- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 423801, 3 pages
Comparison of Nursing Home Hearing Handicap Index with Audiological Findings: A Presbycusis Study
1Audiology Department, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan 8174673461, Iran
2Audiology Department, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran 141556559, Iran
3Department of Community Medicine, School of Medicine, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan 8174673461, Iran
Received 8 August 2012; Revised 4 October 2012; Accepted 5 October 2012
Academic Editor: Kee Lee Chou
Copyright © 2012 M. H. Nilforoush et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. C. Garstecki and S. F. Erler, “Hearing care providers and individuals with impaired hearing: continuing and relationships in the new millennium,” in Rehabilitative Audiology, J. G. Alpiner and P. A. McCarthy,, Eds., pp. 27–59, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, Md, USA, 3rd edition, 2000.
- N. Tye-Murray, Foundation of Aural Rehabilitation, Thomson, St. Louis, Miss, USA, 2nd edition, 2004.
- R. L. Schow and S. Gatehouse, “Fundamental issues in self-assessment of hearing,” Ear and Hearing, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 6s–16s, 1990.
- M. I. Gomez, S. A. Hwang, L. Sobotova, A. D. Stark, and J. J. May, “A comparison of self-reported hearing loss and audiometry in a cohort of New York farmers,” Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1201–1208, 2001.
- T. G. Giolas, “The measurement of hearing handicap: revisited: a 20- year perspective,” Ear and Hearing, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 2s–5s, 1990.
- S. W. Choi, C. Peek-Asa, C. Zwerling et al., “A comparison of self-reported hearing and pure tone threshold average in the Iowa Farm Family Health and Hazard Survey,” Journal of Agromedicine, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 31–39, 2005.
- F. R. William, A Volume in Perspectives Audiology Series: Hearing Assessment, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1991.
- T. G. Giolas, E. Owens, S. H. Lamb, and E. D. Schubert, “Hearing performance inventory,” Journal of Speech and Hearing Disorders, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 169–195, 1979.
- M. Ventry and B. E. Weinstein, “The hearing handicap inventory for the elderly: a new tool,” Ear and Hearing, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 128–134, 1982.
- M. E. Demorest and S. A. Erdman, “Development of the communication profile for the hearing impaired,” Journal of Speech and Hearing Disorders, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 129–143, 1987.
- R. L. Schow, T. C. Smedley, and T. M. Longhurst, “Self-assessment and impairment in adult/elderly hearing screening—recent data and new perspectives,” Ear and Hearing, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 17s–27s, 1990.
- D. M. Nondahl, K. J. Cruickshanks, T. L. Wiley, T. S. Tweed, R. Klein, and B. E. K. Klein, “Accuracy of self-reported hearing loss,” Audiology, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 295–301, 1998.
- S. K. Voeks, C. M. Gallagher, E. H. Langer, and P. J. Drinka, “Self-reported hearing difficulty and audiometric thresholds in nursing home residents,” Journal of Family Practice, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 54–58, 1993.
- J. Cohen-Mansfield and J. W. Taylor, “Hearing aid use in nursing homes Part 2: barriers to effective utilization of hearing aids,” Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 289–296, 2004.
- M. B. Garahan, J. A. Waller, M. Houghton, W. A. Tisdale, and C. F. Runge, “Hearing loss prevalence and management in nursing home residents,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 130–134, 1992.
- R. L. Schow and M. A. Nerbonne, “Assessment of hearing handicap by nursing home residents and staff,” Journal of Academy of Rehabilitative Audiology, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 2–12, 1977.
- C. M. Valete-Rosalino and S. Rozenfeld, “Auditory screening in the aged: comparison between self-report and audiometry,” Revista Brasileira de Otorrinolaringologia, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 193–200, 2005.
- G. A. Gates, M. Murphy, T. S. Rees, and A. Fraher, “Screening for handicapping hearing loss in the elderly,” Journal of Family Practice, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 56–62, 2003.
- H. N. Gutnick, E. A. Zillmer, and C. B. Philput, “Measurement and prediction of hearing loss in a nursing home,” Ear and Hearing, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 361–367, 1989.