- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 373294, 4 pages
Aging, Physical Activity, and Disease Prevention 2012
Department of Neurology, Justus-Liebig University Giessen, 35392 Giessen, Germany
Received 9 November 2012; Accepted 9 November 2012
Copyright © 2012 Iris Reuter. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- United Nations, “Population Division: World Population Ageing 1950–2050,” New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- K. Sakuma and A. Yamaguchi, “Sarcopenia and age-related endocrine function,” International Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 2012, Article ID 127362, 10 pages, 2012.
- T. E. Seeman, S. S. Merkin, E. M. Crimmins, and A. S. Karlamangla, “Disability trends among older Americans: National Health and Nutrition Examination surveys, 1988–1994 and 1999–2004,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 100–107, 2010.
- D. Palacios-Ceña, R. Jiménez-García, V. Hernández-Barrera, C. Alonso-Blanco, P. Carrasco-Garrido, and C. Fernández-de-Las-Peñas, “Has the prevalence of disability increased over the past decade (2000–2007) in elderly people? A Spanish population-based survey,” Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 136–142, 2012.
- D. Palacios-Ceña, C. Fernandez-de-Las-Peñas, V. Hernández-Barrera, R. Jiménez-Garcia, C. Alonso-Blanco, and P. Carrasco-Garrido, “Sports participation increased in Spain: a population-based time trend study of 21 381 adults in the years 2000, 2005 and 2010,” British Journal of Sports medicine, vol. 46, no. 16, pp. 1137–1139, 2012.
- T. S. Church, C. P. Earnest, J. S. Skinner, and S. N. Blair, “Effects of different doses of physical activity oncardiorespiratory fitness among sedentary, overweight or obese postmenopausal women with elevated blood pressure: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 297, no. 19, pp. 2081–2091, 2007.
- World Health Organisation, Health and Development through Physical Activity and Sport, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2003.
- K. N. Boutelle, D. M. Murray, R. W. Jeffery, D. J. Hennrikus, and H. A. Lando, “Associations between exercise and health behaviors in a community sample of working adults,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 217–224, 2000.
- H. Löllgen, “Also true in coronary heart disease: the well trained patient lives longer,” MMW Fortschritte der Medizin, vol. 144, no. 49, p. 5, 2002.
- T. Prohaska, E. Belansky, B. Belza et al., “Physical activity, public health, and aging: critical issues and research priorities,” Journals of Gerontology B, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. S267–S273, 2006.
- S. Colcombe and A. F. Kramer, “Fitness effects on the cognitive function of older adults: a meta-analytic study,” Psychological Science, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 125–130, 2003.
- H. Chen, S. M. Zhang, M. A. Schwarzschild, M. A. Hernán, and A. Ascherio, “Physical activity and the risk of Parkinson disease,” Neurology, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 664–669, 2005.
- E. L. Thacker, H. Chen, A. V. Patel et al., “Recreational physical activity and risk of Parkinson's disease,” Movement Disorders, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 69–74, 2008.
- G. Logroscino, H. D. Sesso, R. S. Paffenbarger Jr., and I. M. Lee, “Physical activity and risk of Parkinson's disease: a prospective cohort study,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 77, no. 12, pp. 1318–1322, 2006.
- I. Reuter and G. Ebersbach, “Effektivität von Sport bei M. Parkinson,” Aktuelle Neurologie, vol. 5, pp. 236–247, 2012.
- C. J. Caspersen, K. E. Powell, and G. M. Christenson, “Physical activity, exercise and physical fitness: definitions and distinctions for health-related research,” Public Health Reports, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 126–131, 1985.
- M. C. Ashe, W. C. Miller, J. J. Eng, L. Noreau, and Physical Activity and Chronic Conditions Research Team, “Older adults, chronic disease and leisure-time physical activity,” Gerontology, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 64–72, 2009.
- “Global recommendation on physical activity for health 65 years and above,” World Health Organisation, 2011.
- J. S. Brach, E. M. Simonsick, S. Kritchevsky, K. Yaffe, and A. B. Newman, “The association between physical function and lifestyle activity and exercise in the health, aging and body composition study,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 502–509, 2004.
- S. C. Dumith, P. C. Hallal, R. S. Reis, and H. W. Kohl III, “Worldwide prevalence of physical inactivity and its association with human development index in 76 countries,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 53, no. 1-2, pp. 24–28, 2011.
- L. DiPietro, “Physical activity in aging: changes in patterns and their relationship to health and function,” Journals of Gerontology A, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 13–22, 2001.
- J. E. Manson, F. B. Hu, J. W. Rich-Edwards et al., “A prospective study of walking as compared with vigorous exercise in the prevention of coronary heart disease in women,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 341, no. 9, pp. 650–658, 1999.
- I. M. Lee, C. C. Hsieh, and R. S. Paffenbarger, “Exercise intensity and longevity in men: The Harvard Alumni Health Study,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 273, no. 15, pp. 1179–1184, 1995.
- P. Oja, “Dose response between total volume of physical activity and health and fitness,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 33, no. 6, supplement, pp. S428–S437, 2001.