- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Applied Mathematics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 327021, 16 pages
Numerical Study of Hall Thruster Plume and Sputtering Erosion
1School of Mechanical Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200240, China
2Department of Electric Propulsion, Shanghai Institute of Space Propulsion, Shanghai 200233, China
Received 14 August 2012; Accepted 28 October 2012
Academic Editor: Yansheng Liu
Copyright © 2012 Li Yan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. M. Burgasov, G. V. Grigorian, A. A. Izmaelov, et al., “Some results of complex work concerning problems of electric rocket thruster integration with a spacecraft and its subsystems,” in Proceedings of the 2nd European Spacecraft Propulsion Conference, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, 1997.
- D. Borie, V. Perrin, S. Khartov, and A. Nadiradze, “The I.S.P. software: calculation of the SPT jet influence,” in Proceedings of the 2nd European Spacecraft Propulsion Conference, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, 1997.
- A. B. Nadiradze and S. A. Kharov, “A 3D model calculating sputtering and depositing processes under electric propulsion thruster testing in a vacuum chamber,” in Proceedings of the 29th International Electric Propulsion Conference, Princeton University, 2005.
- E. Sommier, M. K. Allis, N. Gascon, and M. A. Cappelli, “Wall erosion in 2D Hall Thruster simulations,” in Proceedings of the 42nd AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference & Exhibit, pp. 3335–3344, Sacramento, Calif, USA, July 2006.
- S. Kay, M.-S. Manuel, and B. Oleg, “Integration of a sputtering model into a full PIC hall thruster simulation,” in Proceedings of the 39th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit, Huntsville, Ala, USA, 2003.
- R. Subrata and B. P. Pandey, “Modeling the effect of plasma-wall interaction in a hall thruster,” in Proceedings of the 41st Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, Nev, USA, 2003.
- A. Bernard and M.-S. Manuel, “Computation modeling of plasma plume in a vacuum tank,” in Proceedings of the 26th International Electric Propulsion Conference, Kitakyushu, Japan, 1999.
- Q. Zhong, W. Pingyang, D. Zhaohui, and K. Xiaolu, “Study of plume characteristics of a stationary plasma thruster,” Plasma Science and Technology, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 612–618, 2008.
- Y. Yamamura and H. Tawara, “Angular dependence of sputtering yelds of monatomic solids,” Institute of Plasma Physics IPPJ-AM-26, Nagoya University, 1996.
- N. Matsunami, Y. Yamamura, Y. Itikawa et al., “Energy dependence of the ion-induced sputtering yields of monatomic solids,” Atomic Data and Nuclear Data Tables, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 1–80, 1984.
- Y. Yamamura, Y. Itikawa, and N. Itoh, “Angular dependence of sputtering yields of monatomic solids,” Institute of Plasma Physics IPPJ-AM-26, Nagoya University, 1983.
- D. Y. Oh, Computational Modeling of Expanding Plasma Plumes in Space Using a PIC-DSMC Algorithm, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1997.
- D. Y. Oh, D. E. Hastings, C. M. Marrese, J. M. Haas, and A. D. Gallimore, “Modeling of stationary plasma thruster-100 thruster plumes and implications for satellite design,” Journal of Propulsion and Power, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 345–357, 1999.
- Y. Choi, M. Keidar, and I. D. Boyd, “Particle simulation of plume flows from an anode-layer hall thruster,” Journal of Propulsion and Power, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 554–561, 2008.
- G. A. Bird, Molecular Gas Dynamics and the Direct Simulation of Gas Flows, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1994.
- K. Koura and H. Matsumoto, “Variable soft sphere molecular model for air species,” Physics of Fluids A, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 1083–1085, 1992.
- A. Dalgarno, R. C. McDowell, and A. Williams, “The mobilities of ions in unlike gases,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, vol. 250, pp. 411–425, 1958.
- S. H. Pullins, Y. Chiu, D. J. Levandier, and R. A. Dressler, “Ion dynamics in Hall effect and ion thrusters-Xe+ + Xe symmetric charge transfer,” in Proceedings of the 38th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, Nev, USA, 2000.
- J. Scott Miller, S. H. Pullins, D. J. Levandier, Y. H. Chiu, and R. A. Dressler, “Xenon charge exchange cross sections for electrostatic thruster models,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 91, no. 3, p. 984, 2002.
- M. Mitchner and C. H. Kurger, Partially Ionized Gases, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 1973.
- W. M. Ruyten, “Density-conserving shape factors for particle simulations in cylindrical and spherical coordinates,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 105, no. 2, pp. 224–232, 1993.
- P. Sigmund, “Theory of sputtering. I. Sputtering yield of amorphous and polycrystalline targets,” Physical Review Online Archive, vol. 184, pp. 383–416, 1969.
- Y. Yamamura, N. Matsunami, and N. Itoh, “Theoretical studies on an empirical formula for sputtering yield at normal incidence,” Radiation Effects Letters, vol. 71, no. 1-2, pp. 65–86, 1983.
- J. Lindhard, V. Nielson, M. Scharff, and P. V. Thomsen, “Integral equations governing radiation effects,” Kongelige Danske Videnskabernes Selskab Biologiske Skrifter, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 1–42, 1963.
- J. Lindhard and M. Scharff, “Energy dissipation by ions in the kev region,” Physical Review, vol. 124, no. 1, pp. 128–130, 1961.
- C. Shannon, Computational modeling of hall thruster plasma plume in a vacuum tank [M.S. thesis], Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston, Mass, USA, 2003.