- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 861893, 10 pages
Physical Activity Improves Verbal and Spatial Memory in Older Adults with Probable Mild Cognitive Impairment: A 6-Month Randomized Controlled Trial
1Department of Psychology, University of British Columbia (UBC), 2136 West Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z4
2Department of Physical Therapy, University of British Columbia (UBC), 212-2177 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z3
3Alzheimer Clinic, G37 Purdy Pavilion, UBC Hospital, University of British Columbia (UBC), 2211 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 2B5
4Brain Research Centre, University of British Columbia (UBC), 2211 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 2B5
5Department of Psychology, The University of Iowa, E11 Seashore Hall, Iowa City, IA 52242-1409, USA
Received 1 November 2012; Accepted 18 January 2013
Academic Editor: Louis Bherer
Copyright © 2013 Lindsay S. Nagamatsu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [13 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Patrick J. Smith, Guy G. Potter, Molly M. McLaren, and James A. Blumenthal, “Impact of Aerobic Exercise on Neurobehavioral Outcomes,” Mental Health and Physical Activity, 2013.
- Ondine van de Rest, Nikita L. van der Zwaluw, Michael Tieland, Jos J. Adam, Gert Jan Hiddink, Luc J.C. van Loon, and Lisette C.P.G.M. de Groot, “Effect of resistance-type exercise training with or without protein supplementation on cognitive functioning in frail and pre-frail elderly: Secondary analysis of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, 2013.
- Elizabeth Coulthard, “Memory Consolidation - Mechanisms And Opportunities For Enhancement,” Translational Neuroscience, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 448–457, 2013.
- Harris A. Eyre, and Bernhard T. Baune, “Assessing for unique immunomodulatory and neuroplastic profiles of physical activity subtypes: a focus on psychiatric disorders,” Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 2013.
- Jeffrey Nadel, Tianjian Huang, Zengyan Xia, Thomas Burlin, and Alan Zametkin, “Voluntary exercise regionally augments rates of cerebral protein synthesis,” Brain Research, vol. 1537, pp. 125–131, 2013.
- Erlend A. Nagelhus, Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam, Linda H. Bergersen, Jan G. Bjaalie, Jens Eriksson, Vidar Gundersen, Trygve B. Leergaard, J. Preben Morth, Jon Storm-Mathisen, Reidun Torp, Kristine B. Walhovd, and Tone Tønjum, “The glia doctrine: Addressing the role of glial cells in healthy brain ageing,” Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, 2013.
- Louis Bherer, Kirk I. Erickson, and Teresa Liu-Ambrose, “A Review of the Effects of Physical Activity and Exercise on Cognitive and Brain Functions in Older Adults,” Journal of Aging Research, vol. 2013, pp. 1–8, 2013.
- Sayantani Ghosh, David Libon, and Carol Lippa, “Mild Cognitive Impairment: A Brief Review and Suggested Clinical Algorithm,” American Journal of Alzheimers Disease and Other Dementias, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 293–302, 2014.
- Natalie Sachs-Ericsson, and Dan G. Blazer, “The new DSM-5 diagnosis of mild neurocognitive disorder and its relation to research in mild cognitive impairment,” Aging & Mental Health, pp. 1–11, 2014.
- Daisuke Sato, Chihiro Seko, Tatsuya Hashitomi, Yasuo Sengoku, and Takeo Nomura, “Differential effects of water-based exercise on the cognitive function in independent elderly adults,” Aging Clinical and Experimental Research, 2014.
- L. S. Nagamatsu, L. Flicker, A. F. Kramer, M. W. Voss, K. I. Erickson, C. L. Hsu, and T. Liu-Ambrose, “Exercise is medicine, for the body and the brain,” British Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 943–944, 2014.
- Kirk I. Erickson, Lauren Oberlin, Swathi Gujral, Regina L. Leckie, Andrea M. Weinstein, Jennifer C. Hodzic, Asmaa Dabbagh, Patrick R. Whitmoyer, and Mariegold E. Wollam, “Exercise as a Way of Capitalizing on Neuroplasticity in Late Adulthood,” Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 8–14, 2014.
- Marianna Alesi, Giuseppe Battaglia, Michele Roccella, Davide Testa, Antonio Palma, and Annamaria Pepi, “improvement of gross motor and cognitive abilities by an exercise training program: three case reports,” Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment, vol. 10, pp. 479–485, 2014.