- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Botany
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 658240, 6 pages
A Simple, Cost-Effective Method for Leaf Area Estimation
Ecosystems Analysis Laboratory, Department of Botany, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi 221005, India
Received 13 July 2011; Revised 25 August 2011; Accepted 1 September 2011
Academic Editor: Kang Chong
Copyright © 2011 S. K. Pandey and Hema Singh. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. F. Blanco and M. V. Folegatti, “Estimation of leaf area for greenhouse cucumber by linear measurements under salinity and grafting,” Agricultural Science, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 305–309, 2005.
- Z. Sestak, J. Catsky, and P. G. Jarvis, Plant Photosynthesis Production, Mannual of Methods, Junk Publishers, The Hague, The Netherlands, 1971.
- L. L. Tieszen, “Biomass accumulation and primary production,” in Techniques in Bio-Productivity & Photosynthesis, J. Coombs and D. O. Hall, Eds., pp. 16–19, Pergamon Press, Oxford, UK, 1982.
- J. K. A. Bleasdale, Plant Physiology in Relation to Horticulture, Macmillan Press, London, UK, 2nd edition, 1984.
- J. L. Harper, Population Biology of Plants, Academic Press, Oxford, UK, 1977.
- N. N. Mohsenin, Physical Properties of Plant and Animal Materials, Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, New York, NY, USA, 1986.
- R. E. Smart, “Photosynthesis by grapevine canopies,” Journal of Applied Ecology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 997–1006, 1974.
- L. E. Williams, “Growth of “Thompson Seedless” grapevines: I. Leaf area development and dry weight distribution,” Journal of American Society and Horticultural Science, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 325–330, 1987.
- J. K. Marshall, “Methods for leaf area measurement of large and small leaf samples,” Photosynthetica, vol. 2, pp. 41–47, 1968.
- U. Brodny, R. R. Nelson, and L. V. Gregory, “The residual and interactive expression of “defeated” wheat stem rust resistance genes,” Phytopathology, vol. 76, no. 5, pp. 546–549, 1986.
- C. Daughtry, “Direct measurements of canopy structure,” Remote Sensing Reviews, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 45–60, 1990.
- E. Nyakwende, C. J. Paull, and J. G. Atherton, “Non-destructive determination of leaf area in tomato plants using image processing,” Journal of Horticultural Science, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 255–262, 1997.
- C. Bignami and F. Rossini, “Image analysis estimation of leaf area index and plant size of young hazelnut plants,” Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 113–121, 1996.
- F. J. Montero, J. A. De Juan, A. Cuesta, and A. Brasa, “Nondestructive methods to estimate leaf area in Vitis vinifera L,” HortScience, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 696–698, 2000.
- L. Williams and T. E. Martinson III, “Nondestructive leaf area estimation of “Niagara” and “Dechaunac” grapevines,” Scientia Horticulturae, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 493–498, 2003.
- S. Uzun and H. Celik, “Leaf area prediction models for different horticultural plants,” Tropical Journal and Agricultural Forest, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 645–650, 1999.
- A. Ranjbar and P. Damme, “Estimation of leaf area by non-destructivemethods in three ranian pistachio species (Pistacia mutica subsp. Cabulica, Pistacia khinjuk subsp. blonda and Pistacia khinjuk subsp. Populifolia),” Mededelingen-Faculteit Landbouwkundige en Toegepaste BiologischeWtenschappen Universiteit Gent, Belgium, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 49–56, 1999.
- H. Demirsoy and L. Demirsoy, “A validated leaf area prediction model for some cherry cultivars in Turke,” Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 361–367, 2003.
- H. Demirsoy, L. Demirsoy, S. Uzun, and B. Ersoy, “Non-destructive leaf area estimation in peach,” European Journal of Horticultural Science, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 144–146, 2004.
- U. Serdar and H. Demirsoy, “Non-destructive leaf area estimation in chestnut,” Scientia Horticulturae, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 227–230, 2006.
- L. Manivel and R. J. Weaver, “Biometric correlations between leafarea and length measurements of “Grenache” grape leaves,” Hort Science, vol. 9, pp. 27–28, 1974.
- G. R. Sepulveda and W. M. Kliewer, “Estimation of leaf area of two grapevine cultivars (Vitis vinifera L.) using laminae linear measurements and fresh weight,” American Journal of Enology and Viticulture, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 221–226, 1983.
- J. Kvet and J. K. Marshall, “Assessment of leaf area and other assimilating plant surfaces,” in Plant Photosynthetic Production, Z. Sestak, J. Catsky, and P. G. Jarvis, Eds., Manual of Methods, pp. 517–555, Junk Publishers, The Hague, The Netherlands, 1971.
- H. Y. Lu, C. T. Lu, M. L. Wei, and L. F. Chan, “Comparison of different models for nondestructive leaf area estimation in taro,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 448–453, 2004.
- D. W. Stewart and L. M. Dwyer, “Mathematical characterization of leaf shape and area of maize hybrids,” Crop Science, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 422–427, 1999.
- M. Bhatt and S. V. Chanda, “Prediction of leaf area in Phaseolus vulgaris by non-destructive method,” Bulgarian Journal of Plant Physiology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 96–100, 2003.
- H. Gamper, “Nondestructive estimates of leaf area in white clover using predictive formulae: the contribution of genotype identity to trifoliate leaf area,” Crop Science, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 2552–2556, 2005.
- J. T. Tsialtas and N. Maslaris, “Leaf area estimation in a sugar beet cultivar by linear models,” Photosynthetica, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 477–479, 2005.
- J. T. Tsialtas and N. Maslaris, “Leaf area prediction model for sugar beet (Beta vulgaris L.) cultivars,” Photosynthetica, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 291–293, 2008.
- Y. Rouphael, G. Colla, S. Fanasca, and F. Karam, “Leaf area estimation of sunflower leaves from simple linear measurements,” Photosynthetica, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 306–308, 2007.
- A. Salerno, C. M. Rivera, Y. Rouphael et al., “Leaf area estimation of radish from simple linear measurements,” Advances in Horticultural Science, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 213–215, 2005.
- Y. Rouphael, C. M. Rivera, M. Cardarelli, S. Fanasca, and G. Colla, “Leaf area estimation from linear measurements in zucchini plants of different ages,” Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 238–241, 2006.
- H. Demirsoy, L. Demirsoy, and A. Öztürk, “Improved model for the non-destructive estimation of strawberry leaf area,” Fruits, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 69–73, 2005.
- E. Mendoza-de Gyves, Y. Rouphael, V. Cristofori, and F. R. Mira, “A non-destructive, simple and accurate model for estimating the individual leaf area of kiwi (Actinidia deliciosa),” Fruits, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 171–176, 2007.
- V. Cristofori, Y. Rouphael, E. Mendoza-de Gyves, and C. Bignami, “A simple model for estimating leaf area of hazelnut from linear measurements,” Scientia Horticulturae, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 221–225, 2007.
- C. M. Rivera, Y. Rouphael, M. Cardarelli, and G. Colla, “A simple and accurate equation for estimating individual leaf area of eggplant from linear measurements,” European Journal of Horticultural Science, vol. 72, no. 5, pp. 228–230, 2007.
- E. Peksen, “Non-destructive leaf area estimation model for faba bean (Vicia faba L.),” Scientia Horticulturae, vol. 113, no. 4, pp. 322–328, 2007.
- K. Ramesh, N. Ramawat, and V. Singh, “Leaf area distribution pattern and non-destructive estimation methods of leaf area for Stevia rebaudiana (Bert) Bertoni,” Asian Journal of Plant Sciences, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 1037–1043, 2007.
- V. Cristofori, C. Fallovo, E. Mendoza-de Gyves, C. M. Rivera, C. Bignami, and Y. Rouphael, “Non-destructive, analogue model for leaf area estimation in persimmon (Diospyros kaki L.f.) based on leaf length and width measurement,” European Journal of Horticultural Science, vol. 73, no. 5, pp. 216–221, 2008.
- E. Mendoza-de Gyves, V. Cristofori, C. Fallovo, Y. Rouphael, and C. Bignami, “Accurate and rapid technique for leaf area measurement in medlar (Mespilus germanica L.),” Advances in Horticultural Science, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 223–226, 2008.
- C. Fallovo, V. Cristofori, E. Mendoza-de Gyves, et al., “Leaf area estimation model for small fruits from linear measurements,” American Society for Horticultural Science, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 2263–2267, 2008.
- G. Fascella, P. Maggiore, G. V. Zizzo, G. Colla, and Y. Rouphael, “A simple and low-cost method for leaf area measurement in Euphorbia x lomi Thai hybrids,” Advances in Horticultural Science, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 57–60, 2009.
- R. Kumar, “Calibration and validation of regression model for non-destructive leaf area estimation of saffron (Crocus sativus L.),” Scientia Horticulturae, vol. 122, no. 1, pp. 142–145, 2009.
- K. Kandiannan, U. Parthasarathy, K. S. Krishnamurthy, C. K. Thankamani, and V. Srinivasan, “Modeling individual leaf area of ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe) using leaf length and width,” Scientia Horticulturae, vol. 120, no. 4, pp. 532–537, 2009.
- Y. Rouphael, A. H. Mouneimne, A. Ismail, E. Mendoza-de Gyves, C. M. Rivera, and G. Colla, “Modeling individual leaf area of rose (Rosa hybrida L.) based on leaf length and width measurement,” Photosynthetica, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 9–15, 2010.
- Y. Rouphael, A. H. Mouneimne, C. M. Rivera, M. Cardarelli, A. Marucci, and G. Colla, “Allometric models for non-destructive leaf area estimation in grafted and ungrafted watermelon (Citrullus lanatus Thunb),” Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 161–165, 2010.
- L. Zhang and X. S. Liu, “Non-destructive leaf-area estimation for Bergenia purpurascens across timberline ecotone, southeast Tibet,” Annales Botanici Fennici, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 346–352, 2010.