- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 597573, 6 pages
Wii-Fit for Improving Gait and Balance in an Assisted Living Facility: A Pilot Study
1Reynolds Department of Geriatrics, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR, USA
2Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center (GRECC), Central Arkansas Veterans Health Administration System, 2200 Fort Roots Drive (3J/NLR), North Little Rock, AR 72114, USA
3Department of Psychiatry, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR, USA
4Department of Family Medicine, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
5Department of Psychiatry, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
Received 3 January 2012; Revised 1 March 2012; Accepted 23 March 2012
Academic Editor: James Lindesay
Copyright © 2012 Kalpana P. Padala et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. Weller and J. Schatzker, “Hip fractures and Alzheimer's disease in elderly institutionalized Canadians,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 319–324, 2004.
- J. E. Wittwer, P. T. Andrews, K. E. Webster, and H. B. Menz, “Timing variability during gait initiation is increased in people with Alzheimer's disease compared to controls,” Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 277–283, 2008.
- L. M. Allan, C. G. Ballard, D. J. Burn, and R. A. Kenny, “Prevalence and severity of gait disorders in Alzheimer's and non-Alzheimer's dementias,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 53, no. 10, pp. 1681–1687, 2005.
- K. E. Webster, J. R. Merory, and J. E. Wittwer, “Gait variability in community dwelling adults with Alzheimer disease,” Alzheimer Disease and Associated Disorders, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 37–40, 2006.
- T. E. Howe, L. Rochester, A. Jackson, P. M. Banks, and V. A. Blair, “Exercise for improving balance in older people,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 17, no. 4, p. CD004963, 2007.
- S. Hiroyuki, Y. Uchiyama, and S. Kakurai, “Specific effects of balance and gait exercises on physical function among the frail elderly,” Clinical Rehabilitation, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 472–479, 2003.
- C. A. DeVito, R. O. Morgan, M. Duque, E. Abdel-Moty, and B. A. Virnig, “Physical performance effects of low-intensity exercise among clinically defined high-risk elders,” Gerontology, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 146–154, 2003.
- B. Belza, J. Walwick, S. Shiu-Thornton, S. Schwartz, and M. L. J. Taylor, “Older adult perspectives on physical activity and exercise: voices from multiple cultures,” Preventing Chronic Disease, vol. 1, no. 4, 2004, http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2004/oct/04_0028.htm.
- P. M. Dubbert, M. C. Morey, K. A. Kirchner, E. F. Meydrech, and K. Grothe, “Counseling for home-based walking and strength exercise in older primary care patients,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 168, no. 9, pp. 979–986, 2008.
- Nintendo, “Nintendo’s New Wii-Fit Makes Fitness Fun,” 2008, http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/TmadVVjFcD82KwM910ubiaDZ4H-HhB-U.
- S. W. Muir, K. Berg, B. Chesworth, and M. Speechley, “Use of the Berg Balance Scale for predicting multiple falls in community-dwelling elderly people: a prospective study,” Physical Therapy, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 449–459, 2008.
- M. E. Tinetti, T. Franklin Williams, and R. Mayewski, “Fall risk index for elderly patients based on number of chronic disabilities,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 429–434, 1986.
- D. Podsiadlo and S. Richardson, “The timed “Up and Go”: a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 142–148, 1991.
- S. Katz, A. B. Ford, R. W. Moskowitz, B. A. Jackson, and M. W. Jaffe, “Studies of illness in the aged. The index of ADL: a standardized measure of biological and psychosocial function,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 185, pp. 914–919, 1963.
- M. P. Lawton and E. M. Brody, “Assessment of older people: self-maintaining and instrumental activities of daily living,” Gerontologist, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 179–186, 1969.
- R. G. Logsdon, L. E. Gibbons, S. M. McCurry, and L. Teri, “Assessing quality of life in older adults with cognitive impairment,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 510–519, 2002.
- M. F. Folstein, S. E. Folstein, and McHugh P. R., “Mini-Mental State: a practical method for grading the state of patients for the clinician,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 12, pp. 189–198, 1975.
- M. Agmon, C. K. Perry, E. Phelan, G. Demiris, and H. Q. Nguyen, “A pilot study of wii-Fit exergames to improve balance in older adultz,” Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 161–167, 2011.
- J. Dougherty, A. Kancel, C. Ramar, C. Meacham, and S. Derrington, “The effects of a multi-axis balance board intervention program in an elderly population,” Missouri medicine, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 128–132, 2011.
- M. A. Williams, R. L. Soiza, A. M. Jenkinson, and A. Stewart, “EXercising with C-omputers in L-ater L-ife (EXCELL)—pilot and feasibility study of the acceptability of the Nintendo® Wii-Fit in community-dwelling fallers,” BMC Research Notes, vol. 3, article 238, 2010.
- K. Brandt and M. A. Paniagua, “The use of Nintendo Wii with long-term care residents,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 2393–2395, 2011.
- H. Yamaguchi, Y. Maki, and K. Takahashi, “Rehabilitation for dementia using enjoyable video-sports games,” International Psychogeriatrics, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 674–667, 2010.
- Nintendo Wii-Fit Plus, 2011, http://www.wiifit.com/.
- L. D. B. Thorbahn and R. A. Newton, “Use of the Berg balance test to predict falls in elderly persons,” Physical Therapy, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. 576–585, 1996.