- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 873043, 5 pages
Following Up on Clinical Recommendations in Transitions from Hospital to Nursing Home
1Boston University Geriatric Services, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston Medical Center, 88 East Newton Street, Robinson 2, Boston, MA 02118, USA
2Massachusetts Veterans Epidemiology Research and Information Center (MAVERIC), New England VA Healthcare System, 150 South Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02130, USA
Received 20 September 2013; Revised 6 December 2013; Accepted 24 December 2013; Published 9 February 2014
Academic Editor: Marja J. Aartsen
Copyright © 2014 Lisa B. Caruso et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. A. Coleman and C. Boult, “Improving the quality of transitional care for persons with complex care needs,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 556–557, 2003.
- C. Moore, J. Wisnivesky, S. Williams, and T. McGinn, “Medical errors related to discontinuity of care from an inpatient to an outpatient setting,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 646–651, 2003.
- C. Moore, T. McGinn, and E. Halm, “Tying up loose ends: discharging patients with unresolved medical issues,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 167, no. 12, pp. 1305–1311, 2007.
- M. Weiner, A. J. Perkins, and C. M. Callahan, “Errors in completion of referrals among older urban adults in ambulatory care,” Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 76–81, 2010.
- C. L. Roy, E. C. Poon, A. S. Karson et al., “Patient safety concerns arising from test results that return after hospital discharge,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 143, no. 2, pp. 121–128, 2005.
- A. J. Forster, H. J. Murff, J. F. Peterson, T. K. Gandhi, and D. W. Bates, “The incidence and severity of adverse events affecting patients after discharge from the hospital,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 138, no. 3, pp. 161–167, 2003.
- AMDA, “Transitions of Care in the Long-Term Care Continuum,” 2010, http://www.amda.com/tools/clinical/TOCCPG/index.html.
- J. E. Morley, “Transitions,” Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 607–611, 2010.
- V. K. Lee, C. J. Westley, and K. Fletcher, “If at first you don't succeed: efforts to improve collaboration between nursing homes and a health system,” Topics in Advanced Practice Nursing, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 1–8, 2004.
- M. C. Were, X. Li, J. Kesterson et al., “Adequacy of hospital discharge summaries in documenting tests with pending results and outpatient follow-up providers,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 1002–1006, 2009.
- E. Gandara, T. Moniz, J. Ungar et al., “Communication and information deficits in patients discharged to rehabilitation facilities: an evaluation of five acute care hospitals,” Journal of Hospital Medicine, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. E28–E33, 2009.
- P. Wendling, “Readmission affects 1 in 3 elderly patients,” Caring for the Ages, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 4–5, 2009.
- S. E. Walz, M. Smith, E. Cox, J. Sattin, and A. J. H. Kind, “Pending laboratory tests and the hospital discharge summary in patients discharged to sub-acute care,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 393–398, 2011.
- I. I. Interact, 2011, http://interact2.net/index.aspx.
- J. G. Ouslander, G. Lamb, R. Tappen et al., “Interventions to reduce hospitalizations from nursing homes: evaluation of the INTERACT II collaborative quality improvement project,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 745–753, 2011.
- K. S. Boockvar and O. R. Burack, “Organizational relationships between nursing homes and hospitals and quality of care during hospital-nursing home patient transfers,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 1078–1084, 2007.