- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Addiction
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 307845, 6 pages
Early Adolescents and Substance Use
1Epidemiological Monitoring Center on Addiction, DSM-DP, ASL Bologna, Via S. Isaia 94/A, 40100 Bologna, Italy
2Unit of Epidemiology, Department of Preventive Medicine, Fondazione IRCCS Ca' Granda-Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Via San Barnaba, 8-20122 Milan, Italy
Received 20 April 2012; Revised 26 June 2012; Accepted 14 July 2012
Academic Editor: Raymond Niaura
Copyright © 2013 Raimondo Maria Pavarin and Dario Consonni. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- EMCDDA, “Annual report on the state of the drugs problem in Europe 2010,” Lisbon, Portugal, 2010, http://www.emcdda.europa.eu.
- W. Latimer and J. Zur, “Epidemiologic trends of adolescent use of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs,” Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 451–464, 2010.
- A. W. Tu, P. A. Ratner, and J. L. Johnson, “Gender differences in the correlates of adolescents' cannabis use,” Substance Use and Misuse, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 1438–1463, 2008.
- M. Guxens, M. Nebot, and C. Ariza, “Age and sex differences in factors associated with the onset of cannabis use: a cohort study,” Drug and Alcohol Dependence, vol. 88, no. 2-3, pp. 234–243, 2007.
- M. R. Hayatbakhsh, J. M. Najman, W. Bor, M. J. O'Callaghan, and G. M. Williams, “Multiple risk factor model predicting cannabis use and use disorders: a longitudinal study,” American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 399–407, 2009.
- M. Nation and C. A. Heflinger, “Risk factors for serious alcohol and drug use: the role of psychosocial variables in predicting the frequency of substance use among adolescents,” American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 415–433, 2006.
- I. Sutherland and J. P. Shepherd, “Social dimensions of adolescent substance use,” Addiction, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 445–458, 2001.
- OEDT-Focus sulle droghe, “Misurare la prevalenza e l’incidenza del consumo di stupefacenti,” 2002, http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/attachements.cfm/att_33481_IT_Dif03it.pdf.
- H. Parker, J. Aldridge, F. Measham, and P. Haynes, Illegal Leisure: The Normalisation of Adolescent Recreational Drug Use, Routledge, London, UK, 1998.
- H. Parker, L. Williams, and J. Aldridge, “The normalization of 'sensible' recreational drug use: further evidence from the North West England longitudinal study,” Sociology, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 941–964, 2002.
- F. Measham and M. Shiner, “The legacy of 'normalisation': the role of classical and contemporary criminological theory in understanding young people's drug use,” International Journal of Drug Policy, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 502–508, 2009.
- W. M. Cox and E. Klinger, “A motivational model of alcohol use,” Journal of Abnormal Psychology, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 168–180, 1988.
- E. Kuntsche, R. Knibbe, G. Gmel, and R. Engels, “Why do young people drink? A review of drinking motives,” Clinical Psychology Review, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 841–861, 2005.
- A. van der Poel, G. Rodenburg, M. Dijkstra, M. Stoele, and D. van de Mheen, “Trends, motivations and settings of recreational cocaine use by adolescents and young adults in the Netherlands,” International Journal of Drug Policy, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 143–151, 2009.
- T. M. Brunt, M. van Laar, R. J. M. Niesink, and W. van den Brink, “The relationship of quality and price of the psychostimulants cocaine and amphetamine with health care outcomes,” Drug and Alcohol Dependence, vol. 111, no. 1-2, pp. 21–29, 2010.
- A. Boys, J. Marsden, and J. Strang, “Understanding reasons for drug use amongst young people: a functional perspective,” Health Education Research, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 457–469, 2001.
- A. Boys and J. Marsden, “Perceived functions predict intensity of use and problems in young polysubstance users,” Addiction, vol. 98, no. 7, pp. 951–963, 2003.
- A. Boys, J. Marsden, P. Griffiths, and J. Strang, “Drug use functions predict cocaine-related problems in young people,” Drug and Alcohol Review, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 181–190, 2000.
- J. Ahmadi and A. Ghanizadeh, “Motivations for use of opiates among addicts seeking treatment in shiraz,” Psychological Reports, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 1158–1164, 2000.
- C. M. Lee, C. Neighbors, and B. A. Woods, “Marijuana motives: young adults' reasons for using marijuana,” Addictive Behaviors, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 1384–1394, 2007.
- M. J. Zvolensky, A. A. Vujanovic, A. Bernstein, M. O. Bonn-Miller, E. C. Marshall, and T. M. Leyro, “Marijuana use motives: a confirmatory test and evaluation among young adult marijuana users,” Addictive Behaviors, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 3122–3130, 2007.
- B. K. Armstrong, E. White, and R. Saracci, Principles of Exposure Measurement in Epidemiology, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1992.
- M. W. Bernadt, J. Mumford, and C. Taylor, “Comparison of questionnaire and laboratory tests in the detection of excessive drinking and alcoholism,” Lancet, vol. 1, no. 8267, pp. 325–328, 1982.
- N. J. Horton, “Review of multilevel and longitudinal modeling using Stata, second edition, by Sophia Rabe-Hesketh and Anders Skrondal,” Stata Journal, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 579–582, 2008.
- StataCorp, “Stata: release 11. statistical software,” StataCorp LP, College Station, Tex, USA, 2009.
- J. Van Reek, R. Knibbe, and T. Van Iwaarden, “Policy elements as predictors of smoking and drinking behaviour: the Dutch cohort study of secondary schoolchildren,” Health Policy, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 5–18, 1993.
- C. Reddy-Jacobs, M. M. Téllez-Rojo, F. Meneses-González, J. Campuzano-Rincón, and M. Hernández-Ávila, “Poverty, youth and consumption of tobacco in Mexico,” Salud Publica de Mexico, vol. 48, no. 3, supplement 1, pp. S83–S90, 2006.
- D. Kostova, H. Ross, E. Blecher, and S. Markowitz, “Is youth smoking responsive to cigarette prices? Evidence from low- and middle-income countries,” Tobacco Control, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 419–424, 2011.
- M. S. Burrone, S. M. Bueno, M. L. de Costa Jr., J. Enders, R. A. Fernández, and G. P. Vasters, “Análisis de la frecuencia de experimentación y consumo de drogas de alumnos de escuelas de nivel medio,” Revista Latino-Americana de Enfermagem, vol. 18, pp. 648–654, 2010.
- O. Rahkonen and S. Ahlstrom, “Trends in drinking habits among Finnish youth from 1973 to 1987,” British Journal of Addiction, vol. 84, no. 9, pp. 1075–1083, 1989.
- E. M. M. Pratta and M. A. Dos Santos, “Adolescence and the consumption of psychoactive substances: the impact of the socioeconomic status,” Revista Latino-Americana de Enfermagem, vol. 15, pp. 806–811, 2007.
- M. Lemstra, N. R. Bennett, C. Neudorf et al., “A meta-analysis of marijuana and alcohol use by socio-economic status in adolescents aged 10—15 years,” Canadian Journal of Public Health, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 172–177, 2008.
- E. G. García, B. C. Blasco, R. J. López, and A. P. Pol, “Study of the factors associated with substance use in adolescence using association rules,” Adicciones, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 293–299, 2010.
- I. K. Wium-Andersen, M. K. Wium-Andersen, U. Becker, and S. F. Thomsen, “Predictors of age at onset of tobacco and cannabis use in Danish adolescents,” Clinical Respiratory Journal, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 162–167, 2010.
- N. Doran, P. E. Sanders, N. M. Bekman et al., “Mediating influences of negative affect and risk perception on the relationship between sensation seeking and adolescent cigarette smoking nicotine,” Nicotine & Tobacco Research, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 457–465, 2011.
- C. Lopez-Quintero and Y. Neumark, “Effects of risk perception of marijuana use on marijuana use and intentions to use among adolescents in Bogotá, Colombia,” Drug and Alcohol Dependence, vol. 109, no. 1-3, pp. 65–72, 2010.
- R. J. Paxton, R. F. Valois, and J. W. Drane, “Is there a relationship between family structure and substance use among public middle school students?” Journal of Child and Family Studies, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 593–605, 2007.
- V. Hemovich, A. Lac, and W. D. Crano, “Understanding early-onset drug and alcohol outcomes among youth: the role of family structure, social factors, and interpersonal perceptions of use,” Psychology, Health and Medicine, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 249–267, 2011.
- Z. Tang and R. G. Orwin, “Marijuana initiation among American youth and its risks as dynamic processes: prospective findings from a national longitudinal study,” Substance Use and Misuse, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 195–211, 2009.