- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Botany
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 217037, 26 pages
Reactive Oxygen Species, Oxidative Damage, and Antioxidative Defense Mechanism in Plants under Stressful Conditions
1Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi 221005, India
2Crop Development Centre, Department of Plant Sciences, College of Agriculture and Bioresources, University of Saskatchewan, 51 Campus Drive, Saskatoon SK, SK, Canada S7N 5A8
3School of Plant Sciences, The University of Arizona, Forbes Building, Room 303, P.O. Box 210036, Tucson, AZ 85721-0036, USA
Received 6 August 2011; Revised 12 February 2012; Accepted 12 February 2012
Academic Editor: Andrea Polle
Copyright © 2012 Pallavi Sharma et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [44 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Samantha Pyngrope, Kumari Bhoomika, and R. S. Dubey, “Reactive oxygen species, ascorbate–glutathione pool, and enzymes of their metabolism in drought-sensitive and tolerant indica rice (Oryza sativa L.) seedlings subjected to progressing levels of water deficit,” Protoplasma, vol. 250, no. 2, pp. 585–600, 2012.
- Pallavi Mishra, and R. S. Dubey, “Excess nickel modulates activities of carbohydrate metabolizing enzymes and induces accumulation of sugars by upregulating acid invertase and sucrose synthase in rice seedlings,” BioMetals, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 97–111, 2012.
- Lijuan Zhao, Bo Peng, Jose A. Hernandez-Viezcas, Cyren Rico, Youping Sun, Jose R. Peralta-Videa, Xiaolei Tang, Genhua Niu, Lixin Jin, Armando Varela-Ramirez, Jian-ying Zhang, and Jorge L. Gardea-Torresdey, “ Stress Response and Tolerance of Zea mays to CeO 2 Nanoparticles: Cross Talk among H 2 O 2 , Heat Shock Protein, and Lipid Peroxidation ,” ACS Nano, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 9615–9622, 2012.
- Hirut Kebede, Hamed K. Abbas, Daniel K. Fisher, and Nacer Bellaloui, “Relationship between Aflatoxin Contamination and Physiological Responses of Corn Plants under Drought and Heat Stress,” Toxins, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 1385–1403, 2012.
- Samantha Pyngrope, Kumari Bhoomika, and R. S. Dubey, “Oxidative stress, protein carbonylation, proteolysis and antioxidative defense system as a model for depicting water deficit tolerance in Indica rice seedlings,” Plant Growth Regulation, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 149–165, 2012.
- Nuran Ercal, “Release of N-acetylcysteine and N-acetylcysteine Amide From Contact Lenses,” Eye & Contact Lens-Science and Clinical Practice, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 335–340, 2013.
- Pedro Novillo, Alejandra Salvador, Empar Llorca, Isabel Hernando, and Cristina Besada, “Effect of CO2 deastringency treatment on flesh disorders induced by mechanical damage in persimmon. Biochemical and microstructural studies,” Food Chemistry, 2013.
- Poonam Pandey, Rajneesh Kumar Srivastava, and R. S. Dubey, “Water deficit and aluminum tolerance are associated with a high antioxidative enzyme capacity in Indica rice seedlings,” Protoplasma, 2013.
- Alka Shankar, Amarjeet Singh, Poonam Kanwar, Ashish Kumar Srivastava, Amita Pandey, Penna Suprasanna, and Sanjay Kapoor, “Gene Expression Analysis of Rice Seedling under Potassium Deprivation Revea ls Major Changes in Metabolism and Signaling Components,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 7, 2013.
- Teresa Donze, Nathan A. Palmer, Jeff Bradshaw, Tiffany Heng-Moss, Paul Twigg, Christian M. Tobias, Mark Lagrimini, and Gautam Sarath, “Towards uncovering the roles of switchgrass peroxidases in plant processes,” Frontiers in Plant Science, vol. 4, 2013.
- I. Hussain, M. Arslan Ashraf, F. Anwar, R. Rasheed, M. Niaz, and A. Wahid, “ Biochemical characterization of maize ( Zea mays L.) for salt tolerance ,” Plant Biosystems - An International Journal Dealing with all Aspects of Plant Biology, pp. 1–11, 2013.
- Cyren M. Rico, Jie Hong, Maria Isabel Morales, Lijuan Zhao, Ana Cecilia Barrios, Jian-Ying Zhang, Jose R. Peralta-Videa, and Jorge L. Gardea-Torresdey, “Effect of Cerium Oxide Nanoparticles on Rice: A Study Involving the Antioxidant Defense System and In Vivo Fluorescence Imaging,” Environmental Science & Technology, pp. 130517160648000, 2013.
- Kumari Bhoomika, Samantha Pyngrope, and R. S. Dubey, “Differential responses of antioxidant enzymes to aluminum toxicity in two rice (Oryza sativa L.) cultivars with marked presence and elevated activity of Fe SOD and enhanced activities of Mn SOD and catalase in aluminum tolerant cultivar,” Plant Growth Regulation, 2013.
- Fernanda Freitas Caregnato, Rafael Calixto Bortolin, Armando Molina Divan Junior, and José Cláudio Fonseca Moreira, “Exposure to elevated ozone levels differentially affects the antioxidant capacity and the redox homeostasis of two subtropical Phaseolus vulgaris L. varieties,” Chemosphere, 2013.
- Hee-Sun Kook, Sung-Hee Park, Ye-Jin Jang, Gun-Woong Lee, Jae Su Kim, Hyung Moo Kim, Byung-Taek Oh, Jong-Chan Chae, and Kui-Jae Lee, “Blue LED (light-emitting diodes)-mediated growth promotion and control of B otrytis disease in lettuce,” Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica Section B-Soil And Plant Science, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 271–277, 2013.
- P. Boccia, C. Meconi, M. Mecozzi, and E. Sturchio, “ Molecular Modifications Induced by Inorganic Arsenic in Vicia faba Investigated by FTIR, FTNIR Spectroscopy and Genotoxicity Testing ,” Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A, vol. 76, no. 4-5, pp. 281–290, 2013.
- C. Mandal, N. Ghosh, N. Dey, and M. K. Adak, “ Effects of putrescine on oxidative stress induced by hydrogen peroxide in Salvinia natans L. ,” Journal of Plant Interactions, pp. 1–28, 2013.
- Justyna Niedziela, and Tamara Chadzinikolau, “Separate and combined responses to water deficit and UV-B radiation,” Plant Science, vol. 213, pp. 98–105, 2013.
- Neelam Ara, Korakot Nakkanong, Wenhui Lv, Jinghua Yang, and Zhongyuan Hu, “Antioxidant Enzymatic Activities and Gene Expression Associated with Heat T olerance in the Stems and Roots of Two Cucurbit Species ("Cucurbita maxima" and "Cucurbita moschata") and Their Interspecific Inbred Line "Maxchata",” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 24008–24028, 2013.
- B. Sid, and J. Verrax, “Role of oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of alcohol-induced liver disea se,” Free Radical Research, vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 894–904, 2013.
- Rafael Calixto Bortolin, Fernanda Freitas Caregnato, Armando Molina Divan, Flávio Henrique Reginatto, Daniel Pens Gelain, and José Cláudio Fonseca Moreira, “Effects of chronic elevated ozone concentration on the redox state and fruit yield of red pepper plant Capsicum baccatum,” Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 2013.
- Krishna Kumar Choudhary, and S.B. Agrawal, “Cultivar specificity of tropical mung bean (Vigna radiata L.) to elevated ultraviolet-B: Changes in antioxidative defense system, nitrogen metabolism and accumulation of jasmonic and salicylic acids,” Environmental and Experimental Botany, 2013.
- Zengling Ma, and Kunshan Gao, “Carbon limitation enhances CO2 concentrating mechanism but reduces trichome size in Arthrospira platensis (cyanobacterium),” Journal of Applied Phycology, 2013.
- Tamara Jakovljević, Marina Cvjetko Bubalo, Sanja Orlović, Marija Sedak, Nina Bilandžić, Iva Brozinčević, and Ivana Radojčić Redovniković, “Adaptive response of poplar (Populus nigra L.) after prolonged Cd exposure period,” Environmental Science and Pollution Research, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 3792–3802, 2013.
- Liang Yan, and Zhanjun Gu, “Chemical Mechanisms of the Toxicological Properties of Nanomaterials: Gener ation of Intracellular Reactive Oxygen Species,” Chemistry-An Asian Journal, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 2342–2353, 2013.
- Rohanie Maharaj, Joseph Arul, and Paul Nadeau, “UV-C irradiation effects on levels of enzymic and non-enzymic phytochemicals in tomato,” Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 2013.
- Hanan Ahmed Hashem, “Cadmium toxicity induces lipid peroxidation and alters cytokinin content and antioxidant enzyme activities in soybean,” Botany, pp. 131023143816005, 2013.
- J. Rao, Y. Liu, G. Wang, H. Li, F. Ge, and C. Chen, “Overexpression of the glutathione S-transferase gene from Pyrus pyrifolia f ruit improves tolerance to abiotic stress in transgenic tobacco plants,” Molecular Biology, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 515–523, 2013.
- Cyren M. Rico, Maria Isabel Morales, Alejandro Tafoya, Jose Angel Hernandez-Viezcas, Jose E. Nunez, Ana Cecilia Barrios, Juan Pedro Flores-Marges, and Jose R. Peralta-Videa, “Toxicity Assessment of Cerium Oxide Nanoparticles in Cilantro (Coriandrum s ativum L.) Plants Grown in Organic Soil,” Journal Of Agricultural And Food Chemistry, vol. 61, no. 26, pp. 6224–6230, 2013.
- Yu-Cheng Tsai, Pin-Chun Hung, Pei-Chun Shen, K. J. Senthil Kumar, Sheng-Yang Wang, Hsin-Ling Yang, Ssu-Ching Chen, You-Cheng Hseu, Show-Huei Chang, Heng-Wei Lo, and Hui-Min Wang, “Lucidone protects human skin keratinocytes against free radical-induced oxi dative damage and inflammation through the up-regulation of HO-1/Nrf2 antio xidant genes and down-regulation of NF-kappa B signaling pathway,” Food And Chemical Toxicology, vol. 59, pp. 55–66, 2013.
- M. H. El-Deep, A. I. Shouman, and R. A. Hassanein, “Irrigation with industrial wastewater activates antioxidant system and osmo protectant accumulation in lettuce, turnip and tomato plants,” Ecotoxicology And Environmental Safety, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 144–152, 2013.
- Likun Liu, “Expression and Biological Properties of a Novel Methionine Sulfoxide Reduct ase A in Tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum),” Protein Journal, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 266–274, 2013.
- Lili Zhang, Gang Chen, Lingrui Zhang, Tim Xing, Jianzong Peng, Yinghua Wang, and Shulan Sun, “A novel stress-associated protein SbSAP14 from Sorghum bicolor confers tole rance to salt stress in transgenic rice,” Molecular Breeding, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 437–449, 2013.
- V. Ramana Gopavajhula, K. Viswanatha Chaitanya, Jilani P. Shaik, Mohammad Alanazi, and P. Narasimha Reddy, “Modeling and analysis of soybean (Glycine max. L) Cu/Zn, Mn and Fe superoxi de dismutases,” Genetics And Molecular Biology, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 225–236, 2013.
- Renata Wojciechowska, Anna Kolton, Iwona Kaminska, Aneta Grabowska, and Edward Kunicki, “The effect of seedling chilling on glutathione content, catalase and peroxi dase activity in Brassica oleracea L. var. italica,” Acta Societatis Botanicorum Poloniae, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 243–248, 2013.
- Marina Cvjetko Bubalo, Karla Hanousek, Kristina Radošević, Višnja Gaurina Srček, Tamara Jakovljević, and Ivana Radojčić Redovniković, “Imidiazolium based ionic liquids: Effects of different anions and alkyl chains lengths on the barley seedlings,” Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, vol. 101, pp. 116–123, 2014.
- Krishna Kumar Choudhary, “Ultraviolet-B induced changes in morphological, physiological and biochemic al parameters of two cultivars of pea (Pisum sativum L.),” Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, vol. 100, pp. 178–187, 2014.
- Camila D. Medeiros, Jose R. C. Ferreira Neto, Marciel T. Oliveira, Rebeca Rivas, Valesca Pandolfi, Ederson A. Kido, and Jose. I. Baldani, “Photosynthesis, antioxidant activities and transcriptional responses in two sugarcane (Saccharum officinarum L.) cultivars under salt stress,” Acta Physiologiae Plantarum, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 447–459, 2014.
- Snigdha Rai, Chhavi Agrawal, Alok Kumar Shrivastava, Prashant Kumar Singh, and L.C. Rai, “Comparative proteomics unveils cross species variations in Anabaena under salt stress,” Journal of Proteomics, vol. 98, pp. 254–270, 2014.
- N.M. Zholobak, A.B. Shcherbakov, A.S. Bogorad-Kobelska, O.S. Ivanova, A.Ye. Baranchikov, N.Ya. Spivak, and V.K. Ivanov, “Panthenol-stabilized cerium dioxide nanoparticles for cosmeceutic formulations against ROS-induced and UV-induced damage,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology, vol. 130, pp. 102–108, 2014.
- Hale Gamze Duymuş, Fatih Göger, and K. Hüsnü Can Başer, “In vitro antioxidant properties and anthocyanin compositions of elderberry extracts,” Food Chemistry, 2014.
- Alessandra Manzo, Ilda Vagge, and Sara Panseri, “Effect of Light Environment on Growth and Phenylpropanoids of Yarrow (Achil lea collina cv. SPAK) Grown in the Alps,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 113–120, 2014.
- Min-Cheol Kang, Seo Young Kim, Yoon Taek Min, Eun-A. Kim, Seung-Hong Lee, Seok-Chun Ko, W. A. J. P. Wijesinghe, Kalpa W. Samarakoon, Young-Sun Kim, Jin Hun Cho, and Hyeang-Su Jang, “In vitro and in vivo antioxidant activities of polysaccharide purified from aloe vera (Aloe barbadensis) gel,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 99, pp. 365–371, 2014.
- Mirta Tkalec, Petra Peharec Stefanic, Petra Cvjetko, Sandra Sikic, and Mirjana Pavlica, “The Effects of Cadmium-Zinc Interactions on Biochemical Responses in Tobacc o Seedlings and Adult Plants,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 1, 2014.