- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 101725, 7 pages
Nutritional and Functional Assessment of Hospitalized Elderly: Impact of Sociodemographic Variables
1Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Zagazig University, Zagazig 44519, Egypt
2Department of Neurology, Faculty of Medicine, Zagazig University, Zagazig 44519, Egypt
Received 30 May 2013; Revised 20 July 2013; Accepted 21 July 2013
Academic Editor: F. Richard Ferraro
Copyright © 2013 Emam M. M. Esmayel et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. A. Elmadbouly and A. M. AbdElhafez, “Assessment of nutritional status of hospitalized elderly patients in Makkah governorate,” Pakistan Journal of Nutrition, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 886–892, 2012.
- R. M. Kleinpell, K. Fletcher, and B. M. Jennings, “Reducing functional decline in hospitalized elderly,” in Patient Safety and Quality: An Evidence-Based Handbook ForNurses, R. G. Hughes, Ed., chapter 11, pp. 1–15, AHRQ Publication, 2008.
- M. B. Andre, N. Dumavibhat, N. R. Ngatu, M. Eitoku, R. Hirota, and N. Suganuma, “Mini nutritional assessment and functional capacity in community-dwelling elderly in Rural Luozi, Democratic Republic of Congo,” Geriatrics and Gerontology International, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 35–42, 2013.
- S. Fang, J. Long, R. Tan et al., “A multicenter assessment of malnutrition, nutritional risk, and application of nutritional support among hospitalized patients in Guangzhou hospitals,” Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 54–59, 2013.
- J. - Payne-James, G. Grimble, and D. Silk, “Artificial nutrition support,” in Clinical Practice, pp. 243–244, GreenwichMedical, London, UK, 2nd edition, 2001.
- S. Sinnett, R. Bengle, A. Brown, A. P. Glass, M. A. Johnson, and J. S. Lee, “The validity of nutrition screening initiative DETERMINE checklist responses in older georgians,” Journal of Nutrition for the Elderly, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 393–409, 2010.
- M. F. Kuczmarski, D. O. Weddle, and E. M. Jones, “Maintaining functionality in later years: a review of nutrition and physical activity interventions in postmenopausal women,” Journal of Nutrition for the Elderly, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 259–292, 2010.
- Y. Tanimoto, M. Watanabe, W. Sun et al., “Association of sarcopenia with functional decline in community-dwelling elderly subjects in Japan,” Geriatrics & Gerontology International, 2013.
- J. C. Millán-Calenti, M. Gandoy-Crego, M. Antelo-Martelo, M. López-Martinez, M. P. Riveiro-López, and J. M. Mayán-Santos, “Helping the family carers of Alzheimer's patients: from theory to practice. A preliminary study,” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 131–138, 2000.
- A. E. Stuck, J. M. Walthert, T. Nikolaus, C. J. Büla, C. Hohmann, and J. C. Beck, “Risk factors for functional status decline in community-living elderly people: a systematic literature review,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 445–469, 1999.
- D. T. Wade and C. Collin, “The Barthel ADL Index: a standard measure of physical disability?” International Disability Studies, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 64–67, 1988.
- A. Supervéa, D. Aranda, M. A. Márquez, A. Aguirre, E. Skaf, and J. Gutiérrez, “Predicting length of hospitalisation of elderly patients, using the Barthel Index,” Age and Ageing, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 339–342, 2008.
- L. E. -Matzen, D. B. Jepsen, J. Ryg, and T. Masud, “Functional level at admission is a predictor of survival in older patients admitted to an acute geriatric unit,” BMC Geriatr, vol. 25, pp. 12–32, 2012.
- J. Sponton, M. Minosso, F. Amendola, M. R. Alvarenga, and M. A. de Campos Oliveira, “Validation of the Barthel Index in elderly patients attended in outpatient clinics, in Brazil,” ACTA Paulista de Enfermagem, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 218–223, 2010.
- The Nutrition Screening Initiative, A Project of: American Academy of Family Physicians, The American Dietetic Association, The National Council on the Aging, Washington, DC, USA, 2007.
- A. M. Coulston, L. Craig, and A. C. Voss, “Meals-on-wheels applicants are a population at risk for poor nutritional status,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 96, no. 6, pp. 570–573, 1996.
- D. Rush, “Nutrition screening in old people: its place in a coherent practice of preventive health care,” Annual Review of Nutrition, vol. 17, pp. 101–125, 1997.
- C. Collin, D. T. Wade, S. Davies, and V. Horne, “The barthel ADL index: a reliability study,” International Disability Studies, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 61–63, 1988.
- L. Z. Rubenstein, “Geriatric assessment: an overview of its impacts,” Clinics in Geriatric Medicine, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 1–15, 1987.
- J. K. Luk, K. H. Or, and J. Woo, “Using the comprehensive geriatric assessment technique to assess elderly patients,” Hong Kong Medical Journal, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 93–98, 2000.
- J. M. Bauer, M. J. Kaiser, P. Anthony, Y. Guigoz, and C. C. Sieber, “The mini nutritional assessment-its history, today's practice, and future perspectives,” Nutrition in Clinical Practice, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 388–396, 2008.
- ADA Reports, “Position of the American Dietetic Association: liberalization of the diet prescription improves quality of life for older adults in long-term care,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 105, no. 12, pp. 1955–1965, 2005.
- B. M. Posner, A. M. Jette, K. W. Smith, and D. R. Miller, “Nutrition and health risks in the elderly: the nutrition screening initiative,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 83, no. 7, pp. 972–978, 1993.
- D. L. MacLellan and L. D. van Til, “Screening for nutritional risk among community-dwelling elderly on Prince Edward Island,” Canadian Journal of Public Health, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 342–346, 1998.
- S. Baweja, H. Agarwal, A. Mathur, et al., “Assessment of nutritional status and related risk factors in community dwelling elderly in Western Rajastha,” Journal of the Indian Academy of Geriatrics, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 5–13, 2008.
- K. B. Yap, M. Niti, and T. P. Ng, “Nutrition screening among community-dwelling older adults in Singapore,” Singapore Medical Journal, vol. 48, no. 10, pp. 911–916, 2007.
- J. Rambousková, M. Slavíková, A. Krsková, B. Procházka, and A. Dlouhý, “Nutritional Status Assessment of Institutionalized Elderly in Prague, Czech Republic,” Annals of Nutrition & Metabolism, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 199–204, 2013.
- O. Ibiyemi, O. Ketiku, and A. Olubode, “Socio-demographic and nutritional assessment of the elderly Yorubas in Nigeria,” Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 95–101, 2006.
- C. MacIntosh, J. E. Morley, and I. M. Chapman, “The anorexia of aging,” Nutrition, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 983–995, 2000.
- F. I. Mahoney and D. W. Barthel, “Functional evaluation: the barthel index,” Maryland state medical journal, vol. 14, pp. 61–65, 1965.
- C. V. Granger, L. S. Dewis, N. C. Peters, C. C. Sherwood, and J. E. Barrett, “Stroke rehabilitation: analysis of repeated barthel index measures,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 14–17, 1979.
- J. C. Hobart, D. L. Lamping, J. A. Freeman et al., “Evidence-based measurement: which disability scale for neurologic rehabilitation?” Neurology, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 639–644, 2001.
- I.-P. Hsueh, J.-H. Lin, J.-S. Jeng, and C.-L. Hsieh, “Comparison of the psychometric characteristics of the functional independence measure, 5 item Barthel index, and 10 item Barthel index in patients with stroke,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 188–190, 2002.
- J. J. van der Putten, J. C. Hobart, J. A. Freeman, and A. J. Thompson, “Measuring change in disability after inpatient rehabilitation: comparison of the responsiveness of the Barthel index and the functional independence measure,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 480–484, 1999.
- N. N. Hairi, A. Bulgiba, R. G. Cumming, V. Naganathan, and I. Mudla, “Prevalence and correlates of physical disability and functional limitation among community dwelling older people in rural Malaysia, a middle income country,” BMC Public Health, vol. 10, article 492, 2010.
- A. Koster, H. Bosma, M. I. Broese van Groenou et al., “Explanations of socioeconomic differences in changes in physical function in older adults: results from the longitudinal aging study Amsterdam,” BMC Public Health, vol. 6, article 244, 2006.
- L. Bergamini, M. Burgoni, G. Federzoni et al., “Multidimensional evaluation of home-dwelling elderly: the impact of medical and social factors on health status indices,” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 44, supplement, pp. 75–81, 2007.
- M. R. Oliveira, K. C. Fogaça, and V. A. Leandro-Merhi, “Nutritional status and functional capacity of hospitalized elderly,” Nutrition Journal, vol. 8, no. 1, article 54, 2009.
- E. Cereda, L. Valzolgher, and C. Pedrolli, “Mini nutritional assessment is a good predictor of functional status in institutionalised elderly at risk of malnutrition,” Clinical Nutrition, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 700–705, 2008.
- S. Chevalier, F. Saoud, K. Gray-Donald, and J. A. Morais, “The physical functional capacity of frail elderly persons undergoing ambulatory rehabilitation is related to their nutritional status,” Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 721–726, 2008.