- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 537467, 6 pages
Social Isolation and Aging in Zambia: Examining the Possible Predictors
1Department of Population Studies, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Zambia, Box 32379, Lusaka, Zambia
2Institute of Economics of Education and Management, Graduate School of Education, Huazhong University of Science & Technology, Wuhan 430074, China
Received 9 April 2012; Revised 11 June 2012; Accepted 25 June 2012
Academic Editor: Kee Lee Chou
Copyright © 2012 Christopher Chabila Mapoma and Gift Masaiti. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Colson and S. Thayer, New Economic Relationships Between Children and Parents, Cornell University, 1975.
- M. Kamwengo, Ageing and the Elderly in Zambia: Perspectives and Issues, Sterling International, New Delhi, India, 2001.
- M. Kamwengo, Growing Old in Zambia: Old and New Perspectives, Sterling International, New Delhi, India, 2004.
- N. Phiri, A phenomenological study of ageing amongst the older persons in Zambia [Ph.D. dissertation], University of South Africa, Department of Health Studies, 2004.
- A. Toner, Grains from Grass: Aging, Gender and Famine in Rural Africa, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA, 2005.
- L. Cliggertt, in My Mother's Keeper: Changing Family Support Systems For the Elderly in Eastern Africa, Edited By, D. Parkin, Ed., Oxford University Press, London, UK; Macmillan, London, UK, 2005.
- E. Duflo, “Grandmothers and granddaughters: old-age pensions and intrahousehold allocation in South Africa,” World Bank Economic Review, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 1–25, 2003.
- A. Day, “Opening address,” in Proceedings of the Social Isolation Conference, Canberra, Australia, May, 1992.
- I. Gardner, E. Brook, E. Ozanne, and H. Kendig, Improving Social Networks: A Research Report, Adelaide Lincoln Gerentological Centre, La Trobe University, 1998.
- M. Cattan and M. White, “Health promotion interventions targeting social isolation and loneliness,” in Proceedings of the Health Promotions for Elderly People: a Research into Ageing Workshop, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK, July, 1999.
- L. Haddad and S. Gillespie, “Effective food and nutrition policy responses to HIV/AIDS: what we know and what we need to know,” Journal of International Development, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 487–511, 2001.
- P. F. Brennan, S. M. Moore, and K. A. Smyth, “The effects of a special computer network on caregivers of persons with Alzheimer's disease,” Nursing Research, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 166–172, 1995.
- D. Edelbrock, L. Buys, H. Creasey, and G. A. Broe, “Social support, social networks and social isolation, the Sydney older persons study,” Australasian Journal on Ageing, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 2–34, 2001.
- B. Havens and N. P. Roos, “Predictors of successful ageing: a twelve year study of Manitoba elderly,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 63–68, 1991.
- M. Goodman, S. Schular, and J. L. Ross, “Social and economic forces affecting Gwembe Valley and the line of rail,” in Town and Country in Central and Southern Africa, pp. 190–210, 1983.
- A. Case and A. Deaton, “Large cash transfers to the elderly in South Africa,” Economic Journal, vol. 108, no. 450, pp. 1330–1361, 1998.
- J. R. Fraenkel and N. E. Wallen, How to Design and Evaluate Research in Education, McGraw Hill, Boston, Mass, USA, 5th edition, 2003.
- J. Knodel, S. Chanpen, and W. Obiero, “Do small families jeopardize old-age security? Evidence from Thailand,” Bold, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 13–17, 1999.
- United Nations Population Fund, World Population Status Report, United Nations Publications, New York, NY, USA, 2008.
- E. Gironda and M. Lubben, “Population ageing in Europe,” in Europe’s Population in the 1990s, D. Coleman, Ed., Oxford University, New York, NY, USA, 1996.
- J. Ogg, “Social exclusion and insecurity among older Europeans: the influence of welfare regimes,” Ageing & Society, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 69–90, 2005.
- J. Knodel and S. Chanpen, “Rural parents with urban children: social and economic implications of migration for the rural elderly in Thailand,” Population, Space and Place, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 193–210, 2007.
- WHO/IASO/IOTF (2000/2003), Asia-Pacific Perspective: Redefining Obesity and its Treatment, Health Communications, Sydney, Australia.
- P. Sugiswawa and C. Giudici, Demographic Implications of Social Exclusion in Central and Eastern Europe, Council of Europe, Strasbourg, France, 1994.