- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Botany
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 186891, 7 pages
Seed Cryopreservation of Some Medicinal Legumes
Institute of Biology and Soil Science, Far Eastern Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences, 159 Prospect 100-letiya Vladivostoka, Vladivostok 690022, Russia
Received 8 July 2011; Accepted 30 November 2011
Academic Editor: Olivier Honnay
Copyright © 2012 Alla B. Kholina and Nina M. Voronkova. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Shibata, E. Sakai, and K. Shimomura, “Effect of rapid freezing and thawing on hard-seed breaking in Astragalus mongholicus Bunge (Leguminosae),” Journal of Plant Physiology, vol. 147, no. 1, pp. 127–131, 1995.
- S. Sinclair, “Chinese herbs: a clinical review of Astragalus, Ligusticum, and Schizandrae,” Alternative Medicine Review, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 338–344, 1998.
- N. S. Pavlova, “Family Fabaceae,” in The Vascular Plants of the Soviet Far East, S. S. Kharkevich, Ed., vol. 4, pp. 191–339, Nauka, Leningrad, Russia, 1989.
- O. V. Neretina, A. S. Gromova, V. I. Lutsky, and A. A. Semenov, “Component composition of species of the genus Hedysarum (Fabaceae),” Rastitel’nye Resursy, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 111–138, 2004.
- K. F. Blinova and E. I. Sakanyan, “Species of Oxytropis used in Tibetan medicine and their flavonoid composition,” Rastitel’nye Resursy, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 266–272, 1986.
- D. Batsuren, S. Tsetsegmaa, N. Batbayar et al., “Alkaloids of Oxytropis. I,” Chemistry of Natural Compounds, vol. 28, no. 3-4, pp. 340–344, 1992.
- L. Long and Q. Li, “The effect of alkaloid from Oxytropis ochrocephala on growth inhibition and expression of PCNA and p53 in mice bearing H22 hepatocellular carcinoma,” Yakugaku Zasshi, vol. 125, no. 8, pp. 665–670, 2005.
- J. D. Cha, M. R. Jeong, S. I. Jeong, and K. Y. Lee, “Antibacterial activity of sophoraflavanone G isolated from the roots of Sophora flavescens,” Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 858–864, 2007.
- S. Y. Ryu, S. U. Choi, S. K. Kim et al., “In vitro antitumour activity of flavonoids from Sophora flavescens,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 51–53, 1997.
- G. A. Denisova, V. I. Dorofeev, and G. I. Kapranova, “Genus Trifolium L.,” in Plant Resources of the USSR: Flowering Plants, Their Chemical Composition and Use, P. D. Sokolov, Ed., vol. 3 of Hydrangeaceae—Haloragaceae Families, pp. 181–191, Nauka, Leningrad, Russia, 1987.
- S. S. Kang, Y. S. Chang, and J. S. Kim, “Two new acylated flavonol glycosides from Vicia amurensis,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 1242–1245, 2000.
- P. L. Popov, “Plant species, using against virus infections of man and animals: regularities of the distribution in the phylogenetic classification system,” Journal of Stress Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 17–64, 2008.
- O. V. Maksimov, P. G. Gorovoy, and G. N. Chumak, “The content of antioxidants in the seeds of some species of Primorie flora,” Rastitel’nye Resursy, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 487–498, 1990.
- F. Engelmann, “Plant cryopreservation: progress and prospects,” In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology—Plant, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 427–433, 2004.
- V. C. Pence, “Cryopreservation of seeds of Ohio native plants and related species,” Seed Science and Technology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 235–251, 1991.
- P. C. Stanwood, “Cryopreservation of seed germplasm for genetic conservation,” in Cryopreservation of Plant Cells and Organs, K. K. Kartha, Ed., pp. 199–226, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1985.
- P. Chmielarz, “Cryopreservation of dormant European ash (Fraxinus excelsior) orthodox seeds,” Tree Physiology, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 1279–1285, 2009.
- P. Chmielarz, “Cryopreservation of the non-dormant orthodox seeds of Ulmus glabra,” Acta Biologica Hungarica, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 224–233, 2010.
- D. H. Touchell and K. W. Dixon, “Cryopreservation of seed of Western Australian native species,” Biodiversity and Conservation, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 594–602, 1993.
- C. Walters, L. Wheeler, and P. C. Stanwood, “Longevity of cryogenically stored seeds,” Cryobiology, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 229–244, 2004.
- H. W. Pritchard, K. R. Manger, and F. G. Prendergast, “Changes in Trifolium arvense seed quality following alternating temperature treatment using liquid nitrogen,” Annals of Botany, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 1988.
- C. W. Vertucci, “Effect of cooling rate on seeds exposed to liquid nitrogen temperatures,” Plant Physiology, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 1478–1485, 1989.
- N. M. Voronkova and A. B. Kholina, “An influence of temperature factor and scarification on seed germination and growth of seedlings of Sophora flavescens Soland,” Rastitel’nye Resursy, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 43–49, 2003.
- J. M. Baskin, C. C. Baskin, and X. Li, “Taxonomy, anatomy and evolution of physical dormancy in seeds,” Plant Species Biology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 139–152, 2000.
- K. M. Kelly, J. Van Staden, and W. E. Bell, “Seed coat structure and dormancy,” Plant Growth Regulation, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 201–209, 1992.
- A. B. Kholina and N. M. Voronkova, “Conserving the gene pool of Far Eastern plants by means of seed cryopreservation,” Biology Bulletin, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 262–269, 2008.
- N. M. Voronkova, A. B. Kholina, and V. P. Verkholat, “Plant biomorphology and seed germination in pioneer species of Kamchatka volcanoes,” Biology Bulletin, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 599–605, 2008.
- P. Chmielarz, “Sensitivity of Tilia cordata seeds to dehydration and temperature of liquid nitrogen,” Dendrobiology, vol. 47, pp. 71–77, 2002.
- S. Gonçalves, L. Fernandes, F. Pérez-García, M. E. González-Benito, and A. Romano, “Germination requirements and cryopreservation tolerance of seeds of the endangered species Tuberaria major,” Seed Science and Technology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 480–484, 2009.
- A. N. Salomao, “Effects of liquid nitrogen storage on Zizyphus joazeiro seeds,” Cryo-Letters, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 85–90, 1995.
- F. Pérez-García, “Effect of cryopreservation, gibberellic acid and mechanical scarification on the seed germination of eight endemic species from the Canary Islands,” Seed Science and Technology, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 237–242, 2008.
- A. N. Salomão, “Tropical seed species' responses to liquid nitrogen exposure,” Brasilian Journal of Plant Physiology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 133–138, 2002.
- D. N. Peacock and K. E. Hummer, “Pregermination studies with liquid nitrogen and sulfuric acid on several Rubus species,” HortScience, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 238–239, 1996.
- F. Pérez-García and M. E. González-Benito, “Seed cryopreservation of Halimium and Helianthemum species,” Cryo-Letters, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 271–276, 2008.
- M. E. González-Benito, F. Fernández-Llorente, and F. Pérez-Garcia, “Interaction between cryopreservation, rewarming rate and seed humidification on the germination of two Spanish endemic species,” Annals of Botany, vol. 82, no. 5, pp. 683–686, 1998.
- V. L. Tikhonova, “Long-term storage of seeds,” Russian Journal of Plant Physiology, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 400–408, 1999.
- T. V. Nikishina, A. S. Popov, G. L. Kolomeitseva, and B. N. Golovkin, “Effect of cryoconservation on seed germination of rare tropical orchids,” Russian Journal of Plant Physiology, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 810–815, 2001.
- A. S. Popov, E. V. Popova, T. V. Nikishina, and G. L. Kolomeytseva, “The development of juvenile plants of the hybrid orchid Bratonia after seed cryopreservation,” Cryo-Letters, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 205–212, 2004.