.
- M. E. Bollinger, L. M. Dahlquist, K. Mudd, C. Sonntag, L. Dillinger, and K. McKenna, “The impact of food allergy on the daily activities of children and their families,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 415–421, 2006.
- S. H. Sicherer, S. A. Noone, and A. Muñoz-Furlong, “The impact of childhood food allergy on quality of life,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 461–464, 2001.
- H. MacKenzie and T. Dean, “Quality of life in children and teenagers with food hypersensitivity,” Expert Review of Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 397–406, 2010.
- B. J. Vlieg-Boerstra, A. E. J. Dubois, S. van der Heide, C. M. A. Bijleveld, S. A. A. Wolt-Plompen, and J. N. G. Oude Elberink, “Ready-to-use introduction schedules for first exposure to allergenic foods in children at home,” Allergy, vol. 63, no. 9, p. 1254, 2008.
- Y. Vandenplas, M. Brueton, C. Dupont et al., “Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of cow's milk protein allergy in infants,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 92, no. 10, pp. 902–908, 2007.
- NICE, “National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence guidelines: improving the nutrition of pregnant and breastfeeding mothers and children in low-income households. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence,” 1–105, 2008, http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/index.jsp?action=byID&o=11943.
- D. J. Hill, S. H. Murch, K. Rafferty, P. Wallis, and C. J. Green, “The efficacy of amino acid-based formulas in relieving the symptoms of cow's milk allergy: a systematic review,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 808–822, 2007.
- D. de Boissieu, P. Matarazzo, and C. Dupont, “Allergy extensively hydrolyzed cow milk proteins in infants: identification and treatment with an amino acid-based formula,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 131, no. 5, pp. 744–747, 1997.
- K. J. Allen, G. P. Davidson, A. S. Day et al., “Management of cow's milk protein allergy in infants and young children: an expert panel perspective,” Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 481–486, 2009.
- L. Noimark and H. E. Cox, “Nutritional problems related to food allergy in childhood,” Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 188–195, 2008.
- A. Maier, C. Chabanet, B. Schaal, P. Leathwood, and S. Issanchou, “Food-related sensory experience from birth through weaning: contrasted patterns in two nearby European regions,” Appetite, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 429–440, 2007.
- G. Roberts, N. Patel, F. Levi-Schaffer, P. Habibi, and G. Lack, “Food allergy as a risk factor for life-threatening asthma in childhood: a case-controlled study,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 168–174, 2003.
- E. Isolauri, Y. Sutas, M. K. Salo, R. Isosomppi, and M. Kaila, “Elimination diet in cow's milk allergy: risk for impaired growth in young children,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 132, no. 6, pp. 1004–1009, 1998.
- M. C. Vieira, M. B. Morais, J. V. N. Spolidoro et al., “A survey on clinical presentation and nutritional status of infants with suspected cow' milk allergy,” BMC Pediatrics, vol. 10, article 25, 2010.
- A. A. Massarano, S. Hollis, J. Devlin, and T. J. David, “Growth in atopic eczema,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 677–679, 1993.
- K. A. Katz, M. H. Mahlberg, P. J. Honig, and A. C. Yan, “Rice nightmare: Kwashiorkor in 2 Philadelphia-area infants fed rice dream beverage,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology., vol. 52, no. 5, supplement 1, pp. S69–72, 2005.
- S. O. Ukabam, R. J. Mann, and B. T. Cooper, “Small intestinal permeability to sugars in patients with atopic eczema,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 110, no. 6, pp. 649–652, 1984.
- M. Eggesbø, G. Botten, and H. Stigum, “Restricted diets in children with reactions to milk and egg perceived by their parents,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 139, no. 4, pp. 583–587, 2001.
- L. S. Somers, “Peanut allergy: case of an 11-year-old boy with a selective diet,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 301–306, 2011.
- L. Christie, R. J. Hine, J. G. Parker, and W. Burks, “Food allergies in children affect nutrient intake and growth,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 102, no. 11, pp. 1648–1651, 2002.
- K. Laitinen, M. Kalliomäki, T. Poussa, H. Lagström, and E. Isolauri, “Evaluation of diet and growth in children with and without atopic eczema: follow-up study from birth to 4 years,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 565–574, 2005.
- L. Patel, P. E. Clayton, M. E. M. Jenney, J. E. Ferguson, and T. J. David, “Adult height in patients with childhood onset atopic dermatitis,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. 505–508, 1997.
- K. Mukaida, T. Kusunoki, T. Morimoto et al., “The effect of past food avoidance due to allergic symptoms on the growth of children at school age,” Allergology International, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 369–374, 2010.