- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 270540, 7 pages
Bandgap Engineering in ZnO By Doping with 3d Transition Metal Ions
1Materials Science Centre, Department of Nuclear Physics, University of Madras, Guindy Campus, Chennai 600025, India
2Center for Condensed Matter Sciences, National Taiwan University, Taipei 10617, Taiwan
Received 6 November 2010; Accepted 21 February 2011
Academic Editor: Robert Moshammer
Copyright © 2011 D. Paul Joseph and C. Venkateswaran. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Ohtomo, K. Tamura, M. Kawasaki et al., “Room-temperature stimulated emission of excitons in ZnO/(Mg,Zn)O superlattices,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 77, no. 14, pp. 2204–2206, 2000.
- Y. Z. Yoo, T. Fukumura, Z. Jin et al., “ZnO-CoO solid solution thin films,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 90, no. 8, pp. 4246–4250, 2001.
- H. Ohno, “Making nonmagnetic semiconductors ferromagnetic,” Science, vol. 281, no. 5379, pp. 951–956, 1998.
- K. Sato and H. Katayama-Yoshida, “Material design for transparent ferromagnets with ZnO-based magnetic semiconductors,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 39, no. 6B, pp. L555–L558, 2000.
- H. Katayama-Yoshida and K. Sato, “Materials design for semiconductor spintronics by ab initio electronic-structure calculation,” Physica B, vol. 327, no. 2-4, pp. 337–343, 2003.
- S. A. Wolf, D. D. Awschalom, R. A. Buhrman et al., “Spintronics: a spin-based electronics vision for the future,” Science, vol. 294, no. 5546, pp. 1488–1495, 2001.
- T. Dietl, “Ferromagnetic semiconductors,” Semiconductor Science and Technology, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 377–392, 2002.
- M. Toyoda, H. Akai, K. Sato, and H. Katayama-Yoshida, “Electronic structures of (Zn, TM)O (TM: V, Cr, Mn, Fe, Co, and Ni) in the self-interaction-corrected calculations,” Physica B, vol. 376-377, no. 1, pp. 647–650, 2006.
- T. Fukushima, K. Sato, H. Katayama-Yoshida, and P. H. Dederichs, “Spinodal decomposition under layer by layer growth condition and high curie temperature quasi-one-dimensional nano-structure in dilute magnetic semiconductors,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 45, no. 12–16, pp. L416–L418, 2006.
- H. Katayama-Yoshida, K. Sato, T. Fukushima et al., “Theory of ferromagnetic semiconductors,” Physica Status Solidi A, vol. 204, no. 1, pp. 15–32, 2007.
- K. Sato, T. Fukushima, and H. Katayama-Yoshida, “Super-paramagnetic blocking phenomena and room-temperature ferromagnetism in wide band-gap dilute magnetic semiconductor (Ga, Mn)N,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 46, no. 25–28, pp. L682–L684, 2007.
- S. J. Pearton, C. R. Abernathy, G. T. Thaler et al., “Wide bandgap GaN-based semiconductors for spintronics,” Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. R209–R245, 2004.
- K. Ando, H. Saito, Z. Jin et al., “Magneto-optical properties of ZnO-based diluted magnetic semiconductors,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 89, no. 11, pp. 7284–7286, 2001.
- W. Prellier, A. Fouchet, and B. Mercey, “Oxide-diluted magnetic semiconductors: a review of the experimental status,” Journal of Physics Condensed Matter, vol. 15, no. 37, pp. R1583–R1601, 2003.
- S. J. Pearton, D. P. Norton, K. Ip, Y. W. Heo, and T. Steiner, “Recent progress in processing and properties of ZnO,” Progress in Materials Science, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 293–340, 2005.
- L. Lutterotti, “Materials Analysis Using Diffraction (MAUD) version: 2.072,” 2008, http://www.ing.unitn.it/~maud/.
- D. P. Joseph, Analysis of 3d transition elements doped ZnO, CuO and Cu-Zn-Se diluted magnetic semiconductors, Ph.D. thesis, University of Madras, Chennai, India, May 2009.
- D. P. Joseph, G. S. Kumar, and C. Venkateswaran, “Structural, magnetic and optical studies of Zn0.95Mn0.05O DMS,” Materials Letters, vol. 59, no. 21, pp. 2720–2724, 2005.
- D. P. Joseph, S. Ayyappan, and C. Venkateswaran, “Comparative studies on Zn0.95Ni0.05O DMS synthesized by co-precipitation and ceramic methods,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 415, no. 1-2, pp. 225–228, 2006.
- D. P. Joseph, S. Naveenkumar, N. Sivakumar, and C. Venkateswaran, “Synthesis of Zn0.95Cr0.05O DMS by co-precipitation and ceramic methods: structural and magnetization studies,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 188–192, 2006.
- P. D. Fochs, “The measurement of the energy gap of semiconductors from their diffuse reflection spectra,” Proceedings of the Physical Society. Section B, vol. 69, no. 1, p. 70, 1955.
- T. Nguyena and A. R. Hind, “The measurement of absorption edge and band gap properties of novel nanocomposite materials,” Varian Cary 500 Spectrophotometer manual No. 081, http://www.chem.agilent.com/Library/applications/uv81.pdf.
- F. A. Cotton and G. Wilkinson, Advanced Inorganic Chemistry, chapter 3, Wiley Eastern Private, Singapore, 5th edition, 1988.
- A. Tiwari, C. Jin, A. Kvit, D. Kumar, J. F. Muth, and J. Narayan, “Structural, optical and magnetic properties of diluted magnetic semiconducting Zn1-xMnxO films,” Solid State Communications, vol. 121, no. 6-7, pp. 371–374, 2002.
- A. Wójcik, K. Kopalko, M. Godlewski et al., “Monocrystalline and polycrystalline ZnO and ZnMnO films grown by atomic layer epitaxy—growth and characterization,” Acta Physica Polonica A, vol. 105, no. 6, pp. 667–673, 2004.
- M. H. Kane, K. Shalini, C. J. Summers et al., “Magnetic properties of bulk Zn1-xMnxO and Zn1-xCoxO single crystals,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 97, no. 2, Article ID 023906, 2005.
- K. J. Kim and Y. R. Park, “Optical investigation of Zn1-xFexO films grown on Al2O3(0001) by radio-frequency sputtering,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 96, no. 8, pp. 4150–4153, 2004.
- S. Ramachandran, A. Tiwari, and J. Narayan, “Zn0.9Co0.1O-based diluted magnetic semiconducting thin films,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 84, no. 25, pp. 5255–5257, 2004.
- J. H. Kim, H. Kim, D. Kim, S. G. Yoon, and W. K. Choo, “Optical and magnetic properties of laser-deposited Co-doped ZnO thin films,” Solid State Communications, vol. 131, no. 11, pp. 677–680, 2004.
- B. E. Sernelius, K. F. Berggren, Z. C. Jin, I. Hamberg, and C. G. Granqvist, “Band-gap tailoring of ZnO by means of heavy Al doping,” Physical Review B, vol. 37, no. 17, pp. 10244–10248, 1988.