- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 682470, 8 pages
How Does the Canadian General Public Rate Moderate Alzheimer's Disease?
1Programs for Assessment of Technology in Health (PATH) Research Institute, St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton, 25 Main Street West, Suite 2000, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8P 1H1
2Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8S 4L8
3McMaster Evidence-Based Practice Centre, McMaster University, DTC Building, 3rd Floor, 50 Main Street East, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8N 1E9
4Centre for Evaluation of Medicines, St. Joseph's Hospital, Martha Wing H321, 50 Charlton Avenue East, Hamilton, Canada L8N 4A6
Received 12 May 2011; Accepted 11 October 2011
Academic Editor: Barbara Shukitt-Hale
Copyright © 2011 Jean-Eric Tarride et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Heron, D. L. Hoyert, S. L. Murphy, J. Xu, K. D. Kochanek, and B. Tejada-Vera, “Deaths: final data for 2006,” National Vital Statistics Reports, vol. 57, no. 14, pp. 1–134, 2009.
- Alzheimer's Association, Early Onset Dementia: A National Challenge, a Future Crisis, Alzheimer's Association, Washington, DC, USA, 2006.
- Alzheimer's Association, “2009 Alzheimer's disease facts and figures,” Alzheimers Dement, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 234–270, 2009.
- Alzheimer's Association, Saving Lives. Saving Money: Dividends for Americans Investing in Alzheimer Research. Report of the Lewin Group to the Alzheimer's Association, Alzheimer's Association, Washington, DC, USA, 2004.
- B. S. Bloom, N. de Pouvourville, and W. L. Straus, “Cost of illness of Alzheimer's disease: how useful are current estimates?” Gerontologist, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 158–164, 2003.
- J. Lopez-Bastida, P. Serrano-Aguilar, L. Perestelo-Perez, and J. Oliva-Moreno, “Social-economic costs and quality of life of Alzheimer disease in the Canary Islands, Spain,” Neurology, vol. 67, no. 12, pp. 2186–2191, 2006.
- Y. Zhao, T. C. Kuo, S. Weir, M. S. Kramer, and A. S. Ash, “Healthcare costs and utilization for medicare beneficiaries with Alzheimer's,” BMC Health Services Research, vol. 8, p. 108, 2008.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence: Technology Appraisals TA19. 2001. [http://guidance.nice.org.uk/TA19].
- Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care: e-Formulary. Ontario drug benefit formulary/comparative drug index: electronic version. Toronto: Queen's Printer for Ontario; 2007. [https://www.healthinfo.moh.gov.on.ca/formulary/index.jsp].
- P. Raina, P. Santaguida, A. Ismaila et al., “Effectiveness of cholinesterase inhibitors and memantine for treating dementia: evidence review for a clinical practice guideline,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 148, no. 5, pp. 379–397, 2008.
- G. H. Suh, A. Wimo, S. Gauthier et al., “International price comparisons of Alzheimer's drugs: a way to close the affordability gap,” International Psychogeriatrics, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 1116–1126, 2009.
- T. Y. Tarn, “Pharmacoeconomic guidelines around the world,” ISPOR Connections, vol. 10, pp. 5–12, 2004.
- R. G. Logsdon, L. E. Gibbons, S. M. McCurry, and L. Teri, “Assessing quality of life in older adults with cognitive impairment,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 510–519, 2002.
- S. C. Smith, D. L. Lamping, S. Banerjee et al., “Development of a new measure of health-related quality of life for people with dementia: DEMQOL,” Psychological Medicine, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 737–746, 2007.
- A. J. Revell, G. I. Caskie, S. L. Willis, and K. W. Schaie, “Factor structure and invariance of the quality of life in alzheimer's disease (QoL-AD) scale,” Experimental Aging Research, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 250–267, 2009.
- A. Williams, “EuroQol—a new facility for the measurement of health-related quality of life,” Health Policy, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 199–208, 1990.
- G. W. Torrance, W. Furlong, D. Feeny, and M. Boyle, “Multi-attribute preference functions. Health utilities index,” PharmacoEconomics, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 503–520, 1995.
- J. Ankri, B. Beaufils, J. L. Novella et al., “Use of the EQ-5D among patients suffering from dementia,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 1055–1063, 2003.
- W. Coucill, S. Bryan, P. Bentham, A. Buckley, and A. Laight, “EQ-5D in patients with dementia: an investigation of inter-rater agreement,” Medical Care, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 760–771, 2001.
- L. Jönsson, N. Andreasen, L. Kilander et al., “Patient- and proxy-reported utility in Alzheimer disease using the EuroQoL,” Alzheimer Disease and Associated Disorders, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 49–55, 2006.
- J. H. Karlawish, A. Zbrozek, B. Kinosian, A. Gregory, A. Ferguson, and H. A. Glick, “Preference-based quality of life in patients with Alzheimer's disease,” Alzheimer's and Dementia, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 193–202, 2008.
- G. Naglie, G. Tomlinson, C. Tansey et al., “Utility-based quality of life measures in Alzheimer's disease,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 631–643, 2006.
- L. Thorgrimsen, A. Selwood, A. Spector et al., “Whose quality of life is it anyway? the validity and reliability of the quality of life-Alzheimer's disease (QoL-AD) scale,” Alzheimer Disease and Associated Disorders, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 201–208, 2003.
- J. H. Karlawish, A. Zbrozek, B. Kinosian et al., “Caregivers' assessments of preference-based quality of life in Alzheimer's disease,” Alzheimer's and Dementia, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 203–211, 2008.
- H. A. Kiyak, L. Teri, and S. Borson, “Physical and functional health assessment in normal aging and in Alzheimer's disease: self-reports vs family reports,” Gerontologist, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 324–330, 1994.
- R. E. Ready, B. R. Ott, and J. Grace, “Patient versus informant perspectives of quality of life in mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease,” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 256–265, 2004.
- L. P. Sands, P. Ferreira, A. L. Stewart, M. Brod, and K. Yaffe, “What explains differences between dementia patients' and their caregivers' ratings of patients' quality of life?” American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 272–280, 2004.
- A. Vogel, E. L. Mortensen, S. G. Hasselbalch, B. B. Andersen, and G. Waldemar, “Patient versus informant reported quality of life in the earliest phases of Alzheimer's disease,” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 1132–1138, 2006.
- M. F. Folstein, S. E. Folstein, and P. R. McHugh, “'Mini mental state'. A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 189–198, 1975.
- M. Oremus, J. E. Tarride, N. Clayton, and P. Raina, “Support for a tax increase to provide unrestricted access to an Alzheimer's disease medication: a survey of the general public in Canada,” BMC Health Services Research, vol. 9, p. 246, 2009.
- S. Dorofeev and P. Grant, Statistics for Real-Life Sample Surveys: Non-Simple-Random Samples and Weighted Data, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- Statistics Canada, “2006 Census,” Tech. Rep. 97-563-XCB2006019, Statistics Canada, Ottawa, Canada, 2008.
- L. Dieckmann, S. H. Zarit, J. M. Zarit, and M. Gatz, “The Alzheimer's disease knowledge test,” The Gerontologist, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 402–407, 1988.
- L. X. Badia, S. N. Lara, and G. M. Roset, “[Quality of life, time commitment and burden perceived by the principal informal caregiver of Alzheimer's patients],” Atencion Primaria, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 170–177, 2004.
- B. Leung, N. Luo, L. So, and H. Quan, “Comparing three measures of health status (perceived health with Likert-type scale, EQ-5D, and number of chronic conditions) in Chinese and white Canadians,” Medical Care, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 610–617, 2007.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality: Calculating the U.,S. population-based EQ-5D index score. Rockville, MD.: 2005. http://www.ahrq.gov/rice/EQ5Dscore.htm.
- WISE & Healthy Aging, Alzheimer's Disease. Signs, Symptoms, and Stages of Alzheimer's Disease, WISE & Healthy Aging, Santa Monica, Calif, USA, 2009.
- E. Pullenayegum, J. E. Tarride, F. Xie, R. Goeree, H. C. Gerstein, and D. O'Reilly, “Analysis of health utility data when some subjects attain the upper bound of 1: are tobit and clad models appropriate?” Value in Health, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 487–494, 2010.
- B. D. Carpenter, S. Balsis, P. G. Otilingam, P. K. Hanson, and M. Gatz, “The Alzheimer's disease knowledge scale: development and psychometric properties,” Gerontologist, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 236–247, 2009.