- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Amino Acids
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 493209, 9 pages
Polyamine-Induced Rapid Root Abscission in Azolla pinnata
1Faculty of Science, University of the Ryukyus, Nishihara 903-0213, Japan
2Department of Biology, Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park, CA 94928, USA
3Department of Chemistry, Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park, CA 94928, USA
Received 1 June 2012; Accepted 3 August 2012
Academic Editor: Maria Patricia Benavides
Copyright © 2012 Sushma Gurung et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. W. Galston and R. K. Sawhney, “Polyamines in plant physiology,” Plant Physiology, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 406–410, 1990.
- J. Martin-Tanguy and M. Aribaud, “Polyamine metabolism, floral initiation and floral development in chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum morifolium Ramat.),” Plant Growth Regulation, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 23–31, 1994.
- D. Walters, “Resistance to plant pathogens: possible roles for free polyamines and polyamine catabolism,” New Phytologist, vol. 159, no. 1, pp. 109–115, 2003.
- N. Palavan-Unsal, “Stress and polyamine metabolism,” Bulgarian Journal of Plant Physiology, vol. 21, no. 1–3, pp. 3–14, 1995.
- F. J. Richards and R. G. Coleman, “Occurrence of putrescine in potassium-deficient barley,” Nature, vol. 170, no. 4324, p. 460, 1952.
- H. E. Flores, “Changes in polyamine metabolism in response to abiotic stress,” in The Biochemistry and Physiology of Polyamines in Plants, R. D. Slocum and H. E. Flores, Eds., pp. 214–225, CRC press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1991.
- A. Bouchereau, A. Aziz, F. Larher, and J. Martin-Tanguy, “Polyamines and environmental challenges: recent development,” Plant Science, vol. 140, no. 2, pp. 103–125, 1999.
- M. D. Groppa and M. P. Benavides, “Polyamines and abiotic stress: recent advances,” Amino Acids, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 35–45, 2008.
- M. Arasimowicz-Jelonek, J. Floryszak-Wieczorek, and J. Kubiś, “Interaction between polyamine and nitric oxide signaling in adaptive responses to drought in cucumber,” Journal of Plant Growth Regulation, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 177–186, 2009.
- T. A. Lumpkin and D. L. Plucknett, Azolla as a Green Manure: Use and Management in Crop Production, Westview press, Boulder, Colo, USA, 1982.
- S. Kitoh, N. Shiomi, and E. Uheda, “The growth and nitrogen fixation of Azolla filiculoides Lam. in polluted water,” Aquatic Botany, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 129–139, 1993.
- E. Uheda and S. Kitoh, “Rapid shedding of roots from Azolla filiculoides plants in response to inhibitors of respiration,” Plant and Cell Physiology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 37–43, 1994.
- E. Uheda, S. Kitoh, and N. Shiomi, “Response of six Azolla species to transient high-temperature stress,” Aquatic Botany, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 87–92, 1999.
- E. Uheda, S. Nakamura, and S. Kitoh, “Events associated with the rapid separation of cells from detached roots of Azolla filiculoides depend on pH,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 1451–1457, 1994.
- B. H. Marsh, J. L. Corbin, and G. A. Peters, “Changes in soluble amino acid and polyamine composition associated with increasing plant density and the onset of sporulation in Azolla,” Symbiosis, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 315–326, 1998.
- J.-S. Hur and A. R. Wellburn, “Effects of atmospheric O3 on Azolla-Anabaena symbiosis,” Annals of Botany, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 205–209, 1994.
- J.-S. Hur and A. R. Wellburn, “Effects of atmospheric NO2 on Azolla-Anabaena symbiosis,” Annals of Botany, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 137–141, 1994.
- A. P. Gerald and C. M. Berger, “The Azolla, Anabaena azollae relationship,” Plant Physiology, vol. 53, pp. 813–819, 1974.
- J. Acreman, “Synthetic media for growing duckweeds,” July 2012, University of Toronto Culture Collection of Algae and Cyanobacteria (UTCC), http:\\www.mobot.org/jwcross/duckweed/media.htm#UTCC.
- G. V. Johnson, P. A. Mayeux, and H. J. Evans, “A cobalt requirement for symbiotic growth of Azolla filiculoides in the absence of combined nitrogen,” Plant Physiology, vol. 41, pp. 852–855, 1966.
- A. Cona, G. Rea, R. Angelini, R. Federico, and P. Tavladoraki, “Functions of amine oxidases in plant development and defence,” Trends in Plant Science, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 80–88, 2006.
- J. Martin-Tanguy, “Metabolism and function of polyamines in plants: recent development (new approaches),” Plant Growth Regulation, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 135–148, 2001.
- N. N. Tun, C. Santa-Catarina, T. Begum et al., “Polyamines induce rapid biosynthesis of nitric oxide (NO) in Arabidopsis thaliana seedlings,” Plant and Cell Physiology, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 346–354, 2006.
- H. Yamasaki and M. F. Cohen, “NO signal at the crossroads: polyamine-induced nitric oxide synthesis in plants?” Trends in Plant Science, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 522–524, 2006.
- E. P. Rosales, M. F. Iannone, M. D. Groppa, and M. P. Benavides, “Polyamine modulate nitrate reductase activity in wheat leaves: involvement of nitric oxide,” Amino Acids, vol. 42, no. 2-3, pp. 857–865.
- H. Yamasaki, “Nitrite-dependent nitric oxide production pathway: implications for involvement of active nitrogen spicies in photoinhibition in vivo,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, vol. 355, no. 1402, pp. 1477–1488, 2000.
- V. Silveira, C. Santa-Catarina, N. N. Tun et al., “Polyamine effects on the endogenous polyamine contents, nitric oxide release, growth and differentiation of embryogenic suspension cultures of Araucaria angustifolia (Bert.) O. Ktze.,” Plant Science, vol. 171, no. 1, pp. 91–98, 2006.
- S. J. Neill, R. Desikan, A. Clarke, R. D. Hurst, and J. T. Hancock, “Hydrogen peroxide and nitric oxide as signalling molecules in plants,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 53, no. 372, pp. 1237–1247, 2002.
- M. Arasimowicz and J. Floryszak-Wieczorek, “Nitric oxide as a bioactive signalling molecule in plant stress responses,” Plant Science, vol. 172, no. 5, pp. 876–887, 2007.
- T. Kusano, T. Berberich, C. Tateda, and Y. Takahashi, “Polyamines: essential factors for growth and survival,” Planta, vol. 228, no. 3, pp. 367–381, 2008.
- N. Bagini and R. Pistocchi, “Uptake and transport of polyamines and inhibitors of polyamine metabolism in plants,” in The Biochemistry and Physiology of Polyamines in Plants, R. D. Slocum and H. E. Flores, Eds., pp. 105–118, CRC press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1991.
- S. G. He, D. Joyce, and M. Z. Wang, “Characterization of polyamine oxidase from the aquatic nitrogen-fixing fern Azolla imbricata,” Plant Science, vol. 169, no. 1, pp. 185–190, 2005.
- A. Aziz, J. Martin-Tanguy, and F. Larher, “Plasticity of polyamine metabolism associated with high osmotic stress in rape leaf discs and with ethylene treatment,” Plant Growth Regulation, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 153–163, 1997.
- H. Yoda, Y. Hiroi, and H. Sano, “Polyamine oxidase is one of the key elements for oxidative burst to induce programmed cell death in tobacco cultured cells,” Plant Physiology, vol. 142, no. 1, pp. 193–206, 2006.
- A. Rrohlich and J. Durner, “The hunt for plant nitric oxide synthase (NOS): is one really needed?” Plant Science, vol. 181, pp. 401–404, 2011.