- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 920324, 10 pages
Physical Mistreatment in Persons with Alzheimer’s Disease
1The Harrell Center for The Study of Family Violence, Department of Community and Family Health, College of Public Health, University of South Florida, 13301 Bruce B. Downs Boulevard, MDC 56, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
2School of Health and Human Services, Southern Connecticut State University, 501 Crescent Street, Lang House, New Haven, CT 06515, USA
3Department of Community and Family Health, College of Public Health, University of South Florida, 13301 Bruce B. Downs Boulevard, MDC 56, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
4Department of Global Health, College of Public Health, University of South Florida, 13301 Bruce B. Downs Boulevard, MDC 56, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Received 13 September 2012; Accepted 28 October 2012
Academic Editor: Karl Rosengren
Copyright © 2013 Carla VandeWeerd et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. B. Amstadter, J. M. McCauley, M. A. Hernandez, and R. Acierno, “Do incident and perpetrator characteristics of elder mistreatment differ by gender of the victim? Results from the national elder mistreatment study,” Journal of Elder Abuse and Neglect, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 43–57, 2011.
- M. Block and J. Sinnott, Eds., The Battered Elderly Syndrome: An Exploratory Study, University of Maryland, Center on Aging, College Park, Md, USA, 1979.
- A. C. Coyne, W. E. Reichman, and L. J. Berbig, “The relationship between dementia and elder abuse,” The American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 150, no. 4, pp. 643–646, 1993.
- M. Lithwick, “The mistreatment of older adults: perpetrator-victim relationships and interventions,” Journal of Elder Abuse and Neglect, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 95–112, 2000.
- M. C. Sengstock and M. Hwalek, “Sources of information used in measures for the identification of elder abuse,” in Proceedings the Annual Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America, November 1983.
- T. Tatara, “Understanding the nature and scope of domestic elder abuse with the use of state aggregate data: summaries of key findings of a national survey of state APS and aging agencies,” Journal of Elder Abuse and Neglect, vol. 5, pp. 35–57, 1993.
- R. Acierno, M. A. Hernandez, A. B. Amstadter et al., “Prevalence and correlates of emotional, physical, sexual, and financial abuse and potential neglect in the United States: the national elder mistreatment study,” The American Journal of Public Health, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 292–297, 2010.
- C. A. Field and R. Caetano, “Longitudinal model predicting partner violence among white, black, and Hispanic couples in the United States,” Alcohol and Clinical Experimental Research, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1451–1458, 2003.
- K. Pillemer and D. Finkelhor, “The prevalence of elder abuse: a random sample survey,” The Gerontologist, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 51–57, 1988.
- M. S. Lachs and K. Pillemer, “Elder abuse,” The Lancet, vol. 364, no. 9441, pp. 1263–1272, 2004.
- L. B. Schiamberg and D. Gans, “Elder abuse by adult children: an applied, ecological framework for understanding contextual risk factors and the intergenerational character of quality of life,” International Journal of Aging and Human Development, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 329–359, 2000.
- R. S. Wolf and K. A. Pillemer, “The older battered woman: wives and mothers compared,” Journal of Mental Health and Aging, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 325–336, 1997.
- T. T. Fulmer, “The debate over dependency as a relavant predisposing factor in elder abuse and neglect with commentary,” Journal of Eler Abuse and Neglect, vol. 2, no. 1-2, pp. 51–72, 1990.
- C. J. Hildreth, A. E. Burke, and R. M. Glass, “Elder abuse,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 302, no. 5, pp. 1–2, 2009.
- J. Kosberg and J. Garcia, “Common and unique themes on elder abuse from a world wide perspective,” Journal of Elder Abuse and Neglect, vol. 6, no. 3-4, pp. 183–197, 1995.
- A. Mowlam, R. Tennant, J. Dixon, and C. McCreadie, “UK study of abuse and neglect of older people: qualitative findings,” Tech. Rep., National Centre for Social Research, Comic Relief and Department of Health, http://www.jipeast.org/attachments/527_ComicRelief-ElderAbuse-Full-Stage21%20UK%20study%20of%20abuse%20%20neglect.pdf.
- B. M. Barer, “The relationship between homebound older people and their home care worker,” The Journal of Gerontological Social Work, vol. 19, pp. 129–147, 1992.
- M. Bendik, “Reaching the breaking point: dangers of the mistreatment in elder caregiving situations,” Journal of Elder Abuse and Neglect, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 39–59, 1992.
- R. Harrell, C. H. Toronjo, J. Mclaughlin, N. Valory, D. J. Hyman, and C. Bitondo Dyer, “How geriatricians identify elder abuse and neglect,” The American Journal of the Medical Sciences, vol. 323, no. 1, pp. 34–38, 2002.
- S. Vida, R. C. Monks, and P. Des Rosiers, “Prevalence and correlates of elder abuse and neglect in a geriatric psychiatry service,” Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 459–468, 2002.
- S. R. Beach, R. Schulz, G. M. Williamson, L. S. Miller, M. E. Weiner, and C. E. Lance, “Risk factors for potentially harmful informal caregiver behavior,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 255–261, 2005.
- C. Cooper, A. Selwood, and G. Livingston, “The prevalence of elder abuse and neglect: a systematic review,” Age and Ageing, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 151–160, 2008.
- G. J. Paveza, D. Cohen, C. Eisdorfer et al., “Severe family violence and Alzheimer's disease: prevalence and risk factors,” The Gerontologist, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 493–497, 1992.
- R. J. Eastley, R. Macpherson, H. Richards, and I. H. Main, “Assaults on professional carers of elderly people,” British Medical Journal, vol. 307, no. 6908, article 845, 1993.
- L. R. Phillips, E. Torres de Ardon, and G. S. Briones, “Abuse of female caregivers by care recipients: another form of elder abuse,” Journal of Elder Abuse and Neglect, vol. 12, no. 3-4, pp. 123–143, 2001.
- M. Hamel, D. P. Gold, D. Andres et al., “Predictors and consequences of aggressive behavior by community-based dementia patients,” The Gerontologist, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 206–211, 1990.
- M. B. Ryden, “Aggressive behavior in persons with dementia who live in the community,” Alzheimer Disease and Associated Disorders, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 342–355, 1988.
- G. M. Williamson and D. R. Shaffer, “Relationship quality and potentially harmful behaviors by spousal caregivers: how we were then, how we are now,” Psychology and Aging, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 217–226, 2001.
- G. Gioglio and P. Blakemore, Elder Abuse in New Jersey: The Knowledge and Experience of Abuse among Older New Jerseyans, New Jersey Division on Aging, Trenton, NJ, USA, 1982.
- M. Reis and D. Nahmiash, “Abuse of seniors: personality, stress and other indicators,” Journal of Mental Health and Aging, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 337–356, 1997.
- N. G. Choi and J. Mayer, “Elder abuse, neglect, and exploitation: risk factors and prevention strategies,” Journal of Gerontological Social Work, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 5–25, 2000.
- A. Flaherty and P. Raia, “Beyond risk protection and Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Elder Abuse and Neglect, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 75–93, 1994.
- T. Fulmer, L. Guadagno, C. B. Dyer, and M. T. Connolly, “Progress in elder abuse screening and assessment instruments,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 297–304, 2004.
- D. Gallagher, A. Wrabetz, S. Lovett, S. Del Maestro, and J. Rose, “Depression and other negative affects in family caregivers,” in Alzheimer's Disease Treatment and Family Stress: Directions for Research, Light and Lebowitz, Eds., pp. 218–244, Hemisphere, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- W. E. Haley, E. G. Levine, S. Brown, and g. Hughes, “Psychological, social, and health consequences of caring for a relative with senile dementia,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 405–411, 1987.
- G. J. Anetzberger, The Etiology of Elder Abuse by Adult Offspring, Springfield Publishing, Chicago, Ill, USA, 1987.
- T. Fulmer, G. Paveza, C. VandeWeerd et al., “Dyadic vulnerability and risk profiling for elder neglect,” The Gerontologist, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 525–534, 2005.
- E. Bristowe and J. Collins, “Family mediated abuse of non-institutionalized frail elderly men and women living in British Colombia,” Journal of Elder Abuse and Neglect, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 45–64, 1989.
- M. Cohen, S. Halevi-Levin, R. Gagin, and G. Friedman, “Development of a screening tool for identifying elderly people at risk of abuse by their caregivers,” Journal of Aging and Health, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 660–685, 2005.
- G. Anetzberger, J. Korbin, and C. Austin, “Alcoholism and elder abuse,” Journal of Interpersonal Violence, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 184–193, 1994.
- A. M. Campbell Reay and K. D. Browne, “Risk factor characteristics in carers who physically abuse or neglect their elderly dependants,” Aging and Mental Health, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 56–62, 2001.
- A. Coyne, “The relationship between cognitive impairment and elder abuse,” in Findings of Five Elder Abuse Studies, T. Tatara, Ed., pp. 23–50, National Agency Resource Center on Elder Abuse, Washington, DC, USA, 1991.
- W. Haley and J. Coleton, “Alzheimer's disease: special issues in elder abuse and neglect,” Journal of Elder Abuse and Neglect, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 71–85, 1992.
- D. Jamuna, “Issues of elder care and elder abuse in the Indian context,” Journal of Aging and Social Policy, vol. 15, no. 2-3, pp. 125–142, 2003.
- L. S. Miller, M. S. Lewis, G. M. Williamson et al., “Caregiver cognitive status and potentially harmful caregiver behavior,” Aging and Mental Health, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 125–133, 2006.
- L. R. Shugarman, B. E. Fries, R. S. Wolf, and J. N. Morris, “Identifying older people at risk of abuse during routine screening practices,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 24–31, 2003.
- E. R. Welfel, P. R. Danzinger, and S. Santoro, “Mandated reporting of abuse/maltreatment of older adults: a primer for counselors,” Journal of Counseling and Development, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 284–292, 2000.
- National Research Council (US), “Panel to review risk and prevalence of elder abuse and neglect,” in Elder Mistreatment: Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation in an Aging America, J. Richard Bonnie and B. Robert Wallace, Eds., National Academies Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2003.
- National Center on Elder Abuse, “Fact Sheet: elder abuse prevalence and incidence,” http://www.ncea.aoa.gov/ncearoot/Main_Site/index.aspx, 2005.
- H. C. Comijs, C. Jonker, W. van Tilburg, and J. H. Smit, “Hostility and coping capacity as risk factors of elder mistreatment,” Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 48–52, 1999.
- K. Pillemer and J. J. Suitor, “Violence and violent feelings: what causes them among family caregivers?” Journals of Gerontology, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. S165–S172, 1992.
- E. Pittaway and A. Westhues, “The prevalence of elder abuse and neglect of older adults who access health and social services in London, Ontario, Canada,” Journal of Elder Abuse and Neglect, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 77–93, 1993.
- G. J. Anetzberger, B. R. Palmisano, M. Sanders et al., “A model intervention for elder abuse and dementia,” The Gerontologist, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 492–497, 2000.
- A. Wiglesworth, L. Mosqueda, R. Mulnard, S. Liao, L. Gibbs, and W. Fitzgerald, “Screening for abuse and neglect of people with dementia,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 493–500, 2010.
- C. VandeWeerd, G. J. Paveza, and T. Fulmer, “Abuse and neglect in older adults with Alzheimer's disease,” Nursing Clinics of North America, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 43–55, 2006.
- S. H. Zarit, P. A. Todd, and J. M. Zarit, “Subjective burden of husbands and wives as caregivers: a longitudinal study,” The Gerontologist, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 260–266, 1986.
- B. M. Barer, “The secret shame of the very old: ‘I've never told this to anyone else’,” Journal of Mental Health and Aging, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 365–375, 1997.
- L. M. Gibbs and L. Mosqueda, “Confronting elder mistreatment in long-term care,” Annals of Long-Term Care, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 30–36, 2004.
- Metge, In and Out of Touch: Whakamaa in Cross Cultural Perspective, Victoria University Press, Wellington, New Zealand, 1986.
- M. Lewis, Shame: The Exposed Self, The Free Press, New York, NY, USA, 1992.
- H. C. Comijs, A. M. Pot, J. H. Smit, L. M. Bouter, and C. Jonker, “Elder abuse in the community: prevalence and consequences,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 885–888, 1998.
- E. Podnieks, “Social inclusion: an interplay of the determinants of health—new insights into elder abuse,” Journal of Gerontological Social Work, vol. 46, no. 3-4, pp. 57–79, 2006.
- B. Saverman, Formal Carers in Healthcare and the Social Services Witnessing the Abuse of Elderly in Their Homes, Umea University, Umea, Sweden, 1994.
- J. M. Heath, F. A. Kobylarz, M. Brown, and S. Castaño, “Interventions from home-based geriatric assessments of adult protective service clients suffering elder mistreatment,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 1538–1542, 2005.
- E. Light and B. Lebowitz, Alzheimer’s Disease Treatment and Family Stress: Direction for Research, National Institute of Mental Health, Rockville, Md, USA, 1994.
- M. W. Baker, “Elder mistreatment: risk, vulnerability, and early mortality,” Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 313–321, 2007.
- C. A. Helfrich, M. J. Lafata, S. L. MacDonald, A. Aviles, and L. Collins, “Domestic abuse across the lifespan: definitions, identification and risk factors for occupational therapists,” Occupational Therapy in Mental Health, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 5–34, 2001.
- M. S. Lachs, C. S. Williams, S. O'Brien, K. A. Pillemer, and M. E. Charlson, “The mortality of elder mistreatment,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 280, no. 5, pp. 428–432, 1998.
- K. A. Collins and S. E. Presnell, “Elder neglect and the pathophysiology of aging,” The American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 157–162, 2007.
- L. K. George and L. P. Gwyther, “Caregiver well-being: a multidimensional examination of family caregivers of demented adults,” The Gerontologist, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 253–259, 1986.
- M. H. Rose and M. Killien, “Risk and vulnerability: a case for differentiation,” Advances in nursing science, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 60–73, 1983.
- T. Fulmer and G. Paveza, “Neglect in the elderly patient,” The Nursing Clinics of North America, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 457–466, 1998.
- C. VandeWeerd and G. J. Paveza, “Verbal mistreatment in older adults: a look at persons with Alzheimer's disease and their caregivers in the State of Florida,” Journal of Elder Abuse and Neglect, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 11–30, 2006.
- M. A. Straus, R. J. Gelles, and S. K. Steinmetz, Behind Closed Doors: Violence in the American Family, Anchor Books, New York, NY, USA, 1980.
- T. S. Langer, “A twenty-two item screening score of psychiatric symptoms indicating impairment,” Journal of Health and Human Behavior, vol. 12, pp. 269–276, 1973.
- G. S. Alexopoulos, R. C. Abrams, R. C. Young, and C. A. Shamoian, “Cornell scale for depression in dementia,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 271–284, 1988.
- M. F. Folstein, S. E. Folstein, and P. R. McHugh, “‘Mini mental state’: a practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 189–198, 1975.
- G. J. Paveza, D. Cohen, C. J. Blaser, and M. Hagopian, “A brief form of the mini-mental state examination for use in community settings,” Behavior, Health and Aging, vol. 1, pp. 133–139, 1990.
- J. M. Kinney and M. A. Stephens, “Caregiving hassles scale: assessing the daily hassles of caring for a family member with dementia,” The Gerontologist, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 328–332, 1989.
- J. S. Norbeck, A. M. Lindsey, and V. L. Carrieri, “Further development of the norbeck social support questionnaire: normative data and validity testing,” Nursing Research, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 4–9, 1983.
- L. S. Radloff and L. Teri, “Use of the center for epidemiological studies-depression scale with older adults,” Clinical Gerontologist, vol. 5, no. 1-2, pp. 119–136, 1986.
- M. Rosenberg, Society and the Adolescent Self-Image, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA, 1965.
- M. L. Selzer, “The Michigan alcoholism screening test: the quest for a new diagnostic instrument,” The American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 127, no. 12, pp. 1653–1658, 1971.
- H. A. Kiyak, “Coping with Alzheimer's disease: patient and family responses,” in Proceedings of the Gerontological Society of America Symposium: Aging and Adaptation in Chronic Illnesses, Chicago, Ill, USA, November 1986.
- T. T. Fulmer, “Elder mistreatment,” Annual Review of Nursing Research, vol. 12, pp. 51–64, 1992.