- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Atomic and Molecular Physics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 791353, 7 pages
Improving Anaerobic Digestion of Wheat Straw by Plasma-Assisted Pretreatment
1Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Technical University of Denmark, 2800 Lyngby, Denmark
2Department of Geochemistry, Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland (GEUS), Øster Voldgade, 1327 Copenhagen K, Denmark
3Department of Physics, Technical University of Denmark, 2800 Lyngby, Denmark
4Masdar Institute, P.O. Box 54224, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Received 12 February 2013; Accepted 27 March 2013
Academic Editor: Jayr de Amorim Filho
Copyright © 2013 Stefan Heiske et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. B. Ress, P. P. Calvert, C. A. Pettigrew, and M. A. Barlaz, “Testing anaerobic biodegradability of polymers in a laboratory-scale simulated landfill,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 821–827, 1998.
- S. I. Mussatto, M. Fernandes, A. M. F. Milagres, and I. C. Roberto, “Effect of hemicellulose and lignin on enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose from brewer's spent grain,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 124–129, 2008.
- P. Alvira, E. Tomás-Pejó, M. Ballesteros, and M. J. Negro, “Pretreatment technologies for an efficient bioethanol production process based on enzymatic hydrolysis: a review,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 13, pp. 4851–4861, 2010.
- F. Talebnia, D. Karakashev, and I. Angelidaki, “Production of bioethanol from wheat straw: an overview on pretreatment, hydrolysis and fermentation,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 13, pp. 4744–4753, 2010.
- H. Hartmann, I. Angelidaki, and B. K. Ahring, “Increase of anaerobic degradation of particulate organic matter in full- scale biogas plants by mechanical maceration,” Water Science and Technology, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 145–153, 2000.
- I. Angelidaki and B. K. Ahring, “Methods for increasing the biogas potential from the recalcitrant organic matter contained in manure,” Water Science and Technology, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 189–194, 2000.
- Z. Mladenovska, H. Hartmann, T. Kvist, M. Sales-Cruz, R. Gani, and B. K. Ahring, “Thermal pretreatment of the solid fraction of manure: impact on the biogas reactor performance and microbial community,” Water Science and Technology, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 59–67, 2006.
- M. Hjorth, K. Gränitz, A. P. S. Adamsen, and H. B. Møller, “Extrusion as a pretreatment to increase biogas production,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, pp. 4989–4994, 2011.
- G. Lissens, A. B. Thomsen, L. De Baere, W. Verstraete, and B. K. Ahring, “Thermal wet oxidation improves anaerobic biodegradability of raw and digested biowaste,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 3418–3424, 2004.
- P. F. Vidal and J. Molinier, “Ozonolysis of lignin—improvement of in vitro digestibility of poplar sawdust,” Biomass, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 1–17, 1988.
- K. Kratzl, P. Claus, and G. Reichel, “Reactions of lignin and lignin model compounds with ozone,” Tappi, vol. 59, no. 11, pp. 86–87, 1976.
- N. Schultz-Jensen, Z. Kádár, A. B. Thomsen, H. Bindslev, and F. Leipold, “Plasma-assisted pretreatment of wheat straw for ethanol production,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 165, pp. 1010–1023, 2011.
- N. Schultz-Jensen, F. Leipold, H. Bindslev, and A. B. Thomsen, “Plasma-assisted pretreatment of wheat straw,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 163, no. 4, pp. 558–572, 2011.
- F. Leipold, A. Fateev, Y. Kusano, B. Stenum, and H. Bindslev, “Reduction of NO in the exhaust gas by reaction with N radicals,” Fuel, vol. 85, no. 10-11, pp. 1383–1388, 2006.
- F. Leipold, N. Schultz-Jensen, Y. Kusano, H. Bindslev, and T. Jacobsen, “Decontamination of objects in a sealed container by means of atmospheric pressure plasmas,” Food Control, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 1296–1301, 2011.
- M. Laroussi and F. Leipold, “Evaluation of the roles of reactive species, heat, and UV radiation in the inactivation of bacterial cells by air plasmas at atmospheric pressure,” International Journal of Mass Spectrometry, vol. 233, no. 1–3, pp. 81–86, 2004.
- B. M. Penetrante, J. N. Bardsley, and M. C. Hsiao, “Kinetic analysis of non-thermal plasmas used for pollution control,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 5007–5017, 1997.
- F. Leipold, Y. Kusano, F. Hansen, and T. Jacobsen, “Decontamination of a rotating cutting tool during operation by means of atmospheric pressure plasmas,” Food Control, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 1194–1198, 2010.
- A. E. Greenberg, L. S. Clesceri, and A. D. Eaton, Standard Methods For the Examination of Water and Wastewater, American Public Health Association, 18th edition, 1992.
- I. Angelidaki, L. Ellegaard, and B. K. Ahring, “Compact automated displacement gas metering system for measurement of low gas rates from laboratory fermentors,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 351–353, 1992.
- E. Varga, A. S. Schmidt, K. Réczey, and A. B. Thomsen, “Pretreatment of corn stover using wet oxidation to enhance enzymatic digestibility,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology A, vol. 104, no. 1, pp. 37–50, 2003.
- F. B. Castro, P. M. Hotten, E. R. Orskov, and M. Rebeller, “Inhibition of rumen microbes by compounds formed in the steam treatment of wheat straw,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 25–30, 1994.
- W. S. Borneman, D. E. Akin, and W. P. VanEseltine, “Effect of phenolic monomers on ruminal bacteria,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 1331–1339, 1986.
- E. Ximenes, Y. Kim, N. Mosier, B. Dien, and M. Ladisch, “Deactivation of cellulases by phenols,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 54–60, 2011.
- J. E. Hernandez and R. G. J. Edyvean, “Inhibition of biogas production and biodegradability by substituted phenolic compounds in anaerobic sludge,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 20–28, 2008.
- M. Torry-Smith, P. Sommer, and B. K. Ahring, “Purification of bioethanol effluent in an UASB reactor system with simultaneous biogas formation,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 7–12, 2003.
- E. Bruni, A. P. Jensen, and I. Angelidaki, “Steam treatment of digested biofibers for increasing biogas production,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 19, pp. 7668–7671, 2010.
- A. G. Hashimoto, “Effect of inoculum/substrate ratio on methane yield and production rate from straw,” Biological Wastes, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 247–255, 1989.
- K. Boe, D. J. Batstone, J. P. Steyer, and I. Angelidaki, “State indicators for monitoring the anaerobic digestion process,” Water Research, vol. 44, no. 20, pp. 5973–5980, 2010.
- H. B. Nielsen, H. Uellendahl, and B. K. Ahring, “Regulation and optimization of the biogas process: propionate as a key parameter,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 31, no. 11-12, pp. 820–830, 2007.
- J. E. Holladay, J. F. White, J. J. Bozell, and D. Johnson, “Top value-added chemicals from biomass; volume II-results of screening for potential candidates from biorefinery lignin,” Tech. Rep. PNNL-16983, 2007.