- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 570407, 10 pages
Homeless Aging Veterans in Transition: A Life-Span Perspective
1University of West Florida, Pensacola, FL 32514, USA
2Research and Advanced Studies, University of West Florida, 11000 University Parkway, Building 78, Office 121, Pensacola, FL 32514, USA
Received 30 June 2013; Revised 19 September 2013; Accepted 23 September 2013
Academic Editor: Astrid E. Fletcher
Copyright © 2013 Carla J. Thompson and Nancy L. Bridier. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- National Coalition for Homeless Veterans, “Facts and Media: Statistics,” NCHV, Washington, DC, USA, 2012, http://nchv.org/index.php/news/media/background_and_statistics/#faq.
- L. Perl, “Veterans and homelessness,” Library of Congress, Washington, DC, USA, 2013, http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL34024.pdf.
- J. Khadduri and D. Culhane, 2010 Annual Homeless Assessment Report to Congress, Diane Publishing, Darby, Pa, USA, 2011.
- P. B. Baltes, “Theoretical propositions of life-span developmental psychology: on the dynamics between growth and decline,” Developmental Psychology, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 611–626, 1987.
- U.S. Department of Veterans’ Affairs, “Homeless Veterans: HUD-VASH eligibility criteria,” Department of Veterans Affairs: Washington, DC, USA, 2013, http://www.va.gov/homeless/hud-vash_eligibility.asp.
- U.S. Air Force, “Official issue first report on homeless veterans,” 2011, http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123242565.
- J. Kuhn and J. Nakashima, “The seventeenth annual progress report: Community Homelessness Assessment, Local Education and Networking Group (CHALENG) for Veterans fiscal year 2010,” 2011, http://www.va.gov/homeless/chaleng.asp.
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, “A supplemental report to the 2009 annual homeless assessment report to congress,” Office of Community Planning and Development, US Department of Housing and Urban Development and the US Department of Veteran Affairs: Washington, DC, USA, 2011, https://www.onecpd.info/resources/documents/2009AHARVeteransReport.pdf.
- U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness, “National survey of homeless veterans in 100,000 homes campaign communities,” United States Interagency Council on Homelessness, Washington, DC, USA, 2011, http://100khomes.org/sites/default/files/images/NationalSurveyofHomelessVeterans.pdf.
- National Coalition for the Homeless, “Why are people homeless?” National Coalition for the Homeless: Washington, DC, USA, 2009, http://www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/why.html.
- A. Fontana and R. Rosenheck, “The role of war-zone trauma and PTSD in the etiology of antisocial behavior,” Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, vol. 193, no. 3, pp. 203–209, 2005.
- P. Baltes, “Extending longevity: dignity gain—or dignity drain?” MaxPlanck Research, vol. 3, pp. 14–19, 2003.
- P. Baltes, Life-Span Development and the Brain, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2006.
- P. Baltes, U. Lindenberger, and U. Staudinger, “Life span theory in developmental psychology,” in Handbook of Child Psychology: Theoretical Models of Human Development, W. Damon and R. Lerner, Eds., pp. 569–595, John Wiley & Sons, 2006.
- R. Dixon and R. Lerner, “History and systems in development psychology,” in Developmental Psychology: An Advanced Textbook, M. H. Bornstein and M. E. Lamb, Eds., pp. 3–45, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ, USA, 1999.
- P. Baltes and M. Baltes, “Plasticity and variability in psychological aging: methodology and theoretical issues,” in Determining the Effects of Aging on the Central Nervous System, G. Guski, Ed., pp. 41–66, Schering, Berlin, Germany, 1980.
- V. Braun and V. Clarke, “Using thematic analysis in psychology,” Qualitative Research in Psychology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 77–101, 2006.
- N. Niv, K. Mueser, L. F. Smith, S. Glynn, S. Maruska, and N. Frousakis, “What is depression?” Department of Veterans Affairs Desert Pacific MIRECC, Long Beach, Calif, USA, 2011, http://www.mirecc.va.gov/visn22/depression_education.pdf.
- R. Rosenheck, E. Bassuk, and A. Salomon, “Special populations of homeless Americans,” in Proceedings of the National Symposium on Homelessness: Practical Lessons, US Department of Housing and Urban Development, the US Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC, USA, 1999.
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, “Veterans Homelessness Prevention Demonstration Program (VHPD),” Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington, DC, USA, 2011, http://www.va.gov/HOMELESS/National Center_VHPD.asp.
- B. Litz, “A brief primer on the mental health impact of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq,” 2006, http://www.ptsd.ne.gov/pdfs/impact-of-the-wars-in-afghanistan-iraq.pdf.