- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Allergy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 316296, 7 pages
Managing Anxiety Related to Anaphylaxis in Childhood: A Systematic Review
Department of Psychiatry, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 1X8
Received 26 April 2011; Accepted 8 August 2011
Academic Editor: John Bastian
Copyright © 2012 Katharina Manassis. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. A. Kovalenko, C. W. Hoven, P. Wu, J. Wicks, D. J. Mandell, and Q. Tiet, “Association between allergy and anxiety disorders in youth,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 815–821, 2001.
- D. Mandell, R. Curtis, M. Gold, and S. Hardie, “Anaphylaxis: how do you live with it?” Health and Social Work, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 325–335, 2005.
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association, Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR), American Psychiatric, Washington, DC, USA, 4th edition, 2000.
- B. S. Friedman, P. Germano, J. Miletti, and D. D. Metcalfe, “A clinicopathologic study of ten patients with recurrent unexplained flushing,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 53–60, 1994.
- N. Khetsuriani, P. Imnadze, L. Baidoshvili et al., “Impact of unfounded vaccine safety concerns on the nationwide measles-rubella immunization campaign, Georgia, 2008,” Vaccine, vol. 28, no. 39, pp. 6455–6462, 2010.
- D. W. Powers, “A bad way to end a vacation,” Emergency Medical Services, vol. 33, no. 6, p. 46, 2004.
- S. N. Compton, J. S. March, D. Brent, A. M. Albano, V. R. Weersing, and J. Curry, “Cognitive-bahvioral psychotherapy for anxiety and depressive disorders in children and adolescents: an evidence-based medicine review,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 930–959, 2004.
- S. Monga and K. Manassis, “Treating anxiety in children with life-threatening anaphylactic conditions,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 45, no. 8, pp. 1007–1010, 2006.
- N. J. Avery, R. M. King, S. Knight, and J. O. B. Hourihane, “Assessment of quality of life in children with peanut allergy,” Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 378–382, 2003.
- A. J. Cummings, R. C. Knibb, M. Erlewyn-Lajeunesse, R. M. King, G. Roberts, and J. S. A. Lucas, “Management of nut allergy influences quality of life and anxiety in children and their mothers,” Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 586–594, 2010.
- L. J. Herbert and L. M. Dahlquist, “Perceived history of anaphylaxis and parental overprotection, autonomy, anxiety, and depression in food allergic young adults,” Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 261–269, 2008.
- J. S. Lebovidge, K. D. Stone, F. J. Twarog et al., “Development of a preliminary questionnaire to assess parental response to children's food allergies,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 472–477, 2006.
- P. J. Roberts-Thomson, P. Harvey, and S. Sperber, “Bee sting anaphylaxis in an urban population of South Australia,” Asian Pacific Journal of Allergy and Immunology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 161–164, 1985.
- R. M. King, R. C. Knibb, and J. O. B. Hourihane, “Impact of peanut allergy on quality of life, stress and anxiety in the family,” Allergy, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 461–468, 2009.
- N. Akeson, A. Worth, and A. Sheikh, “The psychosocial impact of anaphylaxis on young people and their parents,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 1213–1220, 2007.
- W. Hu, R. Loblay, J. Ziegler, and A. Kemp, “Attributes and views of families with food allergic children recruited from allergy clinics and from a consumer organization,” Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 264–269, 2008.
- A. C. Lyons and E. M. E. Forde, “Food allergy in young adults: perceptions and psychological effects,” Journal of Health Psychology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 497–504, 2004.
- M. N. Primeau, R. Kagan, L. Joseph et al., “The psychological burden of peanut allergy as perceived by adults with peanut allergy and the parents of peanut allergic children,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 1135–1143, 2000.
- M. A. Sampson, A. Muñoz-Furlong, and S. H. Sicherer, “Risk-taking and coping strategies of adolescents and young adults with food allergy,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 117, no. 6, pp. 1440–1445, 2006.
- S. H. Sicherer, S. A. Noone, and A. Muñoz-Furlong, “The impact of childhood food allergy on quality of life,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 461–464, 2001.
- L.S. Somers, “Peanut allergy: case of an 11-year-old boy with a selective diet,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 111, pp. 301–306, 2011.
- P. A. Vargas, S. H. Sicherer, and L. Christie, “Developing a food allergy curriculum for parents,” Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 575–582, 2011.
- J. N. Oude Elberink, J. G. R. De Monchy, S. Van Der Heide, G. H. Guyatt, and A. E. J. Dubois, “Venom immunotherapy improves health-related quality of life in patients allergic to yellow jacket venom,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 174–182, 2002.
- W. T. Zijlstra, A. E. Flinterman, L. Soeters et al., “Parental anxiety before and after food challenges in children with suspected peanut and hazelnut allergy,” Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 439–445, 2010.
- P. A. Eigenmann, J. C. Caubet, and S. A. Zamora, “Continuing food-avoidance diets after negative food challenges,” Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 601–605, 2006.
- K. Manassis, Keys to Parenting Your Anxious Child, Barron’s Educational Series, Hauppauge, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2007.
- A. DunnGalvin, W. C. Chang, S. Laubach et al., “Profiling families enrolled in food allergy immunotherapy studies,” Pediatrics, vol. 124, no. 3, pp. e503–e509, 2009.
- A. DunnGalvin, B. M. J. De BlokFlokstra, A. W. Burks, A. E. J. Dubois, and J. O. B. Hourihane, “Food allergy QoL questionnaire for children aged 0-12 years: content, construct, and cross-cultural validity,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 977–986, 2008.
- C. P. Hawkes, S. Mulcair, and J. O. B. Hourihane, “Is hospital based MMR vaccination for children with egg allergy here to stay?” Irish Medical Journal, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 17–19, 2010.