- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 306818, 30 pages
Flexibility Training and Functional Ability in Older Adults: A Systematic Review
1Canadian Centre for Activity and Aging, School of Kinesiology, The University of Western Ontario, London, 3M Centre 2225, ON, Canada N6A 3K7
2School of Physical Therapy, Elborn College 1400, The University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada N6A 3K7
Received 9 July 2012; Accepted 11 September 2012
Academic Editor: Wojtek Chodzko-Zajko
Copyright © 2012 Liza Stathokostas et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. H. Paterson and D. E. R. Warburton, “Physical activity and functional limitations in older adults: a systematic review related to Canada's Physical Activity Guidelines,” International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol. 7, article 38, 2010.
- W. J. Chodzko-Zajko, D. N. Proctor, M. A. Fiatarone Singh et al., “Exercise and physical activity for older adults,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 1510–1530, 2009.
- K. P. Speer, Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation for Active Older Adults, Human Kinetics, Champaign, Ill, USA, 2005.
- C. E. Garber, B. Blissmer, M. R. Deschenes et al., “Quantity and quality of exercise for developing and maintaining cardiorespiratory, musculoskeletal, and neuromotor fitness in apparently healthy adults: guidance for prescribing exercise,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 1334–1359, 2011.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. 29–34. 2008.
- D. C. Lau, J. D. Douketis, K. M. Morrison, I. M. Hramiak, A. M. Sharma, and E. Ur, “2006 Canadian clinical practice guidelines on the management and prevention of obesity in adults and children,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 176, no. 8, pp. S1–S13, 2007.
- S. H. Downs and N. Black, “The feasibility of creating a checklist for the assessment of the methodological quality both of randomised and non-randomised studies of health care interventions,” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 377–384, 1998.
- S. C. Gorber, M. Tremblay, D. Moher, and B. Gorber, “A comparison of direct versus self-report measures for assessing height, weight and body mass index: a systematic review,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 307–326, 2007.
- C. Barrett and P. Smerdely, “A comparison of community-based resistance exercise and flexibility exercise for seniors,” Australian Journal of Physiotherapy, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 215–219, 2002.
- D. A. Klein, W. J. Stone, W. T. Phillips, J. Gangi, and S. Hartman, “PNF training and physical function in assisted-living older adults,” Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 476–488, 2002.
- M. Brown, D. R. Sinacore, A. A. Ehsani, E. F. Binder, J. O. Holloszy, and W. M. Kohrt, “Low-intensity exercise as a modifier of physical frailty in older adults,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 81, no. 7, pp. 960–965, 2000.
- A. C. King, L. A. Pruitt, W. Phillips, R. Oka, A. Rodenburg, and W. L. Haskell, “Comparative effects of two physical activity programs on measured and perceived physical functioning and other health-related quality of life outcomes in older adults,” Journals of Gerontology Series A, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. M74–M83, 2000.
- D. A. Lazowski, N. A. Ecclestone, A. M. Myers et al., “A randomized outcome evaluation of group exercise programs in long-term care institutions,” Journals of Gerontology Series A, vol. 54, no. 12, pp. M621–M628, 1999.
- D. C. Stanziano, B. A. Roos, A. C. Perry, S. Lai, and J. F. Signorile, “The effects of an active-assisted stretching program on functional performance in elderly persons: a pilot study,” Clinical Interventions in Aging, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 115–120, 2009.
- D. M. Raab, J. C. Agre, M. McAdam, and E. L. Smith, “Light resistance and stretching exercise in elderly women: effect upon flexibility,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 268–272, 1988.
- M. L. Bird, K. Hill, M. Ball, and A. D. Williams, “Effects of resistance- and flexibility-exercise interventions on balance and related measures in older adults,” Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 444–454, 2009.
- A. M. Swank, D. C. Funk, M. P. Durham, and S. Roberts, “Adding weights to stretching exercise increases passive range of motion for healthy elderly,” The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 374–378, 2003.
- N. B. Alexander, M. M. Gross, J. L. Medell, and M. R. Hofmeyer, “Effects of functional ability and training on chair-rise biomechanics in older adults,” Journals of Gerontology Series A, vol. 56, no. 9, pp. M538–M547, 2001.
- N. Takeshima, N. L. Rogers, M. E. Rogers, M. M. Islam, D. Koizumi, and S. Lee, “Functional fitness gain varies in older adults depending on exercise mode,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 2036–2043, 2007.
- K. I. Erickson, M. W. Voss, R. S. Prakash et al., “Exercise training increases size of hippocampus and improves memory,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 108, no. 7, pp. 3017–3022, 2011.
- E. Ceceli, F. Gökoǧlu, M. Köybaşi, O. Cicek, and Z. R. Yorgancioǧlu, “The comparison of balance, functional activity, and flexibility between active and sedentary elderly,” Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 198–202, 2009.
- C. L. Christiansen, “The effects of hip and ankle stretching on gait function of older people,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 89, no. 8, pp. 1421–1428, 2008.
- F. Cristopoliski, J. A. Barela, N. Leite, N. E. Fowler, and A. L. F. Rodacki, “Stretching exercise program improves gait in the elderly,” Gerontology, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 614–620, 2009.
- L. H. Batista, A. C. Vilar, J. J. De Almeida Ferreira, J. R. Rebelatto, and T. F. Salvini, “Active stretching improves flexibility, joint torque, and functional mobility in older women,” American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 88, no. 10, pp. 815–822, 2009.
- E. G. Johnson, B. D. Bradley, K. R. Witkowski et al., “Effect of a static calf muscle-tendon unit stretching program on ankle dorsiflexion range of motion of older women,” Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 49–52, 2007.
- R. L. Gajdosik, D. W. Vander Linden, P. J. McNair, A. K. Williams, and T. J. Riggin, “Effects of an eight-week stretching program on the passive-elastic properties and function of the calf muscles of older women,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 973–983, 2005.
- J. F. Petty, V. S. Mercer, and M. T. Gross, “Relationship between maximum ankle dorsiflexion range of motion and maximal posterior horizontal excursion in standing,” Issues on Aging, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 7–14, 1999.
- D. C. Kerrigan, A. Xenopoulos-Oddsson, M. J. Sullivan, J. J. Lelas, and P. O. Riley, “Effect of a hip flexor—stretching program on gait in the elderly,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2003.
- R. A. Rider and J. Daly, “Effects of flexibility training on enhancing spinal mobility in older women,” Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 213–217, 1991.
- M. C. Weng, C. L. Lee, C. H. Chen et al., “Effects of different stretching techniques on the outcomes of isokinetic exercise in patients with knee osteoarthritis,” Kaohsiung Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 306–315, 2009.
- S. B. Thacker, J. Gilchrist, D. F. Stroup, and C. D. Kimsey, “The impact of stretching on sports injury risk: a systematic review of the literature,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 371–378, 2004.
- J. L. Leibesman and E. Cafarelli, “Physiology of range of motion in human joints: a critical review,” Critical Reviews in Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 131–160, 1994.
- ACSM, ACSM's Resource Manual for Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription, Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Philidelphia, Pa, USA, 8 edition, 2010.
- A. D. Kay and A. J. Blazevich, “Effect of acute static stretch on maximal muscle performance: a systematic review,” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 44, pp. 154–164, 2012.
- I. Shrier, “Does stretching improve performance? A systematic and critical review of the literature,” Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 267–273, 2004.
- P. Estabrooks and A. V. Carron, “The conceptualization and effect of control beliefs on exercise attendance in the elderly,” Journal of Aging and Health, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 441–457, 1998.