- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 721390, 6 pages
Shorter Leukocyte Telomere Length in Midlife Women with Poor Sleep Quality
1Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Health and Society Scholars Program, Center for Health and Community, University of California San Francisco, 3333 California Street, Suite 465, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
2Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
3Department of Biochemistry, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
4Department of Psychology, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
5Department of Nutrition, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
Received 22 July 2011; Accepted 19 August 2011
Academic Editor: J. Woo
Copyright © 2011 Aric A. Prather et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [24 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Eli Puterman, and Elissa Epel, “An Intricate Dance: Life Experience, Multisystem Resiliency, and Rate of Telomere Decline Throughout the Lifespan,” Social and Personality Psychology Compass, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 807–825, 2012.
- Marta Jackowska, Mark Hamer, Livia A. Carvalho, Jorge D. Erusalimsky, Lee Butcher, and Andrew Steptoe, “Short Sleep Duration Is Associated with Shorter Telomere Length in Healthy Men: Findings from the Whitehall II Cohort Study,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 10, 2012.
- Elizabeth A. Hoge, Maxine M. Chen, Esther Orr, Christina A. Metcalf, Laura E. Fischer, Mark H. Pollack, Immaculata DeVivo, and Naomi M. Simon, “Loving-Kindness Meditation practice associated with longer telomeres in women,” Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, vol. 32, pp. 159–163, 2013.
- Nivedita Basu, Halcyon G. Skinner, Kristin Litzelman, Russell Vanderboom, and Esha Baichoo, “Telomeres and telomere dynamics: relevance to cancers of the GI tract,” Expert Review of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 733–748, 2013.
- Beth E. Cohen, Thomas C. Neylan, Kristine Yaffe, Kristin W. Samuelson, Yongmei Li, and Deborah E. Barnes, “Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Cognitive Function: Findings From the Mind Your Heart Study,” Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 74, no. 11, pp. 1063–1070, 2013.
- Margo R. Genderson, Brinda K. Rana, Matthew S. Panizzon, Michael D. Grant, Rosemary Toomey, Kristen C. Jacobson, Hong Xian, Alice Cronin-Golomb, Carol E. Franz, William S. Kremen, and Michael J. Lyons, “Genetic and environmental influences on sleep quality in middle-aged men: a twin study,” Journal of Sleep Research, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 519–526, 2013.
- Maximilian Moser, and Daniel F. Kripke, “Insomnia: More trials needed to assess sleeping pills,” Nature, vol. 493, no. 7432, pp. 305–305, 2013.
- Lawrence H. Price, Hung-Teh Kao, Darcy E. Burgers, Linda L. Carpenter, and Audrey R. Tyrka, “Telomeres and Early-Life Stress: An Overview,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 15–23, 2013.
- Eli Puterman, Beth E. Cohen, Jue Lin, Elissa S. Epel, James J. Gross, Elizabeth H. Blackburn, and Mary A. Whooley, “Multisystem resiliency moderates the major depression-Telomere length association: Findings from the Heart and Soul Study,” Brain Behavior And Immunity, vol. 33, pp. 65–73, 2013.
- Hermann Brenner, and Aida Karina Zaineddin, “A systematic review of leukocyte telomere length and age in adults,” Ageing Research Reviews, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 509–519, 2013.
- Nancy Swords Jenny, Teresa Seeman, Kaori Fujishiro, Ana V. Diez-Roux, and Paul A. Landsbergis, “Current employment status, occupational category, occupational hazard exposure and job stress in relation to telomere length: the Multiethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA),” Occupational And Environmental Medicine, vol. 70, no. 8, pp. 552–560, 2013.
- Eleanor L. McGlinchey, Anda Gershon, Polina Eidelman, Katherine A. Kaplan, and Allison G. Harvey, “Physical activity and sleep: Day-to-day associations among individuals with and without Bipolar Disorder,” Mental Health and Physical Activity, 2014.
- Lei Zhang, Xian-Zhang Hu, Xiaoxia Li, He Li, Stanley Smerin, Dale Russell, and Robert J. Ursano, “Telomere length – A cellular aging marker for depression and Post-traumatic Stress Disorder,” Medical Hypotheses, 2014.
- Katri Savolainen, Johan G. Eriksson, Eero Kajantie, Marius Lahti, and Katri Raikkonen, “The history of sleep apnea is associated with shorter leukocyte telomere length: the Helsinki Birth Cohort Study,” Sleep Medicine, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 209–212, 2014.
- Aric A. Prather, Blake Gurfein, Patricia Moran, Jennifer Daubenmier, Michael Acree, Peter Bacchetti, Elizabeth Sinclair, Jue Lin, Elizabeth Blackburn, Frederick M. Hecht, and Elissa S. Epel, “Tired Telomeres: poor global sleep quality, perceived stress, and telomere length in immune cell subsets in obese men and women,” Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 2014.
- Debra E. Lyon, Angela R. Starkweather, Alison Montpetit, Victoria Menzies, and Nancy Jallo, “A Biobehavioral Perspective on Telomere Length and the Exposome,” Biological Research for Nursing, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 448–455, 2014.
- Sheila N. Garland, Christina Palmer, Michelle Donelson, Philip Gehrman, F. Brad Johnson, and Jun J. Mao, “A Nested Case-Controlled Comparison of Telomere Length and Psychological Functioning in Breast Cancer Survivors with and without Insomnia Symptoms,” Rejuvenation Research, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 453–457, 2014.
- Angela R. Starkweather, Areej A. Alhaeeri, Alison Montpetit, Jenni Brumelle, Kristin Filler, Marty Montpetit, Lathika Mohanraj, Debra E. Lyon, and Colleen K. Jackson-Cook, “An Integrative Review of Factors Associated with Telomere Length and Implications for Biobehavioral Research,” Nursing Research, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 36–50, 2014.
- Matthew R. Cribbet, McKenzie Carlisle, Richard M. Cawthon, Bert N. Uchino, Paula G. Williams, Timothy W. Smith, Heather E. Gunn, and Kathleen C. Light, “Cellular Aging and Restorative Processes: Subjective Sleep Quality and Duration Moderate the Association between Age and Telomere Length in a Sample of Middle-Aged and Older Adults,” Sleep, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 65–70, 2014.
- Kathryn A. Lee, Caryl Gay, Janice Humphreys, Carmen J. Portillo, Clive R. Pullinger, and Bradley E. Aouizerat, “Telomere Length is Associated with Sleep Duration But Not Sleep Quality in Adults with Human Immunodeficiency Virus,” Sleep, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 157–166, 2014.
- Hamisu M. Salihu, Lindsey King, Priyanshi Patel, Arnut Paothong, Anupam Pradhan, Judette Louis, Eknath Naik, Phillip J. Marty, and Valerie Whiteman, “Association between Maternal Symptoms of Sleep Disordered Breathing and Fetal Telomere Length,” Sleep, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 559–566, 2015.
- E. Puterman, J. Lin, J. Krauss, E. H. Blackburn, and E. S. Epel, “Determinants of telomere attrition over 1 year in healthy older women: stress and health behaviors matter,” Molecular Psychiatry, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 529–535, 2015.
- Priscila F. Tempaku, Diego R. Mazzotti, and Sergio Tufik, “Telomere length as a marker of sleep loss and sleep disturbances: a potential link between sleep and cellular senescence,” Sleep Medicine, 2015.
- Amy M. Kwon, Inkyung Baik, Robert J. Thomas, and Chol Shin, “The association between leukocyte telomere lengths and sleep instability based on cardiopulmonary coupling analysis,” Sleep and Breathing, 2015.