- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 469043, 9 pages
The Advantages of Not Entangling Macroscopic Diamonds at Room Temperature
1Center for Optical Coherence Tomography and Modern Physics, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Brigham and Women's Hospital, 75 Francis Street, MRB-114, Boston, MA 02115, USA
2Center for Optical Coherence Tomography and Modern Physics, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School, 25 Shattuck Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
3Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Room 36-360, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Received 6 August 2012; Revised 2 December 2012; Accepted 12 December 2012
Academic Editor: Alan Migdall
Copyright © 2012 Mark E. Brezinski. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. C. Lee, M. R. Sprague, B. J. Sussman, et al., “Entangling macroscopic diamonds at room temperature,” Science, vol. 334, no. 6060, pp. 1253–1256, 2011.
- L. M. Duan, “Quantum correlation between distant diamonds,” Science, vol. 334, no. 6060, pp. 1213–1214, 2011.
- M. E. Brezinski and B. Liu, “Nonlocal quantum macroscopic superposition in a high-thermal low-purity state,” Physical Review A, vol. 78, no. 6, Article ID 063824, 13 pages, 2008.
- B. Julsgaard, A. Kozhekin, and E. S. Polzik, “Experimental long-lived entanglement of two macroscopic objects,” Nature, vol. 413, no. 6854, pp. 400–403, 2001.
- L. M. Duan, M. D. Lukin, J. I. Cirac, and P. Zoller, “Long-distance quantum communication with atomic ensembles and linear optics,” Nature, vol. 414, no. 6862, pp. 413–418, 2001.
- D. N. Matsukevich and A. Kuzmich, “Quantum state transfer between matter and light,” Science, vol. 306, no. 5696, pp. 663–666, 2004.
- K. S. Choi, H. Deng, J. Laurat, and H. J. Kimble, “Mapping photonic entanglement into and out of a quantum memory,” Nature, vol. 452, no. 7183, pp. 67–71, 2008.
- C. W. Chou, H. De Riedmatten, D. Felinto, S. V. Polyakov, S. J. Van Enk, and H. J. Kimble, “Measurement-induced entanglement for excitation stored in remote atomic ensembles,” Nature, vol. 438, no. 7069, pp. 828–832, 2005.
- T. Chanelière, D. N. Matsukevich, S. D. Jenkins, S. Y. Lan, T. A. B. Kennedy, and A. Kuzmich, “Storage and retrieval of single photons transmitted between remote quantum memories,” Nature, vol. 438, no. 7069, pp. 833–836, 2005.
- M. Brune, E. Hagley, J. Dreyer et al., “Observing the progressive decoherence of the “meter” in a quantum measurement,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 77, no. 24, pp. 4887–4890, 1996.
- M. Brune, S. Haroche, J. M. Raimond, L. Davidovich, and N. Zagury, “Manipulation of photons in a cavity by dispersive atom-field coupling: quantum-nondemolition measurements and generation of Schrödinger cat states,” Physical Review A, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 5193–5214, 1992.
- T. Meunier, S. Gleyzes, P. Maioli et al., “Rabi oscillations revival induced by time reversal: a test of mesoscopic quantum coherence,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 94, no. 1, Article ID 010401, 4 pages, 2005.
- Y. Shin, An Introduction to Quantum Optics: Photon and Biphoton Physics, CRC Press, New York, NY, USA, 2011.
- L. Mandel, “Coherence and indistinguishability,” Optics Letters, vol. 16, no. 23, pp. 1882–1883, 1991.
- M. Schlosshuaser, Decoherence and the Quantum to Classical Transition, Springer, Melbourne, Australia, 2007.
- W. H. Zurek, “Decoherence and the transition from quantum to classical,” Physics Today, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 36–44, 1991.
- M. A. Neilson and I. L. Chuang, Quantum Computer and Quantum Information, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2007.
- L. Mandel, “Quantum effects in one-photon and two-photon interference,” Reviews of Modern Physics, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. S274–S282, 1999.
- H. Chen, T. Peng, S. Karmakar, Z. Xie, and Y. Shih, “Observations of anti-correlations in incoherent thermal light fields,” Physical Review A, vol. 84, Article ID 033835, 2011.
- A. Einstein, B. Podolsky, and N. Rosen, “Can quantum-mechanical description of physical reality be considered complete?” Physical Review, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 777–780, 1935.
- D. Greenberger, M. Horne, A. Shimony, and A. Zeilinger, “Bell's theorem without inequalities,” American Journal of Physics, vol. 58, p. 1131, 1990.
- E. Schrödinger, “Die gegenwärtige situation in der quantenmechanik,” Naturwissenschaften, vol. 23, no. 807, pp. 823–844, 1935.
- G. Jarger, Entanglement, Information, and the Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2009.
- K. Blum, Density Matrix Theory and Applications, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1996.
- C. K. Hong, Z. Y. Ou, and L. Mandel, “Measurement of subpicosecond time intervals between two photons by interference,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 59, pp. 2044–2046, 1987.
- J. von Neumann, Mathematical Foundations of Quantum Mechanics, chapter 4, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA, 1955.
- R. J. Glauber, “The quantum theory of optical coherence,” Physical Review, vol. 130, no. 6, pp. 2529–2539, 1963.
- P. A. M. Dirac, “The question theory of the emission and absorption of radiation,” Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A, vol. 114, no. 767, pp. 243–265, 1927.
- R. Hildebrand, “Concurrence revisted,” Journal of Mathematical Physics, vol. 48, no. 10, Article ID 102108, 23 pages, 2007.
- V. Vedral, “Quantifying entanglement in macroscopic systems,” Nature, vol. 453, no. 7198, pp. 1004–1007, 2008.
- P. G. Kwiat, K. Mattle, H. Weinfurter, A. Zeilinger, A. V. Sergienko, and Y. Shih, “New high-intensity source of polarization-entangled photon pairs,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 75, no. 24, pp. 4337–4341, 1995.
- Y. Shih, “Entangled Photons,” IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1455–1467, 2003.