- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Applied Mathematics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 518213, 11 pages
Effective Proactive and Reactive Defense Strategies against Malicious Attacks in a Virtualized Honeynet
Department of Information Management, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Received 11 April 2013; Accepted 22 July 2013
Academic Editor: Anyi Chen
Copyright © 2013 Frank Yeong-Sung Lin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force research and development team, “IBM X-Force 2010 Mid-Year Trend and Risk Report,” IBM, August 2010.
- R. J. Ellison, D. A. Fisher, R. C. Linger, H. F. Lipson, T. Longstaff, and N. R. Mead, “Survivable network systems: an emerging discipline,” Tech. Rep. CMU/SEI-97-TR-013, 1997.
- S. Roy, C. Ellis, S. Shiva, D. Dasgupta, V. Shandilya, and Q. Wu, “A survey of game theory as applied to network security,” in Proceedings of the 43rd Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS '10), January 2010.
- M. N. Lima, A. L. D. Santos, and G. Pujolle, “A survey of survivability in mobile Ad hoc Networks,” IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 66–77, 2009.
- Z. Ma, “Towards a unified definition for reliability, survivability and resilience (I): the conceptual framework inspired by the handicap principle and ecological stability,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Aerospace Conference, pp. 1–12, March 2010.
- F. Xing and W. Wang, “On the survivability of wireless ad HOC networks with node misbehaviors and failures,” IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 284–299, 2010.
- S. Skaperdas, “Contest success functions,” Economic Theory, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 283–290, 1996.
- G. Levitin and K. Hausken, “False targets efficiency in defense strategy,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 194, no. 1, pp. 155–162, 2009.
- K. Hausken and G. Levitin, “Protection vs. false targets in series systems,” Reliability Engineering and System Safety, vol. 94, no. 5, pp. 973–981, 2009.
- G. Levitin and K. Hausken, “Preventive strike vs. false targets and protection in defense strategy,” Reliability Engineering and System Safety, vol. 96, no. 8, pp. 912–924, 2011.
- J. Hirshleifer, “Conflict and rent-seeking success functions: ratio vs. difference models of relative success,” Public Choice, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 101–112, 1989.
- J. Hirshleifer, “The paradox of power,” Economics and Politics, vol. 3, pp. 177–200, 1993.
- J. Archer, A. Boehme, D. Cullinane, P. Kurtz, N. Puhlmann, and J. Reavis, “Top Threats to Cloud Computing V 1.0,” Cloud Security Alliance, March 2010.
- H. Debar, F. Pouget, and M. Dacier, “White paper: ‘Honeypot, Honeynet, Honeytoken: Terminological issues’,” Institut Eurécom Research Report RR-03-081, 2003.
- B. Cheswick, “An evening with berferd in which a cracker is lured, endured, and studied,” in Proceedings of the USENIX Conference, pp. 163–174, USENIX, 1992.
- C. Seifert, I. Welch, and P. Komisarczuk, “Taxonomy of honeypots,” Tech. Rep. CS-TR-06/12, 2006.
- M. H. y López and C. F. L. Reséndez, “Honeypots: basic concepts, classification and educational use as resources in information security education and courses,” in Proceedings of the Informing Science and IT Education Conference, 2008.
- Y. Huang, D. Arsenault, and A. Sood, “Closing cluster attack windows through server redundancy and rotations,” in Proceedings of the 6th IEEE International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid (CCGRID '06), May 2006.
- Y. Huang, D. Arsenault, and A. Sood, “Incorruptible self-cleansing intrusion tolerance and its application to DNS security,” Journal of Networks, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 21–30, 2006.
- M. Smith, C. Schridde, and B. Freisleben, “Securing stateful grid servers through virtual server rotation,” in Proceedings of the 17th International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC '08), pp. 11–22, June 2008.
- F. Y.-S. Lin, Y.-S. Wang, and P.-H. Tsang, “Efficient defense strategies to minimize attackers' success probabilities in honeynet,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Information Assurance and Security (IAS '10), pp. 80–85, August 2010.
- F. Y.-S. Lin, Y.-S. Wang, P.-H. Tsang, and J.-P. Lo, “Redundancy and defense resource allocation algorithms to assure service continuity against natural disasters and intelligent attacks,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Broadband Wireless Computing, Communication and Applications (BWCCA '10), pp. 206–213, November 2010.
- F. Cohen, “Managing network security: attack and defence strategies,” Network Security, vol. 1999, no. 7, pp. 7–11, 1999.
- S. Nagaraja and R. Anderson, “Dynamic topologies for robust scale-free networks,” Bio-Inspired Computing and Communication, vol. 5151, pp. 411–426, 2008.