- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 868797, 9 pages
Is There Successful Aging for Nonagenarians? The Vitality 90+ Study
1Gerontology Research Center and School of Health Sciences, 33014 University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland
2Finnish Cancer Registry, Institute of Statical and Epidemiological Cancer Research, Pieni Roobertinkatu 9, 00130 Helsinki, Finland
Received 23 March 2012; Revised 12 September 2012; Accepted 12 September 2012
Academic Editor: Loretta DiPietro
Copyright © 2012 Lily Nosraty et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. B. Palmore, “Successful ageing,” in The Encyclopedia of Aging, G. L. Maddox, S. W. Sussman, R. C. Atchley et al., Eds., pp. 914–915, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- M. von Faber, A. Bootsma-van der Wiel, E. van Exel et al., “Successful aging in the oldest old: who can be characterized as successfully aged?” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 161, no. 22, pp. 2694–2700, 2001.
- A. Bowling, “Aspirations for older age in the 21st century: what is successful aging?” International Journal of Aging and Human Development, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 263–297, 2007.
- A. Bowling, “Erratum: Lay perceptions of successful ageing: Findings from a national survey of middle aged and older adults in Britain (European Journal Ageing (2006) vol. 3 (123-136) 10.1007/s10433-006-0032-2),” European Journal of Ageing, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 57–58, 2007.
- J. W. Rowe and R. L. Kahn, “Human aging: usual and successful,” Science, vol. 237, no. 4811, pp. 143–149, 1987.
- J. W. Rowe and R. L. Kahn, “Successful aging,” Gerontologist, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 433–440, 1997.
- J. W. Rowe and R. L. Kahn, “Successful aging,” Aging—Clinical and Experimental Research, vol. 10, no. 2, article 142, 1998.
- J. W. Rowe, Successful Ageing, Dell, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
- M. Minkler and P. Fadem, “Successful aging,” Journal of Disability Policy Studies, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 229–235, 2002.
- C. A. Depp and D. V. Jeste, “Definitions and predictors of successful aging: a comprehensive review of larger quantitative studies,” American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 6–20, 2006.
- S. J. McLaughlin, C. M. Connell, S. G. Heeringa, L. W. Li, and J. S. Roberts, “Successful aging in the United States: prevalence estimates from a national sample of older adults,” Journals of Gerontology—Series B, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 216–226, 2010.
- R. A. Pruchno, M. Wilson-Genderson, and F. Cartwright, “A two-factor model of successful aging,” Journals of Gerontology—Series B, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 671–679, 2010.
- Y. Young, K. D. Frick, and E. A. Phelan, “Can successful aging and chronic illness coexist in the same individual? A multidimensional concept of successful aging,” Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 87–92, 2009.
- T. Sarkeala, T. Nummi, M. Vuorisalmi, A. Hervonen, and M. Jylhä, “Disability trends among nonagenarians in 2001–2007: vitality 90+ study,” European Journal of Ageing, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 87–94, 2011.
- M. Jylhä, “What is self-rated health and why does it predict mortality? Towards a unified conceptual model,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 307–316, 2009.
- Y. Young, M. Y. Fan, J. M. Parrish, and K. D. Frick, “Validation of a novel successful aging construct,” Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 314–322, 2009.
- F. Formiga, A. Ferrer, D. Chivite, M. Rubio-Rivas, S. Cuerpo, and R. Pujol, “Predictors of long-term survival in nonagenarians: the NonaSantfeliu study,” Age and Ageing, vol. 40, no. 1, Article ID afq127, pp. 111–116, 2011.
- A. L. Horgas, H. U. Wilms, and M. M. Baltes, “Daily life in very old age: everyday activities as expression of successful living,” Gerontologist, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 556–568, 1998.
- R. A. Pruchno, M. Wilson-Genderson, M. Rose, and F. Cartwright, “Successful aging: early influences and contemporary characteristics,” Gerontologist, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 821–833, 2010.
- S. Goebeler, M. Jylhä, and A. Hervonen, “Self-reported medical history and self-rated health at age 90. Agreement with medical records,” Aging—Clinical and Experimental Research, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 213–219, 2007.
- M. Vuorisalmi, Examining Self-Rated Health in Old Age Methodological Study of Survey Questions, Tampere University Press, Tampere, Finland, 2007.
- P. B. Baltes and M. M. Baltes, Successful Aging: Perspectives from the Behavioral Sciences, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1990.
- M. M. Baltes and L. L. Carstensen, “The process of successful ageing,” Ageing and Society, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 397–422, 1996.