- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Applied Mathematics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 705179, 22 pages
Nonstandard Finite Difference Variational Integrators for Multisymplectic PDEs
Department of Mathematics, Harbin Institute of Technology, 2 Wenhua West Road, Shandong, Weihai 264209, China
Received 12 August 2012; Accepted 4 October 2012
Academic Editor: Renat Zhdanov
Copyright © 2012 Cuicui Liao and Xiaohua Ding. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Abraham and J. E. Marsden, Foundations of Mechanics, Benjamin/Cummings Publishing, Reading, Mass, USA, 2nd edition, 1978.
- J.-B. Chen, “Variational integrators and the finite element method,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 196, no. 2, pp. 941–958, 2008.
- J.-B. Chen, M.-Z. Qin, and R. Scherer, “Multisymplectic and variational integrators,” International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 509–536, 2008.
- P. G. Ciarlet, A. Iserles, R. V. Kohn, and M. H. Wright, Simulating Hamltonian Dynamics, Cambridge Monographs on Applied and Computational Mathematics, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2004.
- J. E. Marsden and M. West, “Discrete mechanics and variational integrators,” Acta Numerica, vol. 10, pp. 357–514, 2001.
- J. E. Marsden, G. W. Patrick, and S. Shkoller, “Multisymplectic geometry, variational integrators, and nonlinear PDEs,” Communications in Mathematical Physics, vol. 199, no. 2, pp. 351–395, 1998.
- M. Leok and J. Zhang, “Discrete Hamiltonian variational integrators,” IMA Journal of Numerical Analysis, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 1497–1532, 2011.
- K. I. Nawafleh, “Canonical quantization of higher-order Lagrangians,” Journal of Applied Mathematics, vol. 2011, Article ID 375838, 11 pages, 2011.
- S. Pekarsky and J. E. Marsden, “Abstract mechanical connection and abelian reconstruction for almost Kähler manifolds,” Journal of Applied Mathematics, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1–28, 2001.
- J. Vankerschaver, C. Liao, and M. Leok, “Generating functionals and Lagrangian PDEs,” Journal of Nonlinear Science. In press.
- R. E. Mickens, Applications of Nonstandard Finite Difference Schemes, World Scientific Publishing, Singapore, 2000.
- R. E. Mickens, “Nonstandard finite difference schemes for differential equations,” Journal of Difference Equations and Applications, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 823–847, 2002.
- R. E. Mickens, “A nonstandard finite difference scheme for the diffusionless Burgers equation with logistic reaction,” Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, vol. 62, no. 1-2, pp. 117–124, 2003.
- R. E. Mickens, “Dynamic consistency: a fundamental principle for constructing nonstandard finite difference schemes for differential equations,” Journal of Difference Equations and Applications, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 645–653, 2005.
- R. E. Mickens, “A numerical integration technique for conservative oscillators combining nonstandard finite-difference methods with a Hamilton's principle,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 285, no. 1-2, pp. 477–482, 2005.
- A. J. Arenas, G. González-Parra, and B. M. Chen-Charpentier, “A nonstandard numerical scheme of predictor-corrector type for epidemic models,” Computers & Mathematics with Applications, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 3740–3749, 2010.
- G. González-Parra, A. J. Arenas, and B. M. Chen-Charpentier, “Combination of nonstandard schemes and Richardson's extrapolation to improve the numerical solution of population models,” Mathematical and Computer Modelling, vol. 52, no. 7-8, pp. 1030–1036, 2010.
- R. J. Villanueva, A. J. Arenas, and G. Gonzlez-Parra, “A nonstandard dynamically consistent numerical scheme applied to obesity dynamics,” Journal of Applied Mathematics, vol. 2008, Article ID 640154, 14 pages, 2008.
- P. M. Jordan, “A nonstandard finite difference scheme for nonlinear heat transfer in a thin finite rod,” Journal of Difference Equations and Applications, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 1015–1021, 2003.
- A. Malek, “Applications of nonstandard finite difference methods to nonlinear heat transfer problems heat transfer-mathematical modelling,” Numerical Methods and Information Technology In press.
- Q. Ma, D. Ding, and X. Ding, “A nonstandard fnite-difference method for a linear oscillator with additive noise,” Applied Mathematics and Information Science. In press.
- P. M. Manning and G. F. Margrave, “Introduction to non-standard fnite-difference modelling,” CREWES Research Report 18, 2006.
- T. J. Bridges, “Multi-symplectic structures and wave propagation,” Mathematical Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, vol. 121, no. 1, pp. 147–190, 1997.
- T. J. Bridges and S. Reich, “Numerical methods for Hamiltonian PDEs,” Journal of Physics A, vol. 39, no. 19, pp. 5287–5320, 2006.
- T. J. Bridges and S. Reich, “Multi-symplectic integrators: numerical schemes for Hamiltonian PDEs that conserve symplecticity,” Physics Letters A, vol. 284, no. 4-5, pp. 184–193, 2001.
- J. Hong and Y. Liu, “A novel numerical approach to simulating nonlinear Schrödinger equations with varying coefficients,” Applied Mathematics Letters, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 759–765, 2003.
- J. Hong, Y. Liu, H. Munthe-Kaas, and A. Zanna, “Globally conservative properties and error estimation of a multi-symplectic scheme for Schrödinger equations with variable coefficients,” Applied Numerical Mathematics, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 814–843, 2006.
- X.-C. Li and W.-A. Yao, “Symplectic analytical solutions for the magnetoelectroelastic solids plane problem in rectangular domain,” Journal of Applied Mathematics, vol. 2011, Article ID 165160, 15 pages, 2011.
- J. Vankerschaver and M. Leok, “A variational, second-order integrator for point vortices on the sphere,” . In press.
- T. Meis and U. Marcowitz, Numerical Solution of Partial Differential Equations, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1981.
- A. M. A. El-Sayed, A. Elsaid, and D. Hammad, “A reliable treatment of homotopy perturbation method for solving the nonlinear klein-gordon equation of arbitrary (fractional) orders,” Journal of Applied Mathematics, vol. 2012, Article ID 581481, 13 pages, 2012.
- J.-B. Chen, “A multisymplectic integrator for the periodic nonlinear Schrödinger equation,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 170, no. 2, pp. 1394–1417, 2005.
- J.-B. Chen, M.-Z. Qin, and Y.-F. Tang, “Symplectic and multi-symplectic methods for the nonlinear Schrödinger equation,” Computers & Mathematics with Applications, vol. 43, no. 8-9, pp. 1095–1106, 2002.
- M. Leok and T. Shingel, “General techniques for constructing variational integrators,” Frontiers of Mathematics in China, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 273–303, 2012.
- S. Zhou and X. Cheng, “Numerical solution to coupled nonlinear Schrödinger equations on unbounded domains,” Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, vol. 80, no. 12, pp. 2362–2373, 2010.
- S. Zhou and X. Cheng, “A linearly semi-implicit compact scheme for the Burgers-Huxley equation,” International Journal of Computer Mathematics, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 795–804, 2011.