- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Amino Acids
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 650840, 6 pages
Structure and Dynamics of Dinucleosomes Assessed by Atomic Force Microscopy
1Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198-6025, USA
2Department of High Technologies, The International Solomon University, 1b Sholudenko Street, Kyiv 01135, Ukraine
3Department of Application Services, Infopulse Ukraine LLC, 24 Polyova Street, Kyiv 03056, Ukraine
Received 21 June 2011; Accepted 13 August 2011
Academic Editor: Kunchithapadam Swaminathan
Copyright © 2012 Nina A. Filenko et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. C. Hansen, “Conformational dynamics of the chromatin fiber in solution: determinants, mechanisms, and functions,” Annual Review of Biophysics and Biomolecular Structure, vol. 31, pp. 361–392, 2002.
- F. Thoma, Koller Th., and A. Klug, “Involvement of histone H1 in the organization of the nucleosome and of the salt-dependent superstructures of chromatin,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 403–427, 1979.
- M. Garcia-Ramirez, F. Dong, and J. Ausio, “Role of the histone 'tails' in the folding of oligonucleosomes depleted of histone H1,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 267, no. 27, pp. 19587–19595, 1992.
- C. L. Woodcock and S. Dimitrov, “Higher-order structure of chromatin and chromosomes,” Current Opinion in Genetics and Development, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 130–135, 2001.
- K. Luger, A. W. Mäder, R. K. Richmond, D. F. Sargent, and T. J. Richmond, “Crystal structure of the nucleosome core particle at 2.8 Å resolution,” Nature, vol. 389, no. 6648, pp. 251–260, 1997.
- B. Dorigo, T. Schalch, K. Bystricky, and T. J. Richmond, “Chromatin fiber folding: requirement for the histone H4 N-terminal tail,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 327, no. 1, pp. 85–96, 2003.
- B. Dorigo, T. Schalch, A. Kulangara, S. Duda, R. R. Schroeder, and T. J. Richmond, “Nucleosome arrays reveal the two-start organization of the chromatin fiber,” Science, vol. 306, no. 5701, pp. 1571–1573, 2004.
- J. Y. Fan, D. Rangasamy, K. Luger, and D. J. Tremethick, “H2A.Z alters the nucleosome surface to promote HP1α-mediated chromatin fiber folding,” Molecular Cell, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 655–661, 2004.
- C. Tse and J. C. Hansen, “Hybrid trypsinized nucleosomal arrays: identification of multiple functional roles of the H2A/H2B and H3/H4 N-termini in chromatin fiber compaction,” Biochemistry, vol. 36, no. 38, pp. 11381–11388, 1997.
- L. M. Carruthers and J. C. Hansen, “The core histone N termini function independently of linker histones during chromatin condensation,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 47, pp. 37285–37290, 2000.
- F. Gordon, K. Luger, and J. C. Hansen, “The core histone N-terminal tail domains function independently and additively during salt-dependent oligomerization of nucleosomal arrays,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 280, no. 40, pp. 33701–33706, 2005.
- G. Arya and T. Schlick, “A tale of tails: how histone tails mediate chromatin compaction in different salt and linker histone environments,” Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol. 113, no. 16, pp. 4045–4059, 2009.
- P. Y. Kan, T. L. Caterino, and J. J. Hayes, “The H4 tail domain participates in intra- And internucleosome interactions with protein and DNA during folding and oligomerization of nucleosome arrays,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 538–546, 2009.
- F. Montel, H. Menoni, M. Castelnovo et al., “The dynamics of individual nucleosomes controls the chromatin condensation pathway: direct atomic force microscopy visualization of variant chromatin,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 544–553, 2009.
- J. Y. Lee, S. Wei, and T. -H. Lee, “Effects of histone acetylation by Piccolo NuA4 on the structure of a nucleosome and the interactions between two nucleosomes,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 286, no. 13, pp. 11099–11109, 2011.
- P. T. Lowary and J. Widom, “New DNA sequence rules for high affinity binding to histone octamer and sequence-directed nucleosome positioning,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 276, no. 1, pp. 19–42, 1998.
- P. N. Dyer, R. S. Edayathumangalam, C. L. White et al., “Reconstitution of nucleosome core particles from recombinant histones and DNA,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 375, pp. 23–44, 2004.
- I. Menshikova, E. Menshikov, N. Filenko, and Y. L. Lyubchenko, “Nucleosomes structure and dynamics: effect of CHAPS,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 129–137, 2011.
- L. S. Shlyakhtenko, A. Y. Lushnikov, and Y. L. Lyubchenko, “Dynamics of nucleosomes revealed by time-lapse atomic force microscopy,” Biochemistry, vol. 48, no. 33, pp. 7842–7848, 2009.
- Y. L. Lyubchenko and L. S. Shlyakhtenko, “AFM for analysis of structure and dynamics of DNA and protein-DNA complexes,” Methods, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 206–213, 2009.
- L. S. Shlyakhtenko, A. A. Gall, A. Filonov, Z. Cerovac, A. Lushnikov, and Y. L. Lyubchenko, “Silatrane-based surface chemistry for immobilization of DNA, protein-DNA complexes and other biological materials,” Ultramicroscopy, vol. 97, no. 1–4, pp. 279–287, 2003.
- N. A. Filenko, C. Kolar, J. T. West et al., “The role of histone H4 biotinylation in the structure of nucleosomes,” PLoS One, vol. 6, no. 1, article e16299, 2011.
- W. J. A. Koopmans, A. Brehm, C. Logie, T. Schmidt, and J. Van Noort, “Single-pair FRET microscopy reveals mononucleosome dynamics,” Journal of Fluorescence, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 785–795, 2007.
- S. Geggier and A. Vologodskii, “Sequence dependence of DNA bending rigidity,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, no. 35, pp. 15421–15426, 2010.
- G. Li, M. Levitus, C. Bustamante, and J. Widom, “Rapid spontaneous accessibility of nucleosomal DNA,” Nature Structural and Molecular Biology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 46–53, 2005.
- G. Li and J. Widom, “Nucleosomes facilitate their own invasion,” Nature Structural and Molecular Biology, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 763–769, 2004.
- A. Miyagi, T. Ando, and Y. L. Lyubchenko, “Dynamics of nucleosomes assessed with time-lapse high-speed atomic force microscopy,” Biochemistry, vol. 50, no. 37, pp. 7901–7908, 2011.
- F. A.J. Muskiet, G. Jansen, and B. G. Wolthers, “Gas-chromatographic determination of cholesterol sulfate in plasma and erythrocytes, for the diagnosis of recessive X-linked ichthyosis,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 1404–1407, 1983.
- J. Langlais, M. Zollinger, and L. Plante, “Localization of cholesteryl sulfate in human spermatozoa in support of a hypothesis for the mechanism of capacitation,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 78, no. 12, pp. 7266–7270, 1981.
- E. Gurpide, K. D. Roberts, M. T. Welch, L. Bandy, and S. Lieberman, “Studies on the metabolism of blood-borne cholesterol sulfate,” Biochemistry, vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 3352–3362, 1966.