- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Applied Mathematics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 516060, 22 pages
Fabric Tensor Characterization of Tensor-Valued Directional Data: Solution, Accuracy, and Symmetrization
State Key Laboratory of Hydroscience and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Received 21 April 2012; Revised 5 July 2012; Accepted 19 July 2012
Academic Editor: Luis Javier Herrera
Copyright © 2012 Kuang-dai Leng and Qiang Yang. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. V. Mardia, “Statistics of directional data,” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 349–393, 1975.
- P. E. Jupp and K. V. Mardia, “A unified view of the theory of directional statistics,” International Statistical Review, vol. 57, pp. 261–294, 1989.
- H. J. Bunge, “Fabric analysis by orientation distribution functions,” Tectonophysics, vol. 78, no. 1–4, pp. 1–21, 1981.
- J. H. Bunge, Texture Analysis in Materials Science: Mathematical Methods, Butterworths, London, UK, 1982.
- K. Kanatani, “Distribution of directional data and fabric tensors,” International Journal of Engineering Science, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 149–164, 1984.
- S. G. Advani and C. L. Tucker III, “The use of tensors to describe and predict fiber orientation in short fiber composites,” Journal of Rheology, vol. 31, pp. 751–784, 1987.
- Q. Yang, X. Chen, and W. Y. Zhou, “Effective stress and vector-valued orientational distribution functions,” International Journal of Damage Mechanics, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 101–121, 2008.
- Y. F. Dafalias, “Orientation distribution function in non-affine rotations,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 2493–2516, 2001.
- Y. Rathi, O. Michailovich, M. E. Shenton, and S. Bouix, “Directional functions for orientation distribution estimation,” Medical Image Analysis, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 432–444, 2009.
- S. C. Cowin, “Anisotropic poroelasticity: fabric tensor formulation,” Mechanics of Materials, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 665–677, 2004.
- J. Rahmoun, D. Kondo, and O. Millet, “A 3D fourth order fabric tensor approach of anisotropy in granular media,” Computational Materials Science, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 869–880, 2009.
- X. Li and H. S. Yu, “Tensorial characterisation of directional data in micromechanics,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 48, no. 14-15, pp. 2167–2176, 2011.
- M. Oda, “Fabric tensors for discontinuous geological materials,” Soils and Foundations, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 96–108, 1982.
- V. A. Lubarda and D. Krajcinovic, “Damage tensors and the crack density distribution,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 30, no. 20, pp. 2859–2877, 1993.
- Q. Yang, Z. Li, and L. G. Tham, “An explicit expression of second-order fabric-tensor dependent elastic compliance tensor,” Mechanics Research Communications, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 255–260, 2001.
- G. Z. Voyiadjis and P. I. Kattan, “Damage mechanics with fabric tensors,” Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 285–301, 2006.
- J. Ning and E. C. Aifantis, “Anisotropic yield and plastic flow of polycrystalline solids,” International Journal of Plasticity, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 1221–1240, 1996.
- P. D. Wu and E. Van Der Giessen, “On improved network models for rubber elasticity and their applications to orientation hardening in glassy polymers,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 427–456, 1993.
- J. H. Kinney, J. S. Stölken, T. S. Smith, J. T. Ryaby, and N. E. Lane, “An orientation distribution function for trabecular bone,” Bone, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 193–201, 2005.
- M. Parsheh, M. L. Brown, and C. K. Aidun, “Investigation of closure approximations for fiber orientation distribution in contracting turbulent flow,” Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, vol. 136, no. 1, pp. 38–49, 2006.
- K. Tabelow, H. U. Voss, and J. Polzehl, “Modeling the orientation distribution function by mixtures of angular central Gaussian distributions,” Journal of Neuroscience Methods, vol. 203, no. 1, pp. 200–211, 2012.
- Q. Yang, X. Chen, and L. G. Tham, “Relationship of crack fabric tensors of different orders,” Mechanics Research Communications, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 661–666, 2004.
- Q. Yang, X. Chen, and W. Y. Zhou, “Microplane-damage-based effective stress and invariants,” International Journal of Damage Mechanics, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 179–191, 2005.
- Z. P. Bažant and P. G. Gambarova, “Crack shear in concrete: crack band microplane model,” Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 110, no. 9, pp. 2015–2035, 1984.
- I. Carol and Z. P. Bažant, “Damage and plasticity in microplane theory,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 34, no. 29, pp. 3807–3835, 1997.
- Q.-S. Zheng and W.-N. Zou, “Irreducible decompositions of physical tensors of high orders,” Journal of Engineering Mathematics, vol. 37, no. 1–3, pp. 273–288, 2000.
- L. M. Kachanov, “Time of the Rupture Process under Creep Conditions,” Izvestiya Sibirskogo Otdeleniya,. Akademii Nauk SSSR., Seriya Tekhnicreskikh Nauk, vol. 8, pp. 26–31, 1958.
- I. N. Rabotnov, “On the equations of state for creep,” Progress in Applied Mechanics, the Prager Anniversary Volume, vol. 8, pp. 307–315, 1963.
- Q. S. Zheng and J. Betten, “On damage effective stress and equivalence hypothesis,” International Journal of Damage Mechanics, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 219–240, 1996.
- L. M. Kachanov, “Effective elastic properties of cracker solids: critical review of some basic concepts,” Applied Mechanics Review, vol. 45, no. 8, pp. 304–335, 1992.
- J. Lemaitre, R. Desmorat, and M. Sauzay, “Anisotropic damage law of evolution,” European Journal of Mechanics, A/Solids, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 187–208, 2000.
- G. Z. Voyiadjis and P. I. Kattan, “On the symmetrization of the effective stress tensor in continuum damage mechanics,” Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Materials, vol. 7, pp. 139–165, 1996.
- G. Z. Voyiadjis and T. Park, “Anisotropic damage effect tensors for the symmetrization of the effective stress tensor,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, Transactions ASME, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 106–110, 1997.
- S. Murakami, “Mechanical modeling of material damage,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, Transactions ASME, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 280–286, 1988.
- J. L. Chaboche, “Continuous damage mechanics—a tool to describe phenomena before crack initiation,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 233–247, 1981.
- D. Krajcinovic, “Continuous damage mechanics,” Applied Mechanics Review, vol. 37, pp. 1–6, 1984.