- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 395357, 9 pages
Fall Prevention Knowledge, Attitude, and Practices of Community Stakeholders and Older Adults
1Health Promotion Research Center, Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
2Senior Fall Prevention Program, Washington State Department of Health, Olympia, WA 98504, USA
3Nursing and Healthcare Leadership Program, University of Washington, Tacoma, WA 98402, USA
4Division of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, Department of Medicine and Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
Received 8 April 2011; Revised 23 June 2011; Accepted 28 June 2011
Academic Editor: Heather Keller
Copyright © 2011 Sharon S. Laing et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. E. Tinetti, M. Speechley, and S. F. Ginter, “Risk factors for falls among elderly persons living in the community,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 319, no. 26, pp. 1701–1707, 1988.
- J. L. O'Loughlin, Y. Robitaille, J. F. Boivin, and S. Suissa, “Incidence of and risk factors for falls and injurious falls among the community-dwelling elderly,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 137, no. 3, pp. 342–354, 1993.
- J. A. Stevens, “Falls among older adults—risk factors and prevention strategies,” Journal of Safety Research, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 409–411, 2005.
- F. Englander, T. J. Hodson, and R. A. Terregrossa, “Economic dimensions of slip and fall injuries,” Journal of Forensic Sciences, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 733–746, 1996.
- J. A. Stevens, P. S. Corso, E. A. Finkelstein, and T. R. Miller, “The costs of fatal and non-fatal falls among older adults,” Injury Prevention, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 290–295, 2006.
- Health People 2020: Older Adults—Healthy People, http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topicsobjectives2020/overview.aspx?topicid=41.
- L. D. Gillespie, M. C. Robertson, W. J. Gillespie et al., “Interventions for preventing falls in older people living in the community,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 2, Article ID CD007146, 2009.
- I. D. Cameron, G. R. Murray, L. D. Gillespie et al., “Interventions for preventing falls in older people in nursing care facilities and hospitals,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 1, Article ID CD005465, 2010.
- Guideline for the prevention of falls in older persons, “American Geriatrics Society, British Geriatrics Society, and American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Panel on Fall Prevention,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 664–672, 2001.
- J. T. Chang, S. C. Morton, L. Z. Rubenstein et al., “Interventions for the prevention of falls in older adults: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials,” British Medical Journal, vol. 328, no. 7441, pp. 680–683, 2004.
- Washington State Department of Health Injury Prevention Program, “Falls among older adults: strategies for prevention,” 2002, http://www.doh.wa.gov/hsqa/emstrauma/injury/pubs/FallsAmongOlderAdults.pdf.
- L. Clemson, R. G. Cumming, H. Kendig, M. Swann, R. Heard, and K. Taylor, “The effectiveness of a community-based program for reducing the incidence of falls in the elderly: a randomized trial,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 1487–1494, 2004.
- A. Shumway-Cook, I. F. Silver, M. LeMier, S. York, P. Cummings, and T. D. Koepsell, “Effectiveness of a community-based multifactorial intervention on falls and fall risk factors in community-living older adults: a randomized, controlled trial,” Journals of Gerontology Series A, vol. 62, no. 12, pp. 1420–1427, 2007.
- “Summary of the updated American Geriatrics Society/British Geriatrics Society clinical practice guideline for prevention of falls in older persons,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 148–157, 2011.
- B. L. Braun, “Knowledge and perception of fall-related risk factors and fall- reduction techniques among community-dwelling elderly individuals,” Physical Therapy, vol. 78, no. 12, pp. 1262–1276, 1998.
- J. A. Stevens, R. K. Noonan, and L. Z. Rubenstein, “Older adult fall prevention: perceptions, beliefs, and behaviors,” American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 16–20, 2010.
- F. Bunn, A. Dickinson, E. Barnett-Page, E. Mcinnes, and K. Horton, “A systematic review of older people's perceptions of facilitators and barriers to participation in falls-prevention interventions,” Ageing and Society, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 449–472, 2008.
- M. E. Tinetti, G. J. McAvay, T. R. Fried et al., “Health outcome priorities among competing cardiovascular, fall injury, and medication-related symptom outcomes,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 1409–1416, 2008.
- R. Boyd and J. A. Stevens, “Falls and fear of falling: burden, beliefs and behaviours,” Age and Ageing, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 423–428, 2009.
- K. Hughes, E. Van Beurden, E. G. Eakin et al., “Older persons' perception of risk of falling: implications for fall-prevention campaigns,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 351–357, 2008.
- M. E. Tinetti, C. Gordon, E. Sogolow, P. Lapin, and E. H. Bradley, “Fall-risk evaluation and management: challenges in adopting geriatric care practices,” Gerontologist, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 717–725, 2006.
- M. E. Tinetti, D. I. Baker, M. King et al., “Effect of dissemination of evidence in reducing injuries from falls,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 359, no. 3, pp. 252–261, 2008.
- L. Yardley, F. L. Bishop, N. Beyer et al., “Older people's views of falls-prevention interventions in six European countries,” Gerontologist, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 650–660, 2006.