- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 939285, 11 pages
Caudate Nucleus Volume Mediates the Link between Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Cognitive Flexibility in Older Adults
1Department of Psychology, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
2Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
3Department of Psychology, University of Pittsburgh, 3107 Sennott Square, 210 South Bouquet Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
4Department of Psychology, University of Iowa, Iowa city, IA 52242, USA
5Department of Psychology, The Ohio State University City, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
6Department of Psychology, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana at Champaign, IL 61820, USA
7Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, Champaign, IL, USA
8Department of Psychology, The University of Texas at Dallas, Dallas, TX 75080, USA
9Department of Kinesiology and Community Health, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana at Champaign, IL 61820, USA
Received 31 March 2012; Accepted 3 June 2012
Academic Editor: Denis Gerstorf
Copyright © 2012 Timothy D. Verstynen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [9 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Patrick J. Smith, Guy G. Potter, Molly M. McLaren, and James A. Blumenthal, “Impact of Aerobic Exercise on Neurobehavioral Outcomes,” Mental Health and Physical Activity, 2013.
- Candice L. Hogan, Jutta Mata, and Laura L. Carstensen, “Exercise Holds Immediate Benefits for Affect and Cognition in Younger and Older Adults,” Psychology And Aging, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 587–594, 2013.
- Scott M. Hayes, Jasmeet P. Hayes, Mieke Verfaellie, and Margaret Cadden, “A review of cardiorespiratory fitness-related neuroplasticity in the aging brain,” Frontiers In Aging Neuroscience, vol. 5, 2013.
- Claudia Niemann, Ben Godde, Ursula M. Staudinger, and Claudia Voelcker-Rehage, “Exercise induced changes in basal ganglia volume and cognition in older adults,” Neuroscience, 2014.
- Kirk I. Erickson, Regina L. Leckie, and Andrea M. Weinstein, “Physical activity, fitness, and gray matter volume,” Neurobiology of Aging, 2014.
- Matthew B. Pontifex, Andrew C. Parks, Patrick C. O’Neil, Adriel R. Egner, Joseph T. Warning, Karin A. Pfeiffer, and Kimberly M. Fenn, “Poorer aerobic fitness relates to reduced integrity of multiple memory systems,” Cognitive, Affective, & Behavioral Neuroscience, 2014.
- Laura Chaddock-Heyman, Charles H. Hillman, Neal J. Cohen, and Arthur F. Kramer, “Iii. The Importance Of Physical Activity And Aerobic Fitness For Cognitive Control And Memory In Children,” Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 25–50, 2014.
- Matthew B. Pontifex, Keita Kamijo, Mark R. Scudder, Lauren B. Raine, Naiman A. Khan, Bonnie Hemrick, Ellen M. Evans, Darla M. Castelli, Kenneth A. Frank, and Charles H. Hillman, “V. The Differential Association Of Adiposity And Fitness With Cognitive Control In Preadolescent Children,” Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 72–92, 2014.
- Kirk I. Erickson, Lauren Oberlin, Swathi Gujral, Regina L. Leckie, Andrea M. Weinstein, Jennifer C. Hodzic, Asmaa Dabbagh, Patrick R. Whitmoyer, and Mariegold E. Wollam, “Exercise as a Way of Capitalizing on Neuroplasticity in Late Adulthood,” Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 8–14, 2014.