- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Amino Acids
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 691463, 6 pages
In Vitro Activities of Kissorphin, a Novel Hexapeptide KiSS-1 Derivative, in Neuronal Cells
Department of Human and Health Sciences, School of Life Sciences, University of Westminster, London W1W 6UW, UK
Received 31 March 2012; Accepted 11 June 2012
Academic Editor: Dorothy Gietzen
Copyright © 2012 Nathaniel G. N. Milton. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. R. Kirby, J. J. Maguire, W. H. Colledge, and A. P. Davenport, “International Union of Basic and Clinical Pharmacology. LXXVII. Kisspeptin receptor nomenclature, distribution, and function,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 565–578, 2010.
- Y. Lyubimov, M. Engstrom, S. Wurster, J. M. Savola, E. R. Korpi, and P. Panula, “Human kisspeptins activate neuropeptide FF2 receptor,” Neuroscience, vol. 170, no. 1, pp. 117–122, 2010.
- S. Oishi, R. Misu, K. Tomita et al., “Activation of neuropeptide FF receptors by kisspeptin receptor ligands,” ACS Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 53–57, 2011.
- F. Simonin, M. Schmitt, J. P. Laulin et al., “RF9, a potent and selective neuropeptide FF receptor antagonist, prevents opioid-induced tolerance associated with hyperalgesia,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 466–471, 2006.
- H. Y. T. Yang, W. Fratta, E. A. Majane, and E. Costa, “Isolation, sequencing, synthesis, and pharmacological characterization of two brain neuropeptides that modulate the action of morphine,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 82, no. 22, pp. 7757–7761, 1985.
- N. Vyas, C. Mollereau, G. Chevé, and C. R. McCurdy, “Structure-activity relationships of neuropeptide FF and related peptidic and non-peptidic derivatives,” Peptides, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 990–996, 2006.
- P. Panula, A. A. Aarnisalo, and K. Wasowicz, “Neuropeptide FF, a mammalian neuropeptide with multiple functions,” Progress in Neurobiology, vol. 48, no. 4-5, pp. 461–487, 1996.
- S. Gicquel, H. Mazarguil, C. Desprat et al., “Structure-activity study of neuropeptide FF: contribution of N-terminal regions to affinity and activity,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 37, no. 21, pp. 3477–3481, 1994.
- V. M. Navarro and M. Tena-Sempere, “Neuroendocrine control by kisspeptins: role in metabolic regulation of fertility,” Nature Reviews Endocrinology, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 40–53, 2012.
- M. Kotani, M. Detheux, A. Vandenbogaerde et al., “The metastasis suppressor gene KiSS-1 encodes kisspeptins, the natural ligands of the orphan G protein-coupled receptor GPR54,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 37, pp. 34631–34636, 2001.
- A. I. Muir, L. Chamberlain, N. A. Elshourbagy et al., “AXOR12, a novel human G protein-coupled receptor, activated by the peptide KiSS-1,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 31, pp. 28969–28975, 2001.
- T. Ohtaki, Y. Shintani, S. Honda et al., “Metastasis suppressor gene KiSS-1 encodes peptide ligand of a G-protein-coupled receptor,” Nature, vol. 411, no. 6837, pp. 613–617, 2001.
- M. Bilban, N. Ghaffari-Tabrizi, E. Hintermann et al., “Kisspeptin-10, a KiSS-1/metastin-derived decapeptide, is a physiological invasion inhibitor of primary human trophoblasts,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 117, no. 8, pp. 1319–1328, 2004.
- E. Gutiérrez-Pascual, J. Leprince, A. J. Martínez-Fuentes et al., “In vivo and in vitro structure-activity relationships and structural conformation of kisspeptin-10-related peptides,” Molecular Pharmacology, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 58–67, 2009.
- F. Kersanté, J. Y. Wang, J. C. Chen, C. Mollereau, and J. M. Zajac, “Anti-opioid effects of neuropeptide FF receptors in the ventral tegmental area,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 488, no. 3, pp. 305–309, 2011.
- I. Quelven, A. Roussin, O. Burlet-Schiltz et al., “Dissociation of pharmacological pro- and anti-opioid effects by neuropeptide FF analogs,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 449, no. 1-2, pp. 91–98, 2002.
- T. Murase, H. Arima, K. Kondo, and Y. Oiso, “Neuropeptide FF reduces food intake in rats,” Peptides, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 353–354, 1996.
- M. A. Cline, W. Nandar, and J. O. Rogers, “Central neuropeptide FF reduces feed consumption and affects hypothalamic chemistry in chicks,” Neuropeptides, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 433–439, 2007.
- Q. Fang, N. Li, T. N. Jiang, Q. Liu, Y. L. Li, and R. Wang, “Pressor and tachycardic responses to intrathecal administration of neuropeptide FF in anesthetized rats,” Peptides, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 683–688, 2010.
- L. Prokai, A. D. Zharikova, A. Juhasz, and K. Prokai-Tatrai, “Cardiovascular effects of neuropeptide FF antagonists,” Peptides, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 1015–1019, 2006.
- I. Lefrère, P. De Coppet, J. C. Camelin et al., “Neuropeptide AF and FF modulation of adipocyte metabolism. Primary insights from functional genomics and effects on β-adrenergic responsiveness,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 42, pp. 39169–39178, 2002.
- M. Minault, J. C. Lecron, S. Labrouche, G. Simonnet, and J. Gombert, “Characterization of binding sites for neuropeptide FF on T lymphocytes of the Jurkat cell line,” Peptides, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 105–111, 1995.
- N. A. Elshourbagy, R. S. Ames, L. R. Fitzgerald et al., “Receptor for the pain modulatory neuropeptides FF and AF is an orphan G protein-coupled receptor,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 34, pp. 25965–25971, 2000.
- J. A. Bonini, K. A. Jones, N. Adham et al., “Identification and characterization of two G protein-coupled receptors for neuropeptide FF,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 50, pp. 39324–39331, 2000.
- M. Kotani, C. Mollereau, M. Detheux et al., “Functional characterization of a human receptor for neuropeptide FF and related peptides,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 133, no. 1, pp. 138–144, 2001.
- T. Takino, N. Koshikawa, H. Miyamori et al., “Cleavage of metastasis suppressor gene product KiSS-1 protein/metastin by matrix metalloproteinases,” Oncogene, vol. 22, no. 30, pp. 4617–4626, 2003.
- E. J. Husten and B. A. Eipper, “Purification and characterization of PAM-1, an integral membrane protein involved in peptide processing,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 312, no. 2, pp. 487–492, 1994.
- J. N. Wood, S. J. Bevan, P. R. Coote et al., “Novel cell lines display properties of nociceptive sensory neurons,” Proceedings of the Royal Society B, vol. 241, no. 1302, pp. 187–194, 1990.
- R. C. Seeger, S. A. Rayner, and A. Banerjee, “Morphology, growth, chromosomal pattern, and fibrinolytic activity of two new human neuroblastoma cell lines,” Cancer Research, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 1364–1371, 1977.
- F. W. Kluxen, A. Hülster, M. Droste, and T. Pfeuffer, “The expression of a novel Ca2+/CaM stimulated adenylyl cyclase activity in the neuroblastoma cell line Lan-1 is regulated by cell density,” Brain Research, vol. 740, no. 1-2, pp. 169–174, 1996.
- N. G. N. Milton, “Homocysteine inhibits hydrogen peroxide breakdown by catalase,” The Open Enzyme Inhibition Journal, vol. 1, pp. 34–41, 2008.
- M. Calissano and D. S. Latchman, “Cell-specific regulation of the pro-survival Brn-3b transcription factor by microRNAs,” Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 317–323, 2010.
- S. C. Schock, K. S. Jolin-Dahel, P. C. Schock et al., “Development of dissociated cryopreserved rat cortical neurons in vitro,” Journal of Neuroscience Methods, vol. 205, no. 2, pp. 324–333, 2012.
- F. Talmont, L. Moulédous, L. Piedra-Garcia et al., “Pharmacological characterization of the mouse NPFF2 receptor,” Peptides, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 215–220, 2010.
- H. Kamata, C. Tanaka, H. Yagisawa, and H. Hirata, “Nerve growth factor and forskolin prevent H2O2-induced apoptosis in PC12 cells by glutathione independent mechanism,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 212, no. 3, pp. 179–182, 1996.
- T. Takadera, H. Yumoto, Y. Tozuka, and T. Ohyashiki, “Prostaglandin E2 induces caspase-dependent apoptosis in rat cortical cells,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 317, no. 2, pp. 61–64, 2002.
- N. G. N. Milton, N. P. Mayor, and J. Rawlinson, “Identification of amyloid-β binding sites using an antisense peptide approach,” NeuroReport, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 2561–2566, 2001.
- N. G. N. Milton, “Amyloid-β phosphorylation,” in Cell Biology Protocols, J. R. Harris, J. M. Graham, and D. Rickwood, Eds., pp. 364–368, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 2006.
- A. K. Roseweir, A. S. Kauffman, J. T. Smith et al., “Discovery of potent kisspeptin antagonists delineate physiological mechanisms of gonadotropin regulation,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 3920–3929, 2009.
- C. Mollereau, C. Gouardères, Y. Dumont et al., “Agonist and antagonist activities on human NPFF2 receptors of the NPY ligands GR231118 and BIBP3226,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 133, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 2001.
- G. M. Anderson, “Pituitary actions of RFamide peptides: a critique of the evidence,” The Open Neuroendocrinology Journal, vol. 4, pp. 51–63, 2011.
- M. Findeisen, D. Rathmann, and A. G. Beck-Sickinger, “Structure-activity studies of RFamide peptides reveal subtype-selective activation of neuropeptide FF1 and FF2 receptors,” ChemMedChem, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 1081–1093, 2011.
- N. Iijima, K. Takumi, N. Sawai, and H. Ozawa, “An immunohistochemical study on the expressional dynamics of kisspeptin neurons relevant to GnRH neurons using a newly developed anti-kisspeptin antibody,” Journal of Molecular Neuroscience, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 146–154, 2011.
- V. Dupouy, A. Puget, A. Eschalier, and J. M. Zajac, “Species differences in the localization of neuropeptide FF receptors in rodent and lagomorph brain and spinal cord,” Peptides, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 399–405, 1996.
- M. L. Nieminen, A. Brandt, P. Pietilä, and P. Panula, “Expression of mammalian RF-amide peptides neuropeptide FF (NPFF), prolactin-releasing peptide (PrRP) and the PrRP receptor in the peripheral tissues of the rat,” Peptides, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1695–1701, 2000.
- Z. Zeng, T. P. McDonald, R. Wang, Q. Liu, and C. P. Austin, “Neuropeptide FF receptor 2 (NPFF2) is localized to pain-processing regions in the primate spinal cord and the lower level of the medulla oblongata,” Journal of Chemical Neuroanatomy, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 269–278, 2003.
- C. Gouardéres, A. Puget, and J. M. Zajac, “Detailed distribution of neuropeptide FF receptors (NPFF1 and NPFF2) in the rat, mouse, octodon, rabbit, guinea pig, and marmoset monkey brains: a comparative autoradiographic study,” Synapse, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 249–269, 2004.
- Y. Teng, M. Liu, and J. K. Cowell, ““Functional interrelationship between the WASF3 and KISS1 metastasis-associated genes in breast cancer cells,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 129, no. 12, pp. 2825–2835, 2011.
- Y. Terao, S. Kumano, Y. Takatsu et al., “Expression of KiSS-1, a metastasis suppressor gene, in trophoblast giant cells of the rat placenta,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1678, no. 2-3, pp. 102–110, 2004.
- N. G. N. Milton, A. Chilumuri, E. Rocha-Ferreira, A. N. Nercessian, and M. Ashioti, “Kisspeptin prevention of amyloid-β peptide neurotoxicity in vitro,” ACS Chemical Neuroscience, 2012.