- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Applied Mathematics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 103591, 10 pages
An Improved Hybrid Genetic Algorithm with a New Local Search Procedure
1Department of Biostatistics, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298-0032, USA
2Department of Statistics, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA 24061-0439, USA
Received 9 January 2013; Accepted 26 August 2013
Academic Editor: Bin Wang
Copyright © 2013 Wen Wan and Jeffrey B. Birch. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Davis, Handbook of Genetic Algorithms, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, NY, USA, 1991.
- D. E. Goldberg and S. Voessner, “Optimizing global-local search hybrids,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference of Genetic and Evolutionary Computation (GECCO '99), pp. 220–228, 1999.
- M. Lozano, F. Herrera, N. Krasnogor, and D. Molina, “Real-coded memetic algorithms with crossover hill-climbing,” Evolutionary Computation, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 273–302, 2004.
- Z. Michalwicz, Genetic Algorithms + Data Structure = Evolution Programs, AI, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 1996.
- P. A. Moscato, “On evolution, search, optimization, genetic algorithms and martial arts: towards memetic algorithms,” Tech. Rep. 826, Caltech Concurrent Computation Program, 1989.
- P. A. Moscato, “Memetic algorithms: a short introduction,” in New Ideas in Optimization, D. Corne, M. Dorigo, and F. Glower, Eds., p. 219234, McGraw-Hill, London, UK, 1999.
- Y.-S. Ong, N. Krasnogor, and H. Ishibuchi, “Special issue on memetic algorithms,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics B, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 2–5, 2007.
- X. Chen, Y.-S. Ong, M.-H. Lim, and K. C. Tan, “A multi-facet survey on memetic computation,” IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 591–607, 2011.
- R. Dawkins, The Selfish Gene, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- D. Sudholt, “Local search in evolutionary algorithms: the impact of the local search frequency,” in Algorithms and computation, vol. 4288 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 359–368, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2006.
- N. Krasnogor and J. E. Smith, “Emergence of profitable search strategies based on a simple inheritance mechanism,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation, pp. 432–439, Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo, Calif, USA, 2001.
- M. Lozano, F. Herrera, and J. R. Cano, “Replacement strategies to maintain useful diversity insteady-state genetic algorithms,” Information Sciences, vol. 178, pp. 4421–4433, 2008.
- W. E. Hart, N. Krasnogor, and J. E. Smith, “Editorial introduction special issue on memetic algorithms,” Evolutionary Computation, vol. 12, no. 3, 2004.
- T. A. El-Mihoub, A. A. Hopgood, L. Nolle, and A. Battersby, “Hybrid genetic algorithms: a review,” Engineering Letters, vol. 13, pp. 2–11, 2006.
- G. Seront and H. Bersini, “A new GA local search hybrid for continuous optimization based on multi-level single linkage clustering,” in Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO '00), pp. 90–95, Morgan Kaufmann, Las Vegas, Nev, USA, 2000.
- M. Lozano and C. García-Martínez, “Hybrid metaheuristics with evolutionary algorithms specializing in intensification and diversification: overview and progress report,” Computers & Operations Research, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 481–497, 2010.
- K. Tang, Y. Mei, and X. Yao, “Memetic algorithm with extended neighborhood search for capacitated arc routing problems,” IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 1151–1166, 2009.
- D. Molina, M. Lozano, and F. Herrera, “Memetic algorithm with local search chaining for continuous optimization problems: a scalability test,” in Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Intelligent Systems Design and Applications (ISDA '09), pp. 1068–1073, IEEE Computer Society, December 2009.
- D. Molina, M. Lozano, and F. Herrera, “MA-SW-Chains: memetic algorithm based on local search chains for large scale continuous global optimization,” in Proceedings of the 6th IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence (WCCI '10), July 2010.
- Z. Ning, Y. S. Ong, K. W. Wong, and M. H. Lim, “Choice of memes in memetic algorithm,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Computational Intelligence, Robotics and Autonomous Systems (CIRAS '03), 2003.
- D. E. Goldberg, Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass, USA, 1989.
- M. Hamada, H. F. Martz, C. S. Reese, and A. G. Wilson, “Finding near-optimal Bayesian experimental designs via genetic algorithms,” The American Statistician, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 175–181, 2001.
- D. G. Mayer, J. A. Belward, and K. Burrage, “Robust parameter settings of evolutionary algorithms for the optimisation of agricultural systems models,” Agricultural Systems, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 199–213, 2001.
- F. Ortiz Jr., J. R. Simpson, J. J. Pignatiello Jr., and A. Heredia-Langner, “A genetic algorithm approach to multiple-response optimization,” Journal of Quality Technology, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 432–450, 2004.
- R. L. Haupt and S. E. Haupt, Practical Genetic Algorithms, Wiley-Interscience [John Wiley & Sons], Hoboken, NJ, Second edition, 2004, With 1 CD-ROM (Windows).
- J. A. Nelder and R. Mead, “A simplex method for function minimization,” Computer Journal, vol. 7, pp. 308–313, 1965.
- W. H. Press, S. A. Teukolsky, W. T. Vetterling, and B. P. Flannery, Numerical Recipes in C, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2nd edition, 1992.
- H. P. Schwefel, Evolution and Optimum Seeking, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- R. H. Myers and D. C. Montgomery, Response Surface Methodology: Process and Product Optimization Using Designed Experiments, John Wiley & Sons, 2002.