- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 759170, 24 pages
Personality and Longevity: Knowns, Unknowns, and Implications for Public Health and Personalized Medicine
1Laboratory of Personality and Development and Rochester Health Decision Making Group, Department of Psychiatry, University of Rochester Medical Center, 300 Crittenden, Rochester, NY 14607, USA
2Personality Interest Group, Department of Psychology, University of Illinoi, Rochester, NY 14607, USA
Received 31 March 2011; Accepted 19 May 2011
Academic Editor: Bo A. Hagberg
Copyright © 2011 Benjamin P. Chapman et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [52 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Haldis O. Lier, Eva Biringer, Oddbjorn Hove, Bjarte Stubhaug, and Tone Tangen, “Quality of life among patients undergoing bariatric surgery: associations with mental health - A 1 year follow-up study of bariatric surgery patients,” Health And Quality Of Life Outcomes, vol. 9, 2011.
- Gareth Hagger-Johnson, Severine Sabia, Hermann Nabi, Eric Brunner, Mika Kivimaki, Martin Shipley, and Archana Singh Manoux, “Low conscientiousness and risk of all-cause, cardiovascular and cancer mortality over 17 years: Whitehall II cohort study,” Journal Of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 98–103, 2012.
- Nicholas R. Eaton, Robert F. Krueger, Susan C. South, Tara L. Gruenewald, Teresa E. Seeman, and Brent W. Roberts, “Genes, Environments, Personality, and Successful Aging: Toward a Comprehensive Developmental Model in Later Life,” Journals Of Gerontology Series A-Biological Sciences And Medical Sciences, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 480–488, 2012.
- Ilan Dar-Nimrod, Benjamin P. Chapman, Peter Franks, John Robbins, Anton Porsteinsson, Mark Mapstone, and Paul R. Duberstein, “Personality Factors Moderate the Associations Between Apolipoprotein Genotype and Cognitive Function as Well as Late Onset Alzheimer Disease,” American Journal Of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 1026–1035, 2012.
- Henneke Versteeg, Viola Spek, Susanne S. Pedersen, and Johan Denollet, “Type D personality and health status in cardiovascular disease populations: a meta-analysis of prospective studies,” European Journal Of Preventive Cardiology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1373–1380, 2012.
- Ilan Dar-Nimrod, Benjamin P. Chapman, John A. Robbins, Anton Porsteinsson, Mark Mapstone, and Paul R. Duberstein, “Gene by neuroticism interaction and cognitive function among older adults,” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 1147–1154, 2012.
- Randi E. Foraker, Susan E. Olivo-Marston, and Norrina B. Allen, “Lifestyle and Primordial Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: Challenges and Opportunities,” Current Cardiovascular Risk Reports, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 520–527, 2012.
- Peter J. Veazie, Benjamin P. Chapman, Willard G. Manning, and Paul R. Duberstein, “Is Personality Associated with Health Care Use by Older Adults?,” Milbank Quarterly, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 491–527, 2013.
- Lee-Fay Low, Fleur Harrison, and Steven M. Lackersteen, “Does Personality Affect Risk for Dementia? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis,” American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 713–728, 2013.
- Antonio Terracciano, Diego Iacono, Richard J. O'Brien, Juan C. Troncoso, Yang An, Angelina R. Sutin, Luigi Ferrucci, Alan B. Zonderman, and Susan M. Resnick, “Personality and resilience to Alzheimer's disease neuropathology: a prospective autopsy study,” Neurobiology Of Aging, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 1045–1050, 2013.
- Galit Armon, Samuel Melamed, Arie Shirom, Shlomo Berliner, and Itzhak Shapira, “The associations of the Five Factor Model of personality with inflammatory biomarkers: A four-year prospective study,” Personality And Individual Differences, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 750–755, 2013.
- M. Franz, H. J. Salize, C. Lujic, E. Koch, B. Gallhofer, and C. O. Jacke, “Illness perceptions and personality traits of patients with mental disorders: the impact of ethnicity,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 129, no. 2, pp. 143–155, 2013.
- Ralph H.B. Benedict, Carolyn E. Schwartz, Paul Duberstein, Brian Healy, Marietta Hoogs, Niels Bergsland, Michael G. Dwyer, Bianca Weinstock-Guttman, and Robert Zivadinov, “Influence of personality on the relationship between gray matter volume and neuropsychiatric symptoms in multiple sclerosis,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 253–261, 2013.
- Alexander Weiss, Marieke C. Gartner, Kenneth C. Gold, and Tara S. Stoinski, “Extraversion predicts longer survival in gorillas: an 18-year longitudinal study,” Proceedings Of The Royal Society B-Biological Sciences, vol. 280, no. 1752, 2013.
- Nicholas A. Turiano, Daniel K. Mroczek, Jan Moynihan, and Benjamin P. Chapman, “Big 5 personality traits and interleukin-6: Evidence for "healthy Neuroticism" in a US population sample,” Brain Behavior And Immunity, vol. 28, pp. 83–89, 2013.
- Gonnie Klabbers, Hans Bosma, Gertrudis Ignatius Johannes Maria Kempen, Michaela Benzeval, Marjan Van den Akker, and Jacques Theodorus Margaretha van Eijk, “Do psychosocial profiles predict self-rated health, morbidity and mortality in late middle-aged and older people?,” Journal of Behavioral Medicine, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 357–368, 2013.
- Johan Denollet, Susanne S. Pedersen, Christiaan J. Vrints, and Viviane M. Conraads, “Predictive Value of Social Inhibition and Negative Affectivity for Cardiovascular Events and Mortality in Patients With Coronary Artery Disease: The Type D Personality Construct,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 75, no. 9, pp. 873–881, 2013.
- Yosuke Kasai, Etsuji Suzuki, Toshihide Iwase, Hiroyuki Doi, and Soshi Takao, “Type D Personality Is Associated with Psychological Distress and Poor Self-Rated Health among the Elderly: A Population-Based Study in Japan,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 10, 2013.
- Galit Armon, “Personality and Serum Lipids: Does Lifestyle Account for Their Concurrent and Long-term Relationships,” European Journal of Personality, 2013.
- Frank J. Infurna, Nilam Ram, and Denis Gerstorf, “Level and Change in Perceived Control Predict 19-Year Mortality: Findings From the Americans' Changing Lives Study,” Developmental Psychology, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 1833–1847, 2013.
- Kevin Fiscella, Ichiro Kawachi, Paul Duberstein, and Peter Muennig, “Emotion suppression and mortality risk over a 12-year follow-up,” Journal of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 381–385, 2013.
- Antonio Terracciano, Jennifer A. Schrack, Angelina R. Sutin, Wayne Chan, Eleanor M. Simonsick, and Luigi Ferrucci, “Personality, Metabolic Rate and Aerobic Capacity,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 1, 2013.
- Anna-Maija K. Tiainen, Mia-Maria Perala, Satu Mannisto, Katri Raikkonen, Eero Kajantie, Johan G. Eriksson, Marius Lahti, Paul A. Blomstedt, and Jari Lahti, “Personality and Dietary Intake - Findings in the Helsinki Birth Cohort Study,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 7, 2013.
- Benjamin P. Chapman, “Invited Commentary: Personality Phenotype and Mortality-New Avenues in Genetic, Social, and Clinical Epidemiology,” American Journal Of Epidemiology, vol. 178, no. 5, pp. 676–678, 2013.
- Teresa A. Hillier, Lewis R. Goldberg, Joan P. Dubanoski, Sarah E. Hampson, and Grant W. Edmonds, “Childhood Conscientiousness Relates to Objectively Measured Adult Physical Health Four Decades Later,” Health Psychology, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 925–928, 2013.
- Grant W. Edmonds, Joshua J. Jackson, Brent W. Roberts, and Yusuke Takahashi, “Longitudinal Correlated Changes in Conscientiousness, Preventative Health-Related Behaviors, and Self-Perceived Physical Health,” Journal Of Personality, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 417–427, 2013.
- Galit Armon, and Sharon Toker, “The Role of Personality in Predicting Repeat Participation in Periodic Health Screening,” Journal Of Personality, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 452–464, 2013.
- Brice Canada, Yannick Stephan, Alban Jaconelli, and Benjamin P. Chapman, “Personality and Physical Functioning Among Older Adults: The Moderating Role of Education,” Journals Of Gerontology Series B-Psychological Sciences And Social Sciences, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 553–557, 2013.
- Catharine R. Gale, Ian J. Deary, Alexander Weiss, and G. David Batty, “A questionnaire-wide association study of personality and mortality: The Vietnam Experience Study,” Journal Of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 523–529, 2013.
- Philip I. Chow, and Brent W. Roberts, “Examining the relationship between changes in personality and changes in depression,” Journal of Research in Personality, vol. 51, pp. 38–46, 2014.
- Michael Hoerger, Benjamin P. Chapman, Holly G. Prigerson, Angela Fagerlin, Supriya G. Mohile, Ronald M. Epstein, Jeffrey M. Lyness, and Paul R. Duberstein, “Personality Change Pre- to Post-Loss in Spousal Caregivers of Patients With Terminal Lung Cancer,” Social Psychological and Personality Science, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 722–729, 2014.
- Tommi Tolmunen, Soili M. Lehto, Juhani Julkunen, Jukka Hintikka, and Jussi Kauhanen, “Trait anxiety and somatic concerns associate with increased mortality risk: a 23-year follow-up in aging men,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 463–468, 2014.
- Sara J. Weston, and Joshua J. Jackson, “Identification of the healthy neurotic: Personality traits predict smoking after disease onset,” Journal of Research in Personality, 2014.
- Benjamin P. Chapman, Sarah Hampson, and John Clarkin, “Personality-Informed Interventions for Healthy Aging: Conclusions From a National Institute on Aging Work Group,” Developmental Psychology, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1426–1441, 2014.
- Malin Andre, Eva Billstedt, Calle Bengtsson, Tore Hallstrom, Lauren Lissner, Ingmar Skoog, Valter Sundh, Margda Waern, and Cecilia Bjorkelund, “Personality in women and associations with mortality: a 40-year follow-up in the Population Study of Women in Gothenburg,” Bmc Womens Health, vol. 14, 2014.
- Salomon Israel, Terrie E. Moffitt, Daniel W. Belsky, Robert J. Hancox, Richie Poulton, Brent Roberts, W. Murray Thomson, and Avshalom Caspi, “Translating Personality Psychology to Help Personalize Preventive Medicine for Young Adult Patients,” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 484–498, 2014.
- Sarah A. Schaefer, and H. Dieter Steklis, “Personality and subjective well-being in captive male western lowland gorillas living in bachelor groups,” American Journal of Primatology, 2014.
- Angelina R. Sutin, Yang An, Richard J. O'Brien, Luigi Ferrucci, Alan B. Zonderman, and Susan M. Resnick, “Personality and risk of Alzheimer's disease: New data and meta-analysis,” Alzheimers & Dementia, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 179–186, 2014.
- Galit Armon, “Type D personality and job burnout: The moderating role of physical activity,” Personality and Individual Differences, vol. 58, pp. 112–115, 2014.
- Kavita Vedhara, Sana Gill, Lameese Eldesouky, Bruce K. Campbell, Jesusa M.G. Arevalo, Jeffrey Ma, and Steven W. Cole, “Personality and gene expression: Do individual differences exist in the leukocyte transcriptome?,” Psychoneuroendocrinology, 2014.
- Antonio Terracciano, Angelo Scuteri, James Strait, Angelina R. Sutin, Osorio Meirelles, Michele Marongiu, Marco Orru, Maria Grazia Pilia, Luigi Ferrucci, Francesco Cucca, David Schlessinger, and Edward Lakatta, “Are personality traits associated with white-coat and masked hypertension?,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1987–1992, 2014.
- Isabelle Rouch, Jean-Michel Dorey, Nawele Boublay, Marie-Anne Henaff, Florence Dibie-Racoupeau, Zaza Makaroff, Sandrine Harston, Michel Benoit, Marie-Odile Barrellon, Denis Federico, Bernard Laurent, Catherine Padovan, and Pierre Krolak-Salmon, “Personality, Alzheimer's disease and behavioural and cognitive symptoms of dementia: the PACO prospective cohort study protocol,” Bmc Geriatrics, vol. 14, 2014.
- S. Super, W. M. M. Verschuren, E. M. Zantinge, M. A. E. Wagemakers, and H. S. J. Picavet, “A weak sense of coherence is associated with a higher mortality risk,” Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 411–417, 2014.
- Fleur Harrison, and Alan E. Craddock, “How attempts to meet others’ unrealistic expectations affect health: health-promoting behaviours as a mediator between perfectionism and physical health,” Psychology, Health & Medicine, pp. 1–15, 2015.
- Frank J. Infurna, and Axel Mayer, “The Effects of Constraints and Mastery on Mental and Physical Health: Conceptual and Methodological Considerations,” Psychology And Aging, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 432–448, 2015.
- Cristina G. Dumitrache, Gill Windle, and Ramona Rubio Herrera, “Do Social Resources Explain the Relationship Between Optimism and Life Satisfaction in Community-Dwelling Older People? Testing a Multiple Mediation M,” Journal Of Happiness Studies, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 633–654, 2015.
- Nicholas J. Kelley, and Brandon J. Schmeichel, “Mortality salience increases personal optimism among individuals higher in trait self-control,” Motivation and Emotion, 2015.
- Sara J. Weston, Patrick L. Hill, and Joshua J. Jackson, “Personality Traits Predict the Onset of Disease,” Social Psychological And Personality Science, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 309–317, 2015.
- Joshua J. Jackson, James J. Connolly, S. Mason Garrison, Madeleine M. Leveille, and Seamus L. Connolly, “Your Friends Know How Long You Will Live: A 75-Year Study of Peer-Rated Personality Traits,” Psychological Science, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 335–340, 2015.
- Benjamin P. Chapman, Alexander Weiss, Kevin Fiscella, Peter Muennig, Ichiro Kawachi, and Paul Duberstein, “Mortality Risk Prediction Can Comorbidity Indices Be Improved With Psychosocial Data?,” Medical Care, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 909–915, 2015.
- Nicholas A. Turiano, Benjamin P. Chapman, Tara L. Gruenewald, and Daniel K. Mroczek, “Personality and the Leading Behavioral Contributors of Mortality,” Health Psychology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 51–60, 2015.
- Sara J. Weston, and Joshua J. Jackson, “How do people respond to health news? The role of personality traits,” Psychology & Health, pp. 1–18, 2016.