- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 670890, 6 pages
Effect of Caloric Restriction on Hepatic Sinusoidal System and Stellate Cells in Mice
1School of Human Kinetics, Laurentian University, 935 Ramsey Lake Road, Sudbury, ON, Canada P3E 2C6
2Biology Department, University of North Carolina, 9201 University City Bulevard, Charlotte, NC 28223, USA
Received 1 October 2013; Revised 9 December 2013; Accepted 19 December 2013; Published 4 February 2014
Academic Editor: Barbara Shukitt-Hale
Copyright © 2014 Jian Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Durnas, C. M. Loi, and B. J. Cusack, “Hepatic drug metabolism and aging,” Clinical Pharmacokinetics, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 359–389, 1990.
- D. E. Hinton and W. L. Williams, “Hepatic fibrosis associated with aging in four stocks of mice,” The Journal of Gerontology, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 205–211, 1968.
- H. A. Wynne, L. H. Cope, E. Mutch, M. D. Rawlins, K. W. Woodhouse, and O. F. W. James, “The effect of age upon liver volume and apparent liver blood flow in healthy men,” Hepatology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 297–301, 1989.
- D. G. Le Couteur, V. C. Cogger, A. M. A. Markus et al., “Pseudocapillarization and associated energy limitation in the aged rat liver,” Hepatology, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 537–543, 2001.
- D. G. Le Couteur, A. Warren, V. C. Cogger et al., “Old age and the hepatic sinusoid,” The Anatomical Record, vol. 291, no. 6, pp. 672–683, 2008.
- S. N. Hilmer, V. C. Cogger, R. Fraser, A. J. McLean, D. Sullivan, and D. G. le Couteur, “Age-related changes in the hepatic sinusoidal endothelium impede lipoprotein transfer in the rat,” Hepatology, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1349–1354, 2005.
- M. Mahrouf-Yorgov, A. C. de L'Hortet, C. Cosson et al., “Increased susceptibility to liver fibrosis with age is correlated with an altered inflammatory response,” Rejuvenation Research, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 353–363, 2011.
- T. Poynard, P. Bedossa, and P. Opolon, “Natural history of liver fibrosis progression in patients with chronic hepatitis C,” The Lancet, vol. 349, no. 9055, pp. 825–832, 1997.
- T. Poynard, P. Mathurin, C. L. Lai et al., “A comparison of fibrosis progression in chronic liver diseases,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 257–265, 2003.
- R. K. Moreira, “Hepatic stellate cells and liver fibrosis,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 131, no. 11, pp. 1728–1734, 2007.
- A. Warren, V. C. Cogger, R. Fraser, L. D. Deleve, R. S. McCuskey, and D. G. le Couteur, “The effects of old age on hepatic stellate cells,” Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research, vol. 2011, Article ID 439835, 7 pages, 2011.
- B. Vollmar, S. Pradarutti, S. Richter, and M. D. Menger, “In vivo quantification of ageing changes in the rat liver from early juvenile to senescent life,” Liver, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 330–341, 2002.
- S. X. Cao, J. M. Dhahbi, P. L. Mote, and S. R. Spindler, “Genomic profiling of short- and long-term caloric restriction effects in the liver of aging mice,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 98, no. 19, pp. 10630–10635, 2001.
- M. Suematsu, M. Oda, H. Suzuki et al., “Intravital and electron microscopic observation of Ito cells in rat hepatic microcirculation,” Microvascular Research, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 28–42, 1993.
- H. A. Jamieson, S. N. Hilmer, V. C. Cogger et al., “Caloric restriction reduces age-related pseudocapillarization of the hepatic sinusoid,” Experimental Gerontology, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 374–378, 2007.
- A. Warren, P. Bertolino, V. C. Cogger, A. J. McLean, R. Fraser, and D. G. le Couteur, “Hepatic pseudocapillarization in aged mice,” Experimental Gerontology, vol. 40, no. 10, pp. 807–812, 2005.
- Y. Ito, K. K. Sørensen, N. W. Bethea et al., “Age-related changes in the hepatic microcirculation in mice,” Experimental Gerontology, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 789–797, 2007.
- A. J. McLean, V. C. Cogger, G. C. Chong et al., “Age-related pseudocapillarization of the human liver,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 200, no. 1, pp. 112–117, 2003.
- K. M. Mak, E. Chu, K. H. V. Lau, and A. J. Kwong, “Liver fibrosis in elderly cadavers: localization of collagen types I, III, and IV, α-smooth muscle actin, and elastic fibers,” The Anatomical Record, vol. 295, pp. 1159–1167, 2012.
- S. L. Friedman, F. J. Roll, J. Boyles, and D. M. Bissell, “Hepatic lipocytes: the principal collagen-producing cells of normal rat liver,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 82, no. 24, pp. 8681–8685, 1985.
- D. Horrillo, N. Gallardo, N. Lauzurica et al., “Development of liver fibrosis during aging: effects of caloric restriction,” Journal of Biological Regulators and Homeostatic Agents, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 377–388, 2013.
- M. K. Connolly, A. S. Bedrosian, A. Malhotra et al., “In hepatic fibrosis, liver sinusoidal endothelial cells acquire enhanced immunogenicity,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 185, no. 4, pp. 2200–2208, 2010.
- J. J. Maher and R. F. McGuire, “Extracellular matrix gene expression increases preferentially in rat lipocytes and sinusoidal endothelial cells during hepatic fibrosis in vivo,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 1641–1648, 1990.