- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 156061, 10 pages
Dental Health Behaviors, Dentition, and Mortality in the Elderly: The Leisure World Cohort Study
1Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
2Department of Neurology, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
3Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology Section, UCLA School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
4Public Health and Community Dentistry Divison, UCLA School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Received 12 March 2011; Accepted 8 April 2011
Academic Editor: Bo A. Hagberg
Copyright © 2011 Annlia Paganini-Hill et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. Appollonio, C. Carabellese, A. Frattola, and M. Trabucchi, “Influence of dental status on dietary intake and survival in community-dwelling elderly subjects,” Age and Ageing, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 445–455, 1997.
- Y. Shimazaki, I. Soh, T. Saito et al., “Influence of dentition status on physical disability, mental impairment, and mortality in institutionalized elderly people,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 340–345, 2001.
- P. Hämäläinen, J. H. Meurman, M. Keskinen, and E. Heikkinen, “Relationship between dental health and 10-year mortality in a cohort of community-dwelling elderly people,” European Journal of Oral Sciences, vol. 111, no. 4, pp. 291–296, 2003.
- C. Cabrera, M. Hakeberg, M. Ahlqwist et al., “Can the relation between tooth loss and chronic disease be explained by socio-economic status? A 24-year follow-up from the Population Study of Women in Gothenburg, Sweden,” European Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 229–236, 2005.
- N. Nakanishi, H. Fukuda, T. Takatorige, and K. Tatara, “Relationship between self-assessed masticatory disability and 9-year mortality in a cohort of community-residing elderly people,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 54–58, 2005.
- C. C. Abnet, Y.-L. Qiao, S. M. Dawsey, Z.-W. Dong, P. R. Taylor, and S. D. Mark, “Tooth loss is associated with increased risk of total death and death from upper gastrointestinal cancer, heart disease, and stroke in a Chinese population-based cohort,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 467–474, 2005.
- P. Hämäläinen, J. H. Meurman, M. Kauppinen, and M. Keskinen, “Oral infections as predictors of mortality,” Gerodontology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 151–157, 2005.
- M. Yoshida, H. Morikawa, M. Yoshikawa, K. Tsuga, and Y. Akagawa, “Eight-year mortality associated with dental occlusion and denture use in community-dwelling elderly persons,” Gerodontology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 234–237, 2005.
- I. Morita, H. Nakagaki, K. Kato et al., “Relationship between survival rates and numbers of natural teeth in an elderly Japanese population,” Gerodontology, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 214–218, 2006.
- T. Österberg, G. E. Carlsson, V. Sundh, and B. Steen, “Number of teeth—a predictor of mortality in the elderly? A population study in three Nordic localities,” Acta Odontologica Scandinavica, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 335–340, 2007.
- T. Österberg, G. E. Carlsson, V. Sundh, and D. Mellström, “Number of teeth—a predictor of mortality in 70-year-old subjects,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 258–268, 2008.
- J. H. Meurman and P. Hämäläinen, “Oral health and morbidity—implications of oral infections on the elderly,” Gerodontology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 3–16, 2006.
- S. Ajwani, K. J. Mattila, R. S. Tilvis, and A. Ainamo, “Periodontal disease and mortality in an aged population,” Special Care in Dentistry, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 125–130, 2003.
- D. Jackson and J. Murray, “The loss of teeth in dentate populations,” The Dental Practitioner and Dental Record, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 186–189, 1972.
- J. D. Manson, “The elderly dental cripple,” Proceedings of the Royal Society of Medicine, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 597–598, 1973.
- A. Paganini-Hill and G. Hsu, “Smoking and mortality among residents of a California retirement community,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 992–995, 1994.
- A. Paganini-Hill, C. H. Kawas, and M. M. Corrada, “Type of alcohol consumed, changes in intake over time and mortality: The Leisure World Cohort Study,” Age and Ageing, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 203–209, 2007.
- A. Paganini-Hill, C. H. Kawas, and M. M. Corrada, “Non-alcoholic beverage and caffeine consumption and mortality: The Leisure World Cohort Study,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 305–310, 2007.
- A. Paganini-Hill, C. H. Kawas, and M. M. Corrada, “Activities and mortality in the elderly: The Leisure World Cohort Study,” Journals of Gerontology Series A, vol. 66A, no. 5, pp. 559–567, 2011.
- M. M. Corrada, C. H. Kawas, F. Mozaffar, and A. Paganini-Hill, “Association of body mass index and weight change with all-cause mortality in the elderly,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 163, no. 10, pp. 938–949, 2006.
- A. Sheiham, J. G. Steele, W. Marcenes, S. Finch, and A. W. G. Walls, “The relationship between oral health status and Body Mass Index among older people: a national survey of older people in Great Britain,” British Dental Journal, vol. 192, no. 12, pp. 703–706, 2002.
- N. Shah, H. Parkash, and K. R. Sunderam, “Edentulousness, denture wear and denture needs of Indian elderly—a community-based study,” Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 467–476, 2004.
- T. Yanagisawa, M. Ueno, K. Shinada, S. Ohara, F. A. C. Wright, and Y. Kawaguchi, “Relationship of smoking and smoking cessation with oral health status in Japanese men,” Journal of Periodontal Research, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 277–283, 2010.
- T. Dietrich, N. N. Maserejian, K. J. Joshipura, E. A. Krall, and R. I. Garcia, “Tobacco use and incidence of tooth loss among US male health professionals,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 373–377, 2007.
- L. B. Copeland, E. A. Krall, L. J. Brown, R. I. Garcia, and C. F. Streckfus, “Predictors of tooth loss in two US adult populations,” Journal of Public Health Dentistry, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 31–37, 2004.
- P. Norlén, I. Johansson, and D. Birkhed, “Impact of medical and life-style factors on number of teeth in 68-year-old men in southern Sweden,” Acta Odontologica Scandinavica, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 66–74, 1996.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, “Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults: the evidence report,” 1998, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute,Bethesda, Md, USA, http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/ob_gdlns.pdf.
- D. R. Cox, “Regression models and life tables (with discussion),” Journals of the Royal Statistical Society B, vol. 34, pp. 187–220, 1972.
- A. Paganini-Hill and R. K. Ross, “Reliability of recall of drug usage and other health-related information,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 114–122, 1982.
- A. Paganini-Hill and A. Chao, “Accuracy of recall of hip fracture, heart attack, and cancer: a comparison of postal survey data and medical records,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 138, no. 2, pp. 101–106, 1993.
- A. Paganini-Hill, R. K. Ross, and B. E. Henderson, “Prevalence of chronic disease and health practices in a retirement community,” Journal of Chronic Diseases, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 699–707, 1986.
- T. Bogg and B. W. Roberts, “Conscientiousness and health-related behaviors: a meta-analysis of the leading behavioural contributtors to mortality,” Pyscologial Bulletin, vol. 130, pp. 887–919, 2004.
- M. L. Kern and H. S. Friedman, “Do conscientious individuals live longer? A quantitative review,” Health Psychology, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 505–512, 2008.
- A. Choo, D. M. Delac, and L. B. Messer, “Oral hygiene measures and promotion: review and considerations,” Australian Dental Journal, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 166–173, 2001.