- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 384017, 21 pages
Insulin in Central Nervous System: More than Just a Peripheral Hormone
1CNC, Center for Neuroscience and Cell Biology, University of Coimbra, 3004-517 Coimbra, Portugal
2Institute of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Coimbra, 3000-354 Coimbra, Portugal
3Institute of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Coimbra, 3000-354 Coimbra, Portugal
Received 4 April 2011; Revised 12 October 2011; Accepted 23 November 2011
Academic Editor: Barbara Shukitt-Hale
Copyright © 2012 Ana I. Duarte et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [26 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Waqar Ahmad, “Overlapped Metabolic and Therapeutic Links between Alzheimer and Diabetes,” Molecular Neurobiology, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 399–424, 2012.
- Emanuel Candeias, Ana I. Duarte, Cristina Carvalho, Sónia C. Correia, Susana Cardoso, Renato X. Santos, Ana I. Plácido, George Perry, and Paula I. Moreira, “The impairment of insulin signaling in Alzheimer's disease,” IUBMB Life, vol. 64, no. 12, pp. 951–957, 2012.
- Marco G. Alves, Pedro F. Oliveira, Sílvia Socorro, and Paula I. Moreira, “Impact of diabetes in blood-testis and blood-brain barriers: Resemblances and differences,” Current Diabetes Reviews, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 401–412, 2012.
- Madhav Thambisetty, Jeffrey Metter, An Yang, Hillary Dolan, Christopher Marano, Alan B. Zonderman, Juan C. Troncoso, Yun Zhou, Dean F. Wong, Luigi Ferrucci, Josephine Egan, Susan M. Resnick, and Richard J. O'Brien, “Glucose Intolerance, Insulin Resistance, and Pathological Features of Alzheimer Disease in the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging,” Jama Neurology, vol. 70, no. 9, pp. 1167–1172, 2013.
- Kazuhiro Sugimoto, Masayuki Baba, Susumu Suzuki, and Soroku Yagihashi, “The Impact of Low-Dose Insulin on Peripheral Nerve Insulin Receptor Signaling in Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 8, 2013.
- Zhichun Chen, and Chunjiu Zhong, “Decoding Alzheimer's disease from perturbed cerebral glucose metabolism: Implications for diagnostic and therapeutic strategies,” Progress in Neurobiology, 2013.
- Bikash Medhi, and Mrinmoy Chakrabarty, “Insulin resistance: an emerging link in Alzheimer’s disease,” Neurological Sciences, 2013.
- Tania F. Gendron, Yong-Jie Zhang, and Leonard Petrucelli, “Does Obesity-Induced tau Phosphorylation Tip the Scale Toward Dementia?,” Diabetes, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 1365–1366, 2013.
- Konstantin Bloch, Alexey Vanichkin, and Pnina Vardi, “Islet Transplantation in a Subarachnoid Cavity Surrounding Olfactory Bulb of Diabetic Rats,” Transplantation, vol. 95, no. 8, pp. E54–E57, 2013.
- Yanxing Chen, Zhihou Liang, Julie Blanchard, Chun-Ling Dai, Shenggang Sun, Moon H. Lee, Inge Grundke-Iqbal, Khalid Iqbal, Fei Liu, and Cheng-Xin Gong, “A Non-transgenic Mouse Model (icv-STZ Mouse) of Alzheimer's Disease: Similarities to and Differences from the Transgenic Model (3xTg-AD Mouse),” Molecular Neurobiology, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 711–725, 2013.
- A. I. Duarte, E. Candeias, S. C. Correia, R. X. Santos, C. Carvalho, S. Cardoso, A. Placido, M. S. Santos, C. R. Oliveira, and P. I. Moreira, “Crosstalk between diabetes and brain: Glucagon-like peptide-1 mimetics as a promising therapy against neurodegeneration,” Biochimica Et Biophysica Acta-Molecular Basis Of Disease, vol. 1832, no. 4, pp. 527–541, 2013.
- Mihran Bakalian, Peter Canoll, J. John Mann, Vattoly J. Majo, Suham A. Kassir, J. S. Dileep Kumar, Mark D. Underwood, Victoria Arango, Norman R. Simpson, and Jaya Prabhakaran, “Synthesis and in vitro evaluation of [F-18]BMS-754807: A potential PET ligand for IGF-1R,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 23, no. 14, pp. 4191–4194, 2013.
- C-H Park, S-M Kim, M-Y Chang, Y-H Rhee, S-H Lee, H-S Lee, S-H Yi, H-J Cha, M. Choi, and S-M Oh, “Insulin concentration is critical in culturing human neural stem cells and neurons,” Cell Death & Disease, vol. 4, 2013.
- Iwona Chmiel-Perzyńska, Adam Perzyński, and Ewa M. Urbańska, “Experimental diabetes mellitus type 1 increases hippocampal content of kynurenic acid in rats,” Pharmacological Reports, 2014.
- Jingjing Zhang, and Feng Liu, “Tissue-specific insulin signaling in the regulation of metabolism and aging,” IUBMB Life, 2014.
- Zayda Lazcano, Oscar Solis, María Elena Bringas, Daniel Limón, Alfonso Diaz, Blanca Espinosa, Isabel García-Peláez, Gonzalo Flores, and Jorge Guevara, “ Unilateral injection of Aβ 25-35 in the hippocampus reduces the number of dendritic spines in hyperglycemic rats ,” Synapse, 2014.
- Andrea Giustina, R. Berardelli, C. Gazzaruso, and G. Mazziotti, “Insulin and GH–IGF-I axis: endocrine pacer or endocrine disruptor?,” Acta Diabetologica, 2014.
- InÃªs SebastiÃ£o, Emanuel Candeias, Maria S. Santos, Catarina R. de Oliveira, Paula I. Moreira, and Ana I. Duarte, “Insulin as a Bridge between Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer Disease â€“ How Anti-Diabetics Could be a Solution for Dementia,” Frontiers in Endocrinology, vol. 5, 2014.
- Lindsay J. Spielman, Jonathan P. Little, and Andis Klegeris, “Inflammation and insulin/IGF-1 resistance as the possible link between obesity and neurodegeneration,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, 2014.
- Hanzhe Kuang, Miao Sun, Juanxiu Lv, Jiayue Li, Chonglong Wu, Ningjing Chen, Le Bo, Xiaoguang Wei, Xiuxia Gu, Zhen Liu, Caiping Mao, and Zhice Xu, “Hippocampal apoptosis involved in learning deficits in the offspring exposed to maternal high sucrose diets,” The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, 2014.
- David S. Knopman, Ruth H. Cha, Michelle M. Mielke, V. Shane Pankratz, Bradley F. Boeve, Kejal Kantarci, Yonas E. Geda, Clifford R. Jack, Ronald C. Petersen, and Val J. Lowe, “Diabetes and Elevated Hemoglobin A1c Levels Are Associated with Brain Hypometabolism but Not Amyloid Accumulation,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 759–764, 2014.
- Sayonara Rangel Oliveira, Andréa Name Colado Simão, Ana Paula Kallaur, Elaine Regina Delicato de Almeida, Helena Kaminami Morimoto, Josiane Lopes, Isaias Dichi, Damácio Ramon Kaimen-Maciel, and Edna Maria Vissoci Reiche, “Disability in patients with multiple sclerosis: Influence of insulin resistance, adiposity, and oxidative stress,” Nutrition, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 268–273, 2014.
- Fares Bassil, Pierre-Olivier Fernagut, Erwan Bezard, and Wassilios G. Meissner, “Insulin, IGF-1 and GLP-1 signaling in neurodegenerative disorders: Targets for disease modification?,” Progress in Neurobiology, 2014.
- Noura B. El Khoury, Maud Gratuze, Marie-Amelie Papon, and Alexis Bretteville, “Insulin dysfunction and Tau pathology,” Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience, vol. 8, 2014.
- Mahesh Ramalingam, and Sung-Jin Kim, “Mechanisms of action of brain insulin against neurodegenerative diseases,” Journal of Neural Transmission, 2014.
- Juhyun Song, Won Taek Lee, Kyung Ah Park, and Jong Eun Lee, “Association between Risk Factors for Vascular Dementia and Adiponectin,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2014, pp. 1–13, 2014.