- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 805062, 10 pages
Alcohol Consumption and Risk of All-Cause and Cardiovascular Disease Mortality in Men
1Department of Exercise Science, Arnold School of Public Health, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, USA
2Prevention Research Center, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, USA
3Cancer Prevention and Control Program and Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Arnold School of Public Health, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, USA
Received 26 January 2011; Accepted 9 May 2011
Academic Editor: Leonard W. Poon
Copyright © 2011 Erin K. Howie et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Arriola, P. Martinez-Camblor, N. Larrañaga et al., “Alcohol intake and the risk of coronary heart disease in the Spanish EPIC cohort study,” Heart, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 124–130, 2010.
- J. W. J. Beulens, A. Algra, S. S. Soedamah-Muthu, F. L. J. Visseren, D. E. Grobbee, and Y. van der Graaf, “Alcohol consumption and risk of recurrent cardiovascular events and mortality in patients with clinically manifest vascular disease and diabetes mellitus: the Second Manifestations of ARTerial (SMART) disease study,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 212, no. 1, pp. 281–286, 2010.
- J. M. Gaziano, T. A. Gaziano, R. J. Glynn et al., “Light-to-moderate alcohol consumption and mortality in the physicians' health study enrollment cohort,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 96–105, 2000.
- L. R. Harriss, D. R. English, J. L. Hopper et al., “Alcohol consumption and cardiovascular mortality accounting for possible misclassification of intake: 11-year follow-up of the Melbourne Collaborative Cohort Study,” Addiction, vol. 102, no. 10, pp. 1574–1585, 2007.
- A. L. Klatsky and N. Udaltsova, “Alcohol drinking and total mortality risk,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. S63–S67, 2007.
- A. Sadakane, T. Gotoh, S. Ishikawa, Y. Nakamura, and K. Kayaba, “Amount and frequency of alcohol consumption and all-cause mortality in a Japanese population: the JMS cohort study,” Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 107–115, 2009.
- I. Suh, B. J. Shaten, J. A. Cutler, and L. H. Kuller, “Alcohol use and mortality from coronary heart disease: the role of high- density lipoprotein cholesterol,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 116, no. 11, pp. 881–887, 1992.
- W. Sun, C. M. Schooling, W. M. Chan, K. S. Ho, T. H. Lam, and G. M. Leung, “Moderate alcohol use, health status, and mortality in a prospective Chinese elderly cohort,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 396–403, 2009.
- M. J. Thun, R. Peto, A. D. Lopez et al., “Alcohol consumption and mortality among middle-aged and elderly U.S. adults,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 337, no. 24, pp. 1705–1714, 1997.
- S. G. Wannamethee and A. G. Shaper, “Lifelong teetotallers, ex-drinkers and drinkers: mortality and the incidence of major coronary heart disease events in middle-aged British men,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 523–531, 1997.
- M. A. Collins, E. J. Neafsey, K. J. Mukamal et al., “Alcohol in moderation, cardioprotection, and neuroprotection: epidemiological considerations and mechanistic studies,” Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 206–219, 2009.
- A. L. Klatsky, “Alcohol and cardiovascular health,” Physiology and Behavior, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 76–81, 2010.
- A. Di Castelnuovo, S. Costanzo, M. B. Donati, L. Iacoviello, and G. de Gaetano, “Prevention of cardiovascular risk by moderate alcohol consumption: epidemiologic evidence and plausible mechanisms,” Internal and Emergency Medicine, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 291–297, 2010.
- K. J. Mukamal, E. L. Ding, and L. Djoussé, “Alcohol consumption, physical activity, and chronic disease risk factors: a population-based cross-sectional survey,” BMC Public Health, vol. 6, article no. 118, 2006.
- N. El-Guebaly, “Investigating the association between moderate drinking and mental health,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. S55–S62, 2007.
- S. Peele and A. Brodsky, “Exploring psychological benefits associated with moderate alcohol use: a necessary corrective to assessments of drinking outcomes?” Drug and Alcohol Dependence, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 221–247, 2000.
- K. A. Ammar, S. Samee, R. Colligan et al., “Is self-reported moderate drinking in the cardiovascular benefit range associated with alcoholic behavior? A population based study,” Journal of Addictive Diseases, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 243–249, 2009.
- G. Corrao, V. Bagnardi, A. Zambon, and C. La Vecchia, “A meta-analysis of alcohol consumption and the risk of 15 diseases,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 613–619, 2004.
- C. Bosetti, A. Altieri, and C. La Vecchia, “Diet and environmental carcinogenesis in breast/gynaecological cancers,” Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 13–18, 2002.
- M. C. Pike, L. N. Kolonel, B. E. Henderson et al., “Breast cancer in a multiethnic cohort in Hawaii and Los Angeles: risk factor-adjusted incidence in Japanese equals and in Hawaiians exceeds that in whites,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 795–800, 2002.
- G. Pöschl, F. Stickel, X. D. Wang, and H. K. Seitz, “Alcohol and cancer: genetic and nutritional aspects,” Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 65–71, 2004.
- S. N. Blair, H. W. Kohl III, R. S. Paffenbarger Jr., D. G. Clark, K. H. Cooper, and L. W. Gibbons, “Physical fitness and all-cause mortality: a prospective study of healthy men and women,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 262, no. 17, pp. 2395–2401, 1989.
- E. Giovannucci, G. Colditz, M. J. Stampfer et al., “The assessment of alcohol consumption by a simple self-administered questionnaire,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 133, no. 8, pp. 810–817, 1991.
- J. R. Hebert, I. S. Ockene, T. G. Hurley et al., “Development and testing of a seven-day dietary recall,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 925–937, 1997.
- C. D. Lee, X. Sui, and S. N. Blair, “Combined effects of cardiorespiratory fitness, not smoking, and normal waist girth on morbidity and mortality in men,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 169, no. 22, pp. 2096–2101, 2009.
- W. Byun, J. C. Sieverdes, X. Sui et al., “Effect of positive health factors and all-cause mortality in men,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 1632–1638, 2010.
- T. G. Pickering, J. E. Hall, L. J. Appel et al., “Recommendations for blood pressure measurement in humans and experimental animals—part 1: blood pressure measurement in humans: a statement for professionals from the subcommittee of professional and public education of the American Heart Association council on high blood pressure research,” Hypertension, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 142–161, 2005.
- J. I. Cleeman and C. Lenfant, “The National Cholesterol Education Program. Progress and prospects,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 280, no. 24, pp. 2099–2104, 1998.
- J. R. Gavin, K. G. M. M. Alberti, M. B. Davidson et al., “Report of the expert committee on the diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes Care, vol. 26, supplement 1, pp. S5–S20, 2003.
- B. Balke and R. W. Ware, “An experimental study of physical fitness of Air Force personnel,” US Armed Forces Medical Journal, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 675–688, 1959.
- M. L. Pollock, R. L. Bohannon, and K. H. Cooper, “A comparative analysis of four protocols for maximal treadmill stress testing,” American Heart Journal, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 39–46, 1976.
- S. N. Blair, Y. Cheng, and J. Scott Holder, “Is physical activity or physical fitness more important in defining health benefits?” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. S379–S399, 2001.
- X. Sui, M. J. LaMonte, and S. N. Blair, “Cardiorespiratory fitness as a predictor of nonfatal cardiovascular events in asymptomatic women and men,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 165, no. 12, pp. 1413–1423, 2007.
- B. Taylor, H. M. Irving, D. Baliunas et al., “Alcohol and hypertension: gender differences in dose-response relationships determined through systematic review and meta-analysis: REVIEW,” Addiction, vol. 104, no. 12, pp. 1981–1990, 2009.
- S. Kiechl, J. Willeit, W. Poewe et al., “Insulin sensitivity and regular alcohol consumption: large, prospective, cross sectional population study (Bruneck study),” British Medical Journal, vol. 313, no. 7064, pp. 1040–1044, 1996.
- E. B. Rimm, P. Williams, K. Fosher, M. Criqui, and M. J. Stampfer, “Moderate alcohol intake and lower risk of coronary heart disease: meta-analysis of effects on lipids and haemostatic factors,” British Medical Journal, vol. 319, no. 7224, pp. 1523–1528, 1999.
- J. W. J. Beulens, E. B. Rimm, A. Ascherio, D. Spiegelman, H. F. J. Hendriks, and K. J. Mukamal, “Alcohol consumption and risk for coronary heart disease among men with hypertension,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 146, no. 1, pp. 10–19, 2007.
- M. S. Freiberg, H. J. Cabral, T. C. Heeren, R. S. Vasan, and R. C. Ellison, “Alcohol consumption and the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in the U.S. A cross-sectional analysis of data from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 2954–2959, 2004.
- A. Di Castelnuovo, S. Costanzo, V. Bagnardi, M. B. Donati, L. Iacoviello, and G. De Gaetano, “Alcohol dosing and total mortality in men and women: an updated meta-analysis of 34 prospective studies,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 166, no. 22, pp. 2437–2445, 2006.
- D. Lloyd-Jones, R. J. Adams, T. M. Brown et al., “Heart disease and stroke statistics—2010 update: a report from the American heart association,” Circulation, vol. 121, no. 7, pp. e46–e215, 2010.
- L. Djoussé, I. M. Lee, J. E. Buring, and J. M. Gaziano, “Alcohol consumption and risk of cardiovascular disease and death in women: potential mediating mechanisms,” Circulation, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 237–244, 2009.
- R. Femia, A. Natali, A. L'Abbate, and E. Ferrannini, “Coronary atherosclerosis and alcohol consumption: angiographic and mortality data,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 1607–1612, 2006.
- A. H. Lichtenstein, L. J. Appel, M. Brands et al., “Diet and lifestyle recommendations revision 2006: a scientific statement from the American heart association nutrition committee,” Circulation, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 82–96, 2006.
- J. Rehm, C. Mathers, S. Popova, M. Thavorncharoensap, Y. Teerawattananon, and J. Patra, “Global burden of disease and injury and economic cost attributable to alcohol use and alcohol-use disorders,” The Lancet, vol. 373, no. 9682, pp. 2223–2233, 2009.
- A. E. Rogers and M. W. Conner, “Alcohol and cancer,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 206, pp. 473–495, 1986.
- U. A. Hvidtfeldt, J. S. Tolstrup, M. U. Jakobsen et al., “Alcohol intake and risk of coronary heart disease in younger, middle-aged, and older adults,” Circulation, vol. 121, no. 14, pp. 1589–1597, 2010.
- S. Costanzo, A. Di Castelnuovo, M. B. Donati, L. Iacoviello, and G. de Gaetano, “Alcohol consumption and mortality in patients with cardiovascular disease. A meta-analysis,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 55, no. 13, pp. 1339–1347, 2010.
- R. A. Bell, E. J. Mayer-Davis, M. A. Martin, R. B. D'Agostino, and S. M. Haffner, “Associations between alcohol consumption and insulin sensitivity and cardiovascular disease risk factors: the insulin resistance and atherosclerosis study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 1630–1636, 2000.
- C. S. Fuchs, M. J. Stampfer, G. A. Colditz et al., “Alcohol consumption and mortality among women,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 332, no. 19, pp. 1245–1250, 1995.
- A. L. Klatsky, G. D. Friedman, M. A. Armstrong, and H. Kipp, “Wine, liquor, beer, and mortality,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 158, no. 6, pp. 585–595, 2003.
- T. O. Kiviniemi, A. Saraste, J. O. Toikka et al., “A moderate dose of red wine, but not de-alcoholized red wine increases coronary flow reserve,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 195, no. 2, pp. e176–e181, 2007.
- A. Imhof, I. Plamper, S. Maier, G. Trischler, and W. Koenig, “Effect of drinking on adiponectin in healthy men and women: a randomized intervention study of water, ethanol, red wine, and beer with or without alcohol,” Diabetes Care, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 1101–1103, 2009.
- S. N. Blair, W. B. Kannel, H. W. Kohl, N. Goodyear, and P. W. F. Wilson, “Surrogate measures of physical activity and physical fitness. Evidence for sedentary traits of resting tachycardia, obesity, and low vital capacity,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 129, no. 6, pp. 1145–1156, 1989.
- R. P. Murray, J. E. Connett, S. L. Tyas et al., “Alcohol volume, drinking pattern, and cardiovascular disease morbidity and mortality: is there a u-shaped function?” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 155, no. 3, pp. 242–248, 2002.
- R. Clarke, C. Frost, R. Collins, P. Appleby, and R. Peto, “Dietary lipids and blood cholesterol: quantitative meta-analysis of metabolic ward studies,” British Medical Journal, vol. 314, no. 7074, pp. 112–117, 1997.
- C. L. Hart and G. D. Smith, “Alcohol consumption and mortality and hospital admissions in men from the Midspan Collaborative cohort study,” Addiction, vol. 103, no. 12, pp. 1979–1986, 2008.
- I. H. M. Friesema, P. J. Zwietering, M. Y. Veenstra, J. A. Knottnerus, H. F. L. Garretsen, and P. H. H. M. Lemmens, “Alcohol intake and cardiovascular disease and mortality: the role of pre-existing disease,” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 441–446, 2007.
- L. W. Gibbons, T. L. Mitchell, M. Wei, S. N. Blair, and K. H. Cooper, “Maximal exercise test as a predictor of risk for mortality from coronary heart disease in asymptomatic men,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 53–58, 2000.
- G. J. Balady, M. G. Larson, R. S. Vasan, E. P. Leip, C. J. O'Donnell, and D. Levy, “Usefulness of exercise testing in the prediction of coronary disease risk among asymptomatic persons as a function of the Framingham risk score,” Circulation, vol. 110, no. 14, pp. 1920–1925, 2004.