- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Applied Mathematics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 142850, 27 pages
Hydrodynamics of a Free Floating Vertical Axisymmetric Oscillating Water Column Device
Laboratory for Floating Structures, Mooring Systems and Division of Marine Structures, School of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, 9 Heroon Polytechniou Avenue, GR 157-73 Athens, Greece
Received 22 January 2012; Accepted 12 September 2012
Academic Editor: Carl M. Larsen
Copyright © 2012 S. A. Mavrakos and D. N. Konispoliatis. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Clément, P. McCullen, A. Falcão et al., “Wave energy in Europe: current status and perspectives,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 405–431, 2002.
- A. F. D. O. Falcão, “Wave energy utilization: a review of the technologies,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 899–918, 2010.
- M. E. McCormick, “Analysis of a wave energy conversion buoy,” Journal of Hydronautics, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 77–82, 1974.
- M. E. McCormick, “A modified linear analysis of a wave-energy conversion buoy,” Ocean Engineering, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 133–144, 1976.
- D. V. Evans, “Wave-power absorption by systems of oscillating surface pressure distributions,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 114, pp. 481–499, 1982.
- A. J. N. A. Sarmento, L. M. C. Gato, and A. F. D. O. Falcão, “Turbine-controlled wave energy absorption by oscillating water column devices,” Ocean Engineering, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 481–497, 1990.
- D. V. Evans and R. Porter, “Efficient calculation of hydrodynamic properties of OWC-type devices,” Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, vol. 119, no. 4, pp. 210–218, 1997.
- K. Kokkinowrachos, I. Thanos, and H. G. Zibell, “Hydrodynamic analysis of some wave energy conversion systems,” in Proceedings of the OCEANS'87 Conference, pp. 566–574, Halifax, Canada, September 1987.
- Y. Masuda, “Wave-activated generator,” in Proceedings of the International Colloquium on the Exposition of the Oceans, Boudreaux, France, 1971.
- Y. Masuda, “Experimental full-scale results of wave power machine Kaimei in 1978,” in Proceedings of the 1st Symposium on Wave Energy Utilization, pp. 349–363, Gothenburgh, Sweden, 1979.
- H. Martins-Rivas and C. C. Mei, “Wave power extraction from an oscillating water column at the tip of a breakwater,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 626, pp. 395–414, 2009.
- A. F. O. Falcão, J. C. C. Henriques, and J. J. Cândido, “Dynamics and optimization of the OWC spar buoy wave energy converter,” Renewable Energy, vol. 48, pp. 369–381, 2012.
- J. Miles and F. Gilbert, “Scattering of gravity waves by a circular dock,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 783–793, 1968.
- C. J. R. Garrett, “Wave forces on a circular dock,” The Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 129–139, 1971.
- R. W. Yeung, “Added mass and damping of a vertical cylinder in finite-depth waters,” Applied Ocean Research, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 119–133, 1981.
- S. A. Mavrakos, “Wave loads on a stationary floating bottomless cylindrical body with finite wall thickness,” Applied Ocean Research, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 213–224, 1985.
- S. A. Mavrakos, “Hydrodynamic coefficients for a thick-walled bottomless cylindrical body floating in water of finite depth,” Ocean Engineering, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 213–229, 1988.
- K. Kokkinowrachos, S. Mavrakos, and S. Asorakos, “Behaviour of vertical bodies of revolution in waves,” Ocean Engineering, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 505–538, 1986.
- T. Setoguchi and M. Takao, “Current status of self rectifying air turbines for wave energy conversion,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 47, no. 15-16, pp. 2382–2396, 2006.
- R. Curran and M. Folley, “Air turbine design for OWCs,” in Ocean Wave Energy, J. Cruz, Ed., pp. 189–219, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2008.
- C. C. Mei, The Applied Dynamics of Ocean Surface Waves, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1983.
- J. Falnes, Ocean Waves and Oscillating Systems: Linear Interactions Including Wave-Energy Extraction, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- A. F. D. O. Falcão and P. A. P. Justino, “OWC wave energy devices with air flow control,” Ocean Engineering, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 1275–1295, 1999.
- S. L. Dixon, Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics of Turbomachinery, Pergamon, Oxford, UK, 3rd edition, 1978.
- A. F. D. O. Falcão, “Control of an oscillating-water-column wave power plant for maximum energy production,” Applied Ocean Research, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 73–82, 2002.
- A. J. N. A. Sarmento and A. F. D. O. Falcão, “Wave generation by an oscillating surface-pressure and its application in wave-energy extraction,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 150, pp. 467–485, 1985.
- J. N. Newman, Marine Hydrodynamics, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1977.
- J. A. Pinkster and G. van Oortmerssen, “Computation of the first and second order wave forces on oscillating bodies in regular waves,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Numerical Ship Hydrodynamics, pp. 136–159, Berkley, Mich, USA, 1977.
- S. A. Mavrakos and L. Bardis, “Hydrodynamic analysis of floating solar ponds,” in Proceedings of the Marine Computers'86, pp. 24.1–24.12, The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (SNAME), MIT, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1986, paper no. 24.