- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Allergy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 509730, 7 pages
L-Carnitine Improves the Asthma Control in Children with Moderate Persistent Asthma
1Department of Paediatric, Faculty of Medicine, Tanta University, Tanta, P.o. box 1084, Gharbia Governate, Egypt
2Department of Paediatric, Abu Alrish Pediatric Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
3Department of Chest Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Tanta University, Tanta, Gharbia Governate, Egypt
4Department of Clinical and Chemical Pathology, Medical Division, National Research Center, Cairo, Egypt
Received 7 April 2011; Revised 22 August 2011; Accepted 7 September 2011
Academic Editor: Mary Beth Hogan
Copyright © 2012 Mohammed Al-Biltagi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- National Institute of Health, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, National Asthma Education, and Prevention Program, “Expert panel report 3: guidlines for diagnosis and management of asthma,” Washington, DC, USA, NIH, 2007, http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/asthma.
- L. Antonicelli, C. Bucca, M. Neri et al., “Asthma severity and medical resource utilisation,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 723–729, 2004.
- W. W. Busse, S. Banks-Schlegel, and S. E. Wenzel, “Pathophysiology of severe asthma,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 106, no. 6, pp. 1033–1042, 2000.
- M. K. Miller, C. Johnson, D. P. Miller, Y. Deniz, E. R. Bleecker, and S. E. Wenzel, “Severity assessment in asthma: an evolving concept,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 116, no. 5, pp. 990–995, 2005.
- M. A. Biltagi, A. A. Baset, M. Bassiouny, M. A. Kasrawi, and M. Attia, “Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin C and Zn supplementation in asthmatic children: a randomized self-controlled study,” Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 737–742, 2009.
- E. P. Brass, “Supplemental carnitine and exercise,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. S618–S623, 2000.
- S. Kavukçu, M. Türkmen, Ş. Salman et al., “The effects of L-carnitine on respiratory function tests in children undergoing chronic hemodialysis,” Turkish Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 79–84, 1998.
- A. Borghi-Silva, V. Baldissera, L. M. M. Sampaio et al., “L-carnitine as an ergogenic aid for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease submitted to whole-body and respiratory muscle training programs,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 465–474, 2006.
- S. Ahmad, “L-carnitine in dialysis patients,” Seminars in Dialysis, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 209–217, 2001.
- A. H. Liu, R. Zeiger, C. Sorkness et al., “Development and cross-sectional validation of the childhood asthma control test,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 119, no. 4, pp. 817–825, 2007.
- S. C. Winter, S. Szabo-Aczel, and C. J. R. Curry, “Plasma carnitine deficiency clinical observations in 51 pediatric patients,” American Journal of Diseases of Children, vol. 141, no. 6, pp. 660–665, 1987.
- G. Seliger, E. Kantelhardt, C. van der Wal, et al., “L-carnitine level in neonates—a large, retrospective analysis,” Archives of Perinatal Medicine, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 17–20, 2007.
- S. Asilsoy, Ö. Bekem, Ö. Karaman, N. Uzuner, and S. Kavukçu, “Serum total and free carnitine levels in children with asthma,” World Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 60–62, 2009.
- S. L. Huang and W. H. Pan, “Dietary fats and asthma in teenagers: analyses of the first nutrition and health survey in Taiwan (NAHSIT),” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 1875–1880, 2001.
- A. T. Ergür, F. Tanzer, and Ö. Çetinkaya, “Serum free carnitine levels in children with recurrent pulmonary infections,” Acta Paediatrica Japonica, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 406–408, 1997.
- M. A. Ozturk, T. Gunes, E. Koklu, and A. Erciyes, “Free carnitine levels in respiratory distress syndrome during the first week of life,” American Journal of Perinatology, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 445–449, 2006.
- N. Uzuner, S. Kavukçu, O. Yilmaz et al., “The role of L-carnitine in treatment of a murine model of asthma,” Acta Medica Okayama, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 295–301, 2002.
- A. Olgun, O. Kisa, S. T. Yildiran, S. Tezcan, S. Akman, and M. K. Erbil, “Antimicrobial efficacy of L-carnitine,” Annals of Microbiology, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 95–101, 2004.
- D. Isaacs and P. Joshi, “Respiratory infections and asthma,” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 177, no. 6, pp. S50–S51, 2002.
- G. Devendra and R. G. Spragg, “Lung surfactant in subacute pulmonary disease,” Respiratory Research, vol. 3, p. 19, 2002.
- C. Kurz, K. Arbeiter, A. Obermaier, H. Salzer, H. R. Salzer, and A. Lohninger, “L-carnitine-betamethasone combination therapy versus betamethasone therapy alone in prevention of respiratory distress syndrome,” Zeitschrift fur Geburtshilfe und Perinatologie, vol. 197, no. 5, pp. 215–219, 1993.
- T. S. Hallstrand and W. R. Henderson Jr., “An update on the role of leukotrienes in asthma,” Current Opinion in Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 60–66, 2010.
- S. Ahmad, A. Dasgupta, and M. A. Kenny, “Fatty acid abnormalities in hemodialysis patients: effect of L-carnitine administration,” Kidney International, vol. 36, no. 27, pp. S243–S246, 1989.