- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 150473, 7 pages
Measurement of Harm Outcomes in Older Adults after Hospital Discharge: Reliability and Validity
1School of Rehabilitation Science, IAHS Building, Rm 402, McMaster University, 1400 Main St. W. Hamilton, ON, Canada L8S 1C7
2Department of Rehabilitation Science, McMaster University, Canada
3Centre for Health Education Scholarship, Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Canada
Received 22 December 2011; Accepted 21 February 2012
Academic Editor: Thomas M. Hess
Copyright © 2012 Alison Douglas et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. B. Dyer, S. Pickens, and J. Burnett, “Vulnerable elders: when it is no longer safe to live alone,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 298, no. 12, pp. 1448–1450, 2007.
- J. Cameron, L. Worrall- Carter, K. Page, B. Riegel, S. Kai Lo, and S. Stewart, “Does cognitive impairment predict poor self-care in patients with heart failure?” European Journal of Heart Failure, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 508–515, 2010.
- R. A. Ruchinskas and K. J. Curyto, “Cognitive screening in geriatric rehabilitation,” Rehabilitation Psychology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 14–22, 2003.
- R. A. Ruchinskas, H. K. Singer, and N. K. Repetz, “Cognitive status and ambulation in geriatric rehabilitation: walking without thinking?” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 81, no. 9, pp. 1224–1228, 2000.
- T. N. Tombaugh and N. J. McIntyre, “The mini-mental state examination: a comprehensive review,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 922–935, 1992.
- S. E. MacNeill, T. Gerskovich, J. Caron, and P. A. Lichtenberg, “Living alone: predictors of recovery during medical rehabilitation,” Clinical Gerontologist, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 3–13, 1997.
- J. D. Nadler, E. D. Richardson, P. F. Malloy, M. E. Marran, and M. E. H. Brinson, “The ability of the dementia rating scale to predict everyday functioning,” Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 449–460, 1993.
- D. I. Velligan, C. C. Bow-Thomas, R. Mahurin, A. Miller, A. Dassori, and F. Erdely, “Concurrent and predictive validity of the allen cognitive levels assessment,” Psychiatry Research, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 287–298, 1998.
- M. C. Tierney, J. Charles, G. Naglie, S. Jaglal, A. Kiss, and R. H. Fisher, “Risk factors for harm in cognitively impaired seniors who live alone: a prospective study,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 1435–1441, 2004.
- M. C. Tierney, W. G. Snow, J. Charles, R. Moineddin, and A. Kiss, “Neuropsychological predictors of self-neglect in cognitively impaired older people who live alone,” American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 15, pp. 140–148, 2007.
- D. L. Streiner and G. R. Norman, Health Measurement Scales: A Practical Guide to their Development and Use, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2003.
- C. Oczkowski and M. O'Donnell, “Reliability of proxy respondents for patients with stroke: a systematic review,” Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 410–416, 2010.
- P. J. Neumann, S. S. Araki, and E. M. Gutterman, “The use of proxy respondents in studies of older adults: lessons, challenges, and opportunities,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 1646–1654, 2000.
- A. Baird, K. Podell, M. Lovell, and S. B. McGinty, “Complex real-world functioning and neuropsychological test performance in older adults,” Clinical Neuropsychologist, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 369–379, 2001.