- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Allergy
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 712090, 6 pages
Apgar Score Is Related to Development of Atopic Dermatitis: Cotwin Control Study
1Department of Respiratory Medicine, Bispebjerg Hospital, 2400 Copenhagen, Denmark
2Danish Epidemiology Science Centre, Statens Serum Institut, 2300 Copenhagen, Denmark
3Institute of Regional Health Services Research & Odense Patient Data Explorative Network, University of Southern Denmark, 5000 Odense, Denmark
4The Danish Twin Registry, University of Southern Denmark, 5000 Odense, Denmark
5Danish Pediatric Asthma Center, Gentofte Hospital, 2900 Hellerup, Denmark
6Department of Dermato-Allergology, Gentofte Hospital, 2900 Hellerup, Denmark
Received 27 May 2013; Revised 20 September 2013; Accepted 21 September 2013
Academic Editor: S. L. Johnston
Copyright © 2013 Vibeke Naeser et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. A. Akdis, M. Akdis, T. Bieber, et al., “Diagnosis and treatment of atopic dermatitis in children and adults: European Academy of Allergology and Clinical Immunology/American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology/PRACTALL consensus report,” Allergy, vol. 61, no. 8, pp. 969–987, 2006.
- R. A. H. M. van den Oord and A. Sheikh, “Filaggrin gene defects and risk of developing allergic sensitisation and allergic disorders: systematic review and meta-analysis,” British Medical Journal, vol. 339, Article ID b2433, 2009.
- L. Paternoster, M. Standl, C. M. Chen, et al., “Meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies identifies three new risk loci for atopic dermatitis,” Nature Genetics, vol. 44, pp. 187–192, 2011.
- L. Stensen, S. F. Thomsen, and V. Backer, “Change in prevalence of atopic dermatitis between 1986 and 2001 among children,” Allergy and Asthma Proceedings, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 392–396, 2008.
- T. K. Ninan and G. Russell, “Respiratory symptoms and atopy in Aberdeen schoolchildren: evidence from two surveys 25 years apart,” British Medical Journal, vol. 304, no. 6831, pp. 873–875, 1992.
- M. I. Asher, S. Montefort, B. Björkstén et al., “Worldwide time trends in the prevalence of symptoms of asthma, allergic rhinoconjunctivitis, and eczema in childhood: ISAAC Phases One and Three repeat multicountry cross-sectional surveys,” The Lancet, vol. 368, no. 9537, pp. 733–743, 2006.
- C. G. Carson, L. B. Halkjaer, S. M. Jensen, and H. Bisgaard, “Alcohol intake in pregnancy increases the child's risk of atopic dermatitis. The COPSAC prospective birth cohort study of a high risk population,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, Article ID e42710, 2012.
- A. Linneberg, J. Petersen, M. Grønbæk, and C. S. Benn, “Alcohol during pregnancy and atopic dermatitis in the offspring,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 1678–1683, 2004.
- C. Lundholm, A. K. Örtqvist, P. Lichtenstein, S. Cnattingius, and C. Almqvist, “Impaired fetal growth decreases the risk of childhood atopic eczema: a Swedish twin study,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 1044–1053, 2010.
- A. Linneberg, J. B. Simonsen, J. Petersen, L. G. Stensballe, and C. S. Benn, “Differential effects of risk factors on infant wheeze and atopic dermatitis emphasize a different etiology,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 184–189, 2006.
- D. J. Purvis, J. M. D. Thompson, P. M. Clark et al., “Risk factors for atopic dermatitis in New Zealand children at 3.5 year of age,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 152, no. 4, pp. 742–749, 2005.
- C. S. Benn, J. Wohlfahrt, P. Aaby et al., “Breastfeeding and risk of atopic dermatitis, by parental history of allergy, during the first 18 months of life,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 160, no. 3, pp. 217–223, 2004.
- J. F. Ludvigsson, M. Mostrom, J. Ludvigsson, and K. Duchen, “Exclusive breastfeeding and risk of atopic dermatitis in some 8300 infants,” Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 201–208, 2005.
- P. Leadbitter, N. Pearce, S. Cheng et al., “Relationship between fetal growth and the development of asthma and atopy in childhood,” Thorax, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 905–910, 1999.
- A. Sevelsted and H. Bisgaard, “Neonatal size in term children is associated with asthma at age 7, but not with atopic dermatitis or allergic sensitization,” Allergy, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 670–675, 2012.
- M. M. Moore, S. L. Rifas-Shiman, J. W. Rich-Edwards et al., “Perinatal predictors of atopic dermatitis occurring in the first six months of life,” Pediatrics, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 468–474, 2004.
- C. D. Mallen, S. Mottram, G. Wynne-Jones, and E. Thomas, “Birth-related exposures and asthma and allergy in adulthood: a population-based cross-sectional study of young adults in North Staffordshire,” Journal of Asthma, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 309–312, 2008.
- L. Christiansen, H. Frederiksen, K. Schousboe et al., “Age- and sex-differences in the validity of questionnaire-based zygosity in twins,” Twin Research, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 275–278, 2003.
- D. L. Duffy, “The co-twin control study,” in Advances in Twin and Sib-Pair Analysis, T. D. Inspector, H. Snieder, and A. J. MacGregor, Eds., Greenwich Medical Media, 2000.
- B. Xu, J. Pekkanen, and M.-R. Järvelin, “Obstetric complications and asthma in childhood,” Journal of Asthma, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 589–594, 2000.
- J. Metsälä, A. Kilkkinen, M. Kaila et al., “Perinatal factors and the risk of asthma in childhood—a population-based register study in Finland,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 168, no. 2, pp. 170–178, 2008.
- M. Räsänen, J. Kaprio, T. Laitinen, T. Winter, M. Koskenvuo, and L. A. Laitinen, “Perinatal risk factors for asthma in Finnish adolescent twins,” Thorax, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 25–31, 2000.
- M. Räsänen, J. Kaprio, T. Laitinen, T. Winter, M. Koskenvuo, and L. A. Laitinen, “Perinatal risk factors for hay fever—a study among 2550 Finnish twin families,” Twin Research, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 392–399, 2001.
- B. Källén, O. Finnström, K. G. Nygren, and P. Otterblad Olausson, “Asthma in Swedish children conceived by in vitro fertilisation,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, 2012.
- S. E. Gilman, H. Gardener, and S. L. Buka, “Maternal smoking during pregnancy and children's cognitive and physical development: a causal risk factor?” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 168, no. 5, pp. 522–531, 2008.
- S. P. DaVeiga, “Epidemiology of atopic dermatitis: a review,” Allergy and Asthma Proceedings, vol. 33, pp. 227–234, 2012.
- R. Schmitz, K. Atzpodien, and M. Schlaud, “Prevalence and risk factors of atopic diseases in German children and adolescents,” Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, vol. 23, pp. 716–723, 2012.
- L. M. Silva, P. W. Jansen, E. A. P. Steegers et al., “Mother's educational level and fetal growth: the genesis of health inequalities,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 1250–1261, 2010.
- C.-Y. Hwang, Y.-J. Chen, M.-W. Lin et al., “Prevalence of atopic dermatitis, allergic rhinitis and asthma in Taiwan: a national study 2000 to 2007,” Acta Dermato-Venereologica, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 589–594, 2010.
- H. Saeki, H. Iizuka, Y. Mori et al., “Prevalence of atopic dermatitis in Japanese elementary schoolchildren,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 152, no. 1, pp. 110–114, 2005.
- L. Naldi, F. Parazzini, and S. Gallus, “Prevalence of atopic dermatitis in Italian schoolchildren: factors affecting its variation,” Acta Dermato-Venereologica, vol. 89, pp. 122–125, 2009.
- N. Ballardini, I. Kull, C. Söderhäll, G. Lilja, M. Wickman, and C. F. Wahlgren, “Eczema severity in preadolescent children and its relation to sex, filaggrin mutations, asthma, rhinitis, aggravating factors and topical treatment: a report from the BAMSE birth cohort,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 168, pp. 588–594, 2013.
- S. A. Friedman, E. Schiff, L. Kao et al., “Do twins mature earlier than singletons? Results from a matched cohort study,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 176, no. 6, pp. 1193–1199, 1997.