- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 720246, 8 pages
Age-Related Increase in Electromyography Burst Activity in Males and Females
1Geriatric Medicine, Dalhousie University, 5955 Veterans’ Memorial Lane, Halifax, NS, Canada B3H 2E1
2Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada M5S 1A8
3Health and Exercise Sciences, University of British Columbia Okanagan, 3333 University Way, Kelowna, BC, Canada V1V 1V7
Received 16 June 2013; Accepted 10 July 2013
Academic Editor: Iris Reuter
Copyright © 2013 Olga Theou et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. S. Frank and A. E. Patla, “Balance and mobility challenges in older adults: implications for preserving community mobility,” The American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 157–163, 2003.
- O. Theou, J. M. Jakobi, A. A. Vandervoort, and G. R. Jones, “A comparison of physical activity (PA) assessment tools across levels of frailty,” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. e307–e314, 2012.
- B. H. Dalton, J. M. Jakobi, B. L. Allman, and C. L. Rice, “Differential age-related changes in motor unit properties between elbow flexors and extensors,” Acta Physiologica, vol. 200, no. 1, pp. 45–55, 2010.
- R. M. Enoka, E. A. Christou, S. K. Hunter et al., “Mechanisms that contribute to differences in motor performance between young and old adults,” Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2003.
- B. Harwood, D. L. Edwards, and J. M. Jakobi, “Age independent and position-dependent alterations in motor unit activity of the biceps brachii,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 27–38, 2010.
- A. Schmitz, A. Silder, B. Heiderscheit, J. Mahoney, and D. G. Thelen, “Differences in lower-extremity muscular activation during walking between healthy older and young adults,” Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1085–1091, 2009.
- S. Morrison and J. Sosnoff, “Age-related changes in the adaptability of neuromuscular output,” Journal of Motor Behavior, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 274–283, 2009.
- J. M. Jakobi, D. L. Edwards, and D. M. Connelly, “Utility of portable electromyography for quantifying muscle activity during daily use,” Gerontology, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 324–331, 2008.
- O. Theou, S. H. Bruce, K. Roland, G. R. Jones, and J. M. Jakobi, “Portable electromyography: application for understanding muscle function of daily life in older adults,” Gerontechnology, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 146–156, 2011.
- B. Harwood, D. L. Edwards, and J. M. Jakobi, “Age- and sex-related differences for electromyography gaps during daily activity and a discrete task,” Gait and Posture, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 6–12, 2011.
- B. Harwood, D. L. Edwards, and J. M. Jakobi, “Age- and sex-related differences in muscle activation for a discrete functional task,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 677–686, 2008.
- J. G. Ryall, J. D. Schertzer, and G. S. Lynch, “Cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying age-related skeletal muscle wasting and weakness,” Biogerontology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 213–228, 2008.
- A. A. Vandervoort, “Aging of the human neuromuscular system,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 17–25, 2002.
- W. R. Frontera, V. A. Hughes, R. A. Fielding, M. A. Fiatarone, W. J. Evans, and R. Roubenoff, “Aging of skeletal muscle: a 12-yr longitudinal study,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 1321–1326, 2000.
- V. A. Hughes, W. R. Frontera, M. Wood et al., “Longitudinal muscle strength changes in older adults: influence of muscle mass, physical activity, and health,” Journals of Gerontology, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. B209–B217, 2001.
- D. G. Candow and P. D. Chilibeck, “Differences in size, strength, and power of upper and lower body muscle groups in young and older men,” Journals of Gerontology, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 148–156, 2005.
- J. K. Petrella, J.-S. Kim, S. C. Tuggle, S. R. Hall, and M. M. Bamman, “Age differences in knee extension power, contractile velocity, and fatigability,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 211–220, 2005.
- N. A. Lynch, E. J. Metter, R. S. Lindle et al., “Muscle quality. I. Age-associated differences between arm and leg muscle groups,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 188–194, 1999.
- S. Trappe, P. Gallagher, M. Harber, J. Carrithers, J. Fluckey, and T. Trappe, “Single muscle fibre contractile properties in young and old men and women,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 552, no. 1, pp. 47–58, 2003.
- D. S. Kern, J. G. Semmler, and R. M. Enoka, “Long-term activity in upper- and lower-limb muscles of humans,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 2224–2232, 2001.
- J. G. Semmler, D. V. Kutzscher, and R. M. Enoka, “Limb immobilization alters muscle activation patterns during a fatiguing isometric contraction,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 1381–1392, 2000.
- R. E. Brown, D. L. Edwards, and J. M. Jakobi, “Sex differences in force steadiness in three positions of the forearm,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 110, no. 6, pp. 1251–1257, 2010.
- L. Dipietro, C. J. Caspersen, A. M. Ostfeld, and E. R. Nadel, “A survey for assessing physical activity among older adults,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 628–642, 1993.
- O. Theou, G. R. Jones, A. A. Vandervoort, and J. M. Jakobi, “Daily muscle activity and quiescence in non-frail, pre-frail, and frail older women,” Experimental Gerontology, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 909–917, 2010.
- O. Theou, Z. Soon, S. Filek et al., “Changing the sheets: a new system to reduce strain during patient repositioning,” Nursing Research, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 302–308, 2011.
- H. J. Hermens, G. Rau, C. Disselhorst-Klug, and B. Freriks, Surface ElectroMyoGraphy: Application Areas and Parameters, proceedings of the third general SENIAM workshop, Roessingh Research and Development, Aachen, Germany, 1998.
- W. R. Frontera, V. A. Hughes, K. J. Lutz, and W. J. Evans, “A cross-sectional study of muscle strength and mass in 45- to 78-yr-old men and women,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 644–650, 1991.
- T. J. Doherty, D. W. Stashuk, and W. F. Brown, “Determinants of mean motor unit size: impact on estimates of motor unit number,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 1326–1331, 1993.
- H. Kinoshita, P. R. Francis, T. Murase, S. Kawai, and T. Ogawa, “The mechanical properties of the heel pad in elderly adults,” European Journal of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology, vol. 73, no. 5, pp. 404–409, 1996.
- B. Mierzejewska-Krzyzowska, H. Drzymala-Celichowska, and J. Celichowski, “Gender differences in the morphometric properties of muscle fibres and the innervation ratio of motor units in rat medial gastrocnemius muscle,” Journal of Veterinary Medicine, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 249–255, 2011.
- D. G. Bell and I. Jacobs, “Electro-mechanical response times and rate of force development in males and females,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 31–36, 1986.
- H. Valkeinen, J. Ylinen, E. Mälkiä, M. Alen, and K. Häkkinen, “Maximal force, force/time and activation/coactivation characteristics of the neck muscles in extension and flexion in healthy men and women at different ages,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 247–254, 2002.
- J. C. Ives, W. P. Kroll, and L. L. Bultman, “Rapid movement kinematic and electromyographic control characteristics in males and females,” Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 274–283, 1993.
- R. M. Andela, A. Dijkstra, J. P. J. Slaets, and R. Sanderman, “Prevalence of frailty on clinical wards: description and implications,” International Journal of Nursing Practice, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 14–19, 2010.
- R. E. Hubbard and K. Rockwood, “Frailty in older women,” Maturitas, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 203–207, 2011.