- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Applied Mathematics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 848163, 4 pages
A Note on Four-Dimensional Symmetry Algebras and Fourth-Order Ordinary Differential Equations
1Centre for Differential Equations, Continuum Mechanics and Applications, School of Computational and Applied Mathematics, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg 2050, South Africa
2Department of Mathematics, COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Abbottabad 22060, Pakistan
Received 12 November 2012; Accepted 24 December 2012
Academic Editor: Mehmet Pakdemirli
Copyright © 2013 A. Fatima et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Lie, “Classification und Integration von gewöhnlichen Differentialgleichungen zwischen x, y, die eine Gruppe von Transformationen gestatten,” Mathematische Annalen, vol. 8, no. 9, p. 187, 1888.
- P. J. Olver, Applications of Lie Groups to Differential Equations, vol. 107, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1993.
- A. H. Kara, F. M. Mahomed, and P. G. L. Leach, “Noether equivalence problem for particle Lagrangians,” Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, vol. 188, no. 3, pp. 867–884, 1994.
- F. M. Mahomed and P. G. L. Leach, “Normal forms for third-order equations,” in Proceedings of the Workshop on Finite Dimensional Integrable Nonlinear Dynamical Systems, P. G. L. Leach and W. H. Steeb, Eds., p. 178, World Scientic, Johannesburg, South Africa, 1988.
- N. H. Ibragimov and M. C. Nucci, “Integration of third order ordinary differential equations by lies method: equations admitting three-dimensional lie algebras,” Lie Groups and Their Applications, vol. 1, p. 4964, 1994.
- T. Cerquetelli, N. Ciccoli, and M. C. Nucci, “Four dimensional Lie symmetry algebras and fourth order ordinary differential equations,” Journal of Nonlinear Mathematical Physics, vol. 9, supplement 2, pp. 24–35, 2002.
- J. Patera and P. Winternitz, “Subalgebras of real three- and four-dimensional Lie algebras,” Journal of Mathematical Physics, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 1449–1455, 1977.
- F. M. Mahomed and P. G. L. Leach, “Lie algebras associated with scalar second-order ordinary differential equations,” Journal of Mathematical Physics, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 2770–2777, 1989.
- R. O. Popovych, V. M. Boyko, M. O. Nesterenko, and M. W. Lutfullin, “Realizations of real low-dimensional Lie algebras,” Journal of Physics A, vol. 36, no. 26, pp. 7337–7360, 2003.
- G. Bluman and S. Kumei, “On invariance properties of the wave equation,” Journal of Mathematical Physics, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 307–318, 1987.
- S. P. Timoshenko, Theory of Elastic Stability, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1961.
- A. H. Bokhari, F. M. Mahomed, and F. D. Zaman, “Symmetries and integrability of a fourth-order Euler-Bernoulli beam equation,” Journal of Mathematical Physics, vol. 51, no. 5, Article ID 053517, 2010.
- F. I. Leite, P. D. Lea, and T. Mariano, “Symmetry and integrability of a fourth-order Emden-Fowler equation,” Technical Report CMCC-UFABC1-13, 2012.