- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Combustion
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 138619, 8 pages
Modified Quasi-Steady Fuel Droplet Combustion Model
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Uyo, PMB 1017, Uyo, Akwa Ibom, Nigeria
Received 19 December 2011; Accepted 10 March 2012
Academic Editor: Evangelos G. Giakoumis
Copyright © 2012 Etim S. Udoetok. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. R. Turns, An Introduction to Combustion: Concepts and Applications, McGraw Hill, 2nd edition, 2000.
- M. Goldsmith and S. S. Penner, “On the burning of single drops of fuel in oxidizing atmosphere,” Jet Propulsion, vol. 24, pp. 245–251, 1954.
- G. A. E. Godsave, “Studies of the combustion of drops in a fuel spray-the burning of single drops of fuel,” Symposium (International) on Combustion, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 818–830, 1953.
- D. B. Spalding, “The combustion of liquid fuels,” Symposium (International) on Combustion, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 847–864, 1953.
- B. N. Raghunandan and H. S. Mukunda, “The problem of liquid droplet combustion-A reexamination,” Combustion and Flame, vol. 30, no. C, pp. 71–84, 1977.
- J. W. Aldred, J. C. Patel, and A. Williams, “The mechanism of combustion of droplets and spheres of liquid n-heptane,” Combustion and Flame, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 139–148, 1971.
- H. Wise, J. Lorell, and B. J. Wood, “The effects of chemical and physical parameters on the burning rate of a liquid droplet,” Symposium (International) on Combustion, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 132–141, 1955.
- L. He, S. D. Tse, and C. K. Law, “Role of flamefront motion and criterion for global quasi-steadiness in droplet burning,” Symposium (International) on Combustion, vol. 2, pp. 1943–1950, 1998.
- S. Kumagai, T. Sakai, and S. Okajimah, “Combustion of free fuel droplets in a freelly falling chamber,” Symposium (International) on Combustion, vol. 30, pp. 778–785, 1971.
- C. K. Law, S. H. Chung, and N. Srinivasan, “Gas-phase quasi-steadiness and fuel vapor accumulation effects in droplet burning,” Combustion and Flame, vol. 38, no. C, pp. 173–198, 1980.
- C. K. Law, “Recent advances in droplet vaporization and combustion,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 169–199, 1982.
- F. A. Williams, Combustion Theory, Benjamin/Cummings, Menlo Park, Calif, USA, 2nd edition, 1985.
- I. K. Puri and P. A. Libby, “The influence of transport properties on droplet burning,” Combustion Science and Technology, vol. 76, pp. 67–80, 1991.
- F. F. Filho, “An analytical solution for the quasi-steady droplet combustion,” Combustion and Flame, vol. 116, no. 1-2, pp. 302–306, 1998.
- R. T. Imaoka and W. A. Sirignano, “Transient vaporization and burning in dense droplet arrays,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 48, no. 21-22, pp. 4354–4366, 2005.
- R. T. Imaoka and W. A. Sirignano, “A generalized analysis for liquid-fuel vaporization and burning,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 48, no. 21-22, pp. 4342–4353, 2005.
- R. T. Imaoka and W. A. Sirignano, “Vaporization and combustion in three-dimensional droplet arrays,” in Proceedings of the 30th International Symposium on Combustion, vol. 30, pp. 1981–1989, July 2004.
- C. K. Law and F. A. Williams, “Kinetics and convection in the combustion of alkane droplets,” Combustion and Flame, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 393–405, 1972.
- R. H. Perry, D. W. Green, and J. O. Maloney, Perry’s Chemical Engineers Handbook, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 6th edition, 1984.
- T. L. Bergman, A. S. Lavine, F. P. Incropera, and D. P. Dewitt, Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer, John Wiley and Sons, 7th edition, 2011.
- American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Engineers, ASHRAE Handbook: Fundamentals, ASHRAE, 1981.
- N. B. Vargaftik, Tables of Thermophysical Properties of Liquids and Gases, Hemisphere Publishing, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1975.
- A. Kamei, S. W. Beyerlein, and R. T. Jacobsen, “Application of nonlinear regression in the development of a wide range formulation for HCFC-22,” International Journal of Thermophysics, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 1155–1164, 1995.
- S. Kumagai and H. Isoda, “Combustion of fuel droplets in a falling chamber,” Symposium (International) on Combustion, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 726–731, 1957.
- M. T. Monaghan, R. G. Siddall, and M. W. Thring, “The influence of initial diameter on the combustion of single drops of liquid fuel,” Combustion and Flame, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 45–53, 1968.
- J. W. Aldred and A. Williams, “The burning rates of drops of n-alkanes,” Combustion and Flame, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 396–398, 1966.
- M. Goldsmith, “Experiments on the burning of single drops of fuel,” Jet Propulsion, vol. 26, pp. 172–178, 1956.