- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Allergy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 604854, 6 pages
The Phenotype of Hormone-Related Allergic and Autoimmune Diseases in the Skin: Annular Lesions That Lateralize
School of Medicine, University of Missouri-Kansas City, 2411 Holmes Street, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
Received 11 August 2012; Accepted 12 November 2012
Academic Editor: William E. Berger
Copyright © 2012 Ramya Kollipara et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Oertelt-Prigione, “The influence of sex and gender on the immune response,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 11, pp. A479–A485, 2012.
- D. R. Trawick, C. Holm, and J. Wirth, “Influence of gender on rates of hospitalization, hospital course, and hypercapnea in high-risk patients admitted for asthma: a 10-year retrospective study at Yale-New Haven Hospital,” Chest, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 115–119, 2001.
- S. Muñoz-Cruz, C. Togno-Pierce, and J. Morales-Montor, “Non-reproductive effects of sex steroids: their immunoregulatory role,” Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 11, no. 13, pp. 1714–1727, 2011.
- G. Ghazeeri, L. Abdullah, and O. Abbas, “Immunological differences in women compared with men: overview and contributing factors,” American Journal of Reproductive Immunology, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 163–169, 2011.
- A. V. Rubtsov, K. Rubtsova, J. W. Kappler, and P. Marrack, “Genetic and hormonal factors in female-biased autoimmunity,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 494–498, 2010.
- L. S. Ackerman, “Sex hormones and the genesis of autoimmunity,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 142, no. 3, pp. 371–376, 2006.
- U. Nussinovitch and Y. Shoenfeld, “The role of gender and organ specific autoimmunity,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 11, pp. A377–A385, 2012.
- M. Zen, A. Ghirardello, L. Iaccarino et al., “Hormones, immune response, and pregnancy in healthy women and SLE patients,” Swiss Medical Weekly, vol. 140, no. 13-14, pp. 187–201, 2010.
- C. M. Grimaldi, “Sex and systemic lupus erythematosus: the role of the sex hormones estrogen and prolactin on the regulation of autoreactive B cells,” Current Opinion in Rheumatology, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 456–461, 2006.
- M. Cutolo, A. Sulli, and R. H. Straub, “Estrogen metabolism and autoimmunity,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 11, pp. A460–A464, 2012.
- T. P. Lee and B. L. Chiang, “Sex differences in spontaneous versus infuced animal models of autoimmunity,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 11, pp. A422–A429, 2012.
- W. Y. Son, M. Das, E. Shalom-Paz, and H. Holzer, “Mechanisms of follicle selection and development,” Minerva Ginecologica, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 89–102, 2011.
- M. Mihm and A. C. Evans, “Mechanisms for dominant follicle selection in monovulatory species: a comparison of morphological, endocrine and intraovarian events in cows, mares and women,” Reproduction in Domestic Animals, vol. 43, pp. 48–56, 2008.
- E. A. McLaughlin and S. C. McIver, “Awakening the oocyte: controlling primordial follicle development,” Reproduction, vol. 137, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2009.
- P. Reddy, W. Zheng, and K. Liu, “Mechanisms maintaining the dormancy and survival of mammalian primordial follicles,” Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 96–103, 2010.
- Z. J. Lan, X. Xu, and A. J. Cooney, “Differential oocyte-specific expression of Cre recombinase activity in GDF-9-iCre, Zp3cre, and Msx2Cre transgenic mice,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 1469–1474, 2004.
- A. N. Shelling, “Premature ovarian failure,” Reproduction, vol. 140, no. 5, pp. 633–641, 2010.
- J. G. Kim, S. Y. Moon, Y. S. Chang, and J. Y. Lee, “Autoimmune premature ovarian failure,” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 59–66, 1995.
- S. Dragojević-Dikić, D. Marisavljević, A. Mitrović, S. Dikić, T. Jovanović, and S. Janković-Ražnatović, “An immunological insight into premature ovarian failure (POF),” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 771–774, 2010.
- V. Khole, “Does ovarian autoimmunity play a role in the pathophysiology of premature ovarian insufficiency?” Journal of Mid-Life Health, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 9–14, 2010.
- D. Adhikari and K. Liu, “Molecular mechanisms underlying the activation of mammalian primordial follicles,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 438–464, 2009.
- J. J. Eppig, “Oocyte control of ovarian follicular development and function in mammals,” Reproduction, vol. 122, no. 6, pp. 829–838, 2001.
- D. L. Russell and A. Salustri, “Extracellular matrix of the cumulus-oocyte complex,” Seminars in Reproductive Medicine, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 217–227, 2006.
- L. Zhuo and K. Kimata, “Cumulus oophorus extracellular matrix: its construction and regulation,” Cell Structure and Function, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 189–196, 2001.
- L. Devoto, P. Kohen, A. Muñoz, and J. F. Strauss, “Human corpus luteum physiology and the luteal-phase dysfunction associated with ovarian stimulation,” Reproductive BioMedicine Online, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. S19–S24, 2009.
- J. Choi, M. Jo, E. Lee, and D. Choi, “The role of autophagy in corpus luteum regression in the rat,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 465–472, 2011.
- A. Miyamoto, K. Shirasuna, and K. Sasahara, “Local regulation of corpus luteum development and regression in the cow: impact of angiogenic and vasoactive factors,” Domestic Animal Endocrinology, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 159–169, 2009.
- V. Molho-Pessach and J. V. Schaffer, “Blaschko lines and other patterns of cutaneous mosaicism,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 205–225, 2011.
- B. K. Sun and H. Tsao, “X-chromosome inactivation and skin disease,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 128, no. 12, pp. 2753–2759, 2008.
- I. Goldberg and E. Sprecher, “Patterned disorders in dermatology,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 498–503, 2011.
- G. Hughes, “Progesterone and autoimmune disease,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 11, pp. Z502–A514, 2012.
- N. Crisosto, B. Echiburú, M. Maliqueo, et al., “Improvement of hyperandrogenism and hyperinsulinemia during pregnancy in women with polycystic ovary syndrome: possible effect in the ovarian follicular mass of their daughters,” Fertility Sterility, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 218–224, 2012.