- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Addiction
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 205189, 9 pages
Parental Factors Associated with Mexican American Adolescent Alcohol Use
School of Social Work, University of Connecticut, 1798 Asylum Avenue, West Hartford, CT 06117-2698, USA
Received 15 November 2012; Revised 31 January 2013; Accepted 14 February 2013
Academic Editor: Ingmar Franken
Copyright © 2013 Cristina Mogro-Wilson. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- U.S. Census Bureau, 2010, U.S. Census Brief, http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-02.pdf.
- L. D. Johnston, P. M. O'Malley, J. G. Bachman, and J. E. Schulenberg, Monitoring the Future National Results on Adolescent Drug Use: Overview of Key Findings, 2009, National Institute on Drug Use, Bethesda, Md, USA, 2010.
- U.S. Census Bureau, 2011, American Community Survey B03001 1-Year Estimates Estimates Hispanic or Latino origin by specific Origin.
- S. A. Brown, M. McGue, J. Maggs et al., “A developmental perspective on alcohol and youths 16 to 20 years of age,” Pediatrics, vol. 121, supplement 4, pp. S290–S310, 2008.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Underage Drinking, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Rockville, Md, USA, 2006.
- Office of the Surgeon General, The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Prevent and Reduce Underage Drinking, Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC, USA, 2007.
- J. Delva, J. M. Wallace, P. M. O'Malley, J. G. Bachman, L. D. Johnston, and J. E. Schulenberg, “The epidemiology of alcohol, marijuana, and cocaine use among Mexican American, Puerto Rican, Cuban American, and other Latin American eighth-grade students in the United States: 1991–2002,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 696–702, 2005.
- R. S. Zimmerman, W. A. Vega, A. G. Gil, G. J. Warheit, E. Apospori, and F. Biafora, “Who is Hispanic? Definitions and their consequences,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 84, no. 12, pp. 1985–1987, 1994.
- L. C. Gallo, F. J. Penedo, K. E. de Los Monteros, and W. Arguelles, “Resiliency in the face of disadvantage: do hispanic cultural characteristics protect health outcomes?” Journal of Personality, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 1707–1746, 2009.
- L. D. Johnston, P. M. O’Malley, J. G. Bachman, and J. E. Schulenberg, “Monitoring the future national survey results on drug use, 1975–2005: volume 1, secondary school students,” NIH Publication 06-5883, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Bethesda, Md, USA, 2006, http://www.monitoringthefuture.org.
- L. M. Estrada-Martínez, M. B. Padilla, C. H. Caldwell, and A. J. Schulz, “Examining the influence of family environments on youth violence: a comparison of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, non-Latino Black, and non-Latino White adolescents,” Journal of Youth and Adolescence, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 1039–1051, 2011.
- A. M. G. Wahl and T. M. Eitle, “Gender, acculturation and alcohol use among latina/o adolescents: a multi-ethnic comparison,” Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 153–165, 2010.
- D. Baumrind, “Parental disciplinary patterns and social competence in children,” Youth and Society, vol. 9, pp. 239–276, 1978.
- R. A. Bulcroft, D. C. Carmody, and K. A. Bulcroft, “Patterns of parental independence giving to adolescents: variations by race, age, and gender of child,” Journal of Marriage and Family, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 866–883, 1996.
- G. Gonzalez-Ramos, L. H. Zayas, and E. V. Cohen, “Child-rearing values of low-income, urban Puerto Rican mothers of preschool children,” Professional Psychology, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 377–382, 1998.
- L. Steinberg, “We know some things: parent-adolescent relationships in retrospect and prospect,” Journal of Research on Adolescence, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 1–19, 2001.
- L. Steinberg and A. S. Morris, “Adolescent development,” Annual Review of Psychology, vol. 52, pp. 83–110, 2001.
- J. Lilja, S. Larsson, B. U. Wilhelmsen, and D. Hamilton, “Perspectives on preventing adolescent substance use and misuse,” Substance Use and Misuse, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 1491–1530, 2003.
- S. T. Ennett, K. E. Bauman, V. A. Foshee, M. Pemberton, and K. A. Hicks, “Parent-Child communication about adolescent tobacco and alcohol use: what do parents say and does it affect youth behavior?” Journal of Marriage and the Family, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 48–62, 2001.
- V. C. McLoyd, A. M. Cauce, D. Takeuchi, and L. W. Wayne, “Marital processes and parental socialization in families of color: a decade review of research,” Journal of Marriage and Family, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 1070–1093, 2000.
- A. M. Cauce and M. D. Rodríguez, “Latino families: myths and realities,” in Latino Children and Families in the United States: Current Research and Future Directions, J. Contreras, A. Neal-Barnett, and K. Kerns, Eds., pp. 3–25, Praeger, Westport, Conn, USA, 2002.
- L. H. Zayas and F. Solari, “Early childhood socialization in Hispanic families: context, culture, and practice implications,” Professional Psychology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 200–206, 1994.
- C. J. Falicov, “Mexican families,” in Ethnicity and Family Therapy, M. McGoldrick, J. Giordano, and N. Garcia-Preto, Eds., pp. 229–241, Guilford Press, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2005.
- K. M. Lindahl and N. M. Malik, “Marital conflict, family processes, and boys' externalizing behavior in Hispanic American and European American families,” Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 12–24, 1999.
- P. L. Escovar and P. J. Lazarus, “Cross-cultural child-rearing practices: implications for school psychology,” School Psychology International, vol. 3, pp. 143–148, 1982.
- R. Redfield, R. Linton, and M. J. Herskovits, “Memorandum for the study of acculturation,” American Anthropologist, vol. 38, pp. 149–152, 1936.
- J. M. Rodríguez and K. Kosloski, “The impact of acculturation on attitudinal familism in a community of Puerto Rican Americans,” Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 375–391, 1998.
- W. A. Vega, A. G. Gil, and E. Wagner, “Cultural adjustments and Hispanic adolescents,” in Drug Use and Ethnicity in Early Adolescents, W. A. Vega and A. Gil, Eds., Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1998.
- X. Ge, K. M. Best, R. D. Conger, and R. L. Simons, “Parenting behaviors and the occurrence and co-occurrence of adolescent depressive symptoms and conduct problems,” Developmental Psychology, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 717–731, 1996.
- G. Krampen, “Perceived childrearing practices and the development of locus of control in early adolescence,” International Journal of Behavioral Development, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 177–193, 1989.
- B. K. Barber, H. E. Stolz, and J. A. Olsen, Parental Support, Psychological Control and Behavioral Control: Assessing Relevance Across Time, Culture and Method, Blackwell Publishing, Boston, Mass, USA, 2005.
- K. E. Grant, B. E. Compas, A. F. Stuhlmacher, A. E. Thurm, S. D. McMahon, and J. A. Halpert, “Stressors and child and adolescent psychopathology: moving from markers to mechanisms of risk,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 129, no. 3, pp. 447–466, 2003.
- S. Voisine, M. Parsai, F. F. Marsiglia, S. Kulis, and T. Nieri, “Effects of parental monitoring, permissiveness, and injunctive norms on substance use among Mexican and Mexican American adolescents,” Families in Society, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 264–273, 2008.
- C. Mogro-Wilson, “The influence of parental warmth and control on Latino adolescent alcohol use,” Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 89–105, 2008.
- R. Coombs and J. Landsverk, “Parenting styles and substance use during childhood and adolescence,” Journal of Marriage and the Family, vol. 50, pp. 473–482, 1988.
- S. Shakib, M. Mouttapa, C. A. Johnson et al., “Ethnic variation in parenting characteristics and adolescent smoking,” The Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 88–97, 2003.
- D. J. Flannery, A. T. Vazsonyi, and D. C. Rowe, “Caucasian and hispanic early adolescent substance use: parenting, personality, and school adjustment,” Journal of Early Adolescence, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 71–89, 1996.
- K. Chantala and J. Tabor, Strategies to Perform a Design-Based. Analysis Using the Add Health Data, Carolina Population Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA, 1999.
- R. Tourangeau and H. C. Shin, National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health: Grand Sample Weight, Carolina Population Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA, 1999.
- K. M. Harris, F. Florey, J. Tabor, P. S. Bearman, J. Jones, and J. R. Udry, 2003, The National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health: Research Design, http://www.cpc.unc.edu/projects/addhealth/design.
- L. Muthen and B. Muthen, Mplus User's Guide, Muthen & Muthen, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, 1998–2001.
- K. Chantala, “Introduction to analyzing Add Health data,” in Proceedings of the Add Health Users Workshop National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Md, USA, July 2003.
- M. W. Browne and R. Cudeck, “Alternative ways of assessing model fit,” in Testing Structural Equation Models, vol. 154, pp. 136–162, Sage Focus Editions, Beverly Hills, Calif, USA, 1993.
- K. A. Bollen and J. S. Long, Eds., Testing Structural Equation Models, Sage, Newbury Park, Calif, USA, 1993.
- J. Szapocznik and W. Kurtines, “Acculturation, biculturalism, and adjustment among Cuban Americans,” in Acculturation: Theory, Models and Some New Findings, A. Padilla, Ed., pp. 134–160, Westview, Boulder, Colo, USA, 1980.
- C. R. Martinez, “Effects of differential family acculturation on Latino adolescent substance use,” Family Relations, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 306–317, 2006.
- C. Delgado-Gaitan, “Parenting in two generations of Mexican American families,” International Journal of Behavioral Development, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 409–427, 1993.
- L. D. Johnston, P. M. OMalley, J. G. Bachman, and J. E. Schulenberg, “Demographic subgroup trends for various licit and illicit drugs, 1975–2009,” Monitoring the Future Occasional Paper No. 73, Institute for Social Research, Ann Arbor, Mich, USA, 2010, http://www.monitoringthefuture.org/.
- K. K. Shelton, P. J. Frick, and J. Wooton, “Assessment of parenting practices in families of elementary school-age children,” Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, vol. 25, pp. 317–329, 1996.
- C. Perris, L. Jacobsson, and H. Lindstrom, “Development of a new inventory for assessing memories of parental rearing behaviour,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 265–274, 1980.
- M. Alegria, W. Sribney, M. Woo, M. Torres, and P. Guarnaccia, “Looking beyond nativity: the relation of age of immigration, length of residence, and birth cohorts to the risk of onset of psychiatric disorders for Latinos,” Research in Human Development, vol. 4, no. 1-2, pp. 19–47, 2007.
- T. H. Cruz, S. W. Marshall, J. M. Bowling, and A. Villaveces, “The validity of a proxy acculturation scale among U.S. Hispanics,” Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 425–446, 2008.
- E. Arcia, M. Skinner, D. Bailey, and V. Correa, “Models of acculturation and health behaviors among Latino immigrants to the US,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 41–53, 2001.
- L. O'Donnell, A. Myint-U, R. Duran, and A. Stueve, “Especially for daughters: parent education to address alcohol and sex-related risk taking among urban young adolescent girls,” Health Promotion Practice, vol. 11, supplement 3, pp. 70S–78S, 2010.
- H. Pantin, G. Prado, B. Lopez et al., “A randomized controlled trial of familias unidas for hispanic adolescents with behavior problems,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 71, no. 9, pp. 987–995, 2009.