- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Combustion
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 718202, 10 pages
Flash Atomization: A New Concept to Control Combustion Instability in Water-Injected Gas Turbines
Mechanical Engineering Division, Southwest Research Institute, San Antonio, TX 78228, USA
Received 20 July 2011; Revised 1 November 2011; Accepted 15 November 2011
Academic Editor: Constantine D. Rakopoulos
Copyright © 2012 Vishwas Iyengar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- O. Bolland and T. Veer, “Centenary of the first gas turbine to give net power output: a tribute to Ægidius Elling,” in Proceedings of the ASME-Turbo Expo Conference, 2003.
- E. C. Wilcox and A. M. Trout, “Analysis of thrust augmentation of turbojet engines by water injection at compressor inlet including charts for calculating compression processes with water injection,” Tech. Rep. 1006, NACA, 1950.
- J. S. Chin and A. H. Lefebvre, “Studies on internal-mixing air-assist atomizers,” unpublished Purdue report, 1992.
- S. D. Sovani, P. E. Sojka, and A. H. Lefebvre, “Effervescent atomization,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 483–521, 2001.
- A. H. Lefebvre, X. F. Wang, and C. A. Martin, “Spray characteristics of aerated-liquid pressure atomizers,” Journal of Propulsion and Power, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 293–298, 1988.
- A. H. Lefebvre, “Novel method of atomization with potential gas turbine applications,” Indian Defense Science Journal, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 353–361, 1988.
- J. S. Chin and A. H. Lefebvre, “Design procedure for effervescent atomizers,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 266–271, 1995.
- B. Golovanesky and Y. Levy, “Suppression of combustion instability using an aerodynamically exited atomizer,” in Proceedings of the 11th International Symposium for Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics, Portugal, 2002.
- R. J. Santoro, “High pressure combustion studies under combustion-driven oscillatory flow conditions,” Tech. Rep. A765033, 1997.
- G. Yu, J. G. Li, J. R. Zhao, L. J. Yue, X. Y. Chang, and C. J. Sung, “An experimental study of kerosene combustion in a supersonic model combustor using effervescent atomization,” in Proceedings of the 30th International Symposium on Combustion, pp. 2859–2866, July 2004.
- J. Y. Lee, E. Lubarsky, and B. T. Zinn, “Suppression of instabilities in liquid fueled combustor by variation of fuel spray properties,” in Proceedings of the ASME Turbo Expo, pp. 139–147, June 2003.
- J. L. Chen, M. Wells, and J. Creehan, “Primary atomization and spray analysis of compound nozzle gasoline injectors,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 237–243, 1998.
- A. Singh, M. Mehregany, S. M. Phillips, R. J. Harvey, and M. Benjamin, “Micromachined silicon fuel atomizers for gas turbine engines,” in Proceedings of the 1995 9th Annual International Workshop on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, pp. 473–478, February 1996.
- G. M. Faeth, “Structure and atomization properties of dense turbulent sprays,” in Proceedings of the International 23rd Symposium on Combustion, vol. 23, pp. 1345–1352, 1996.
- J. A. Wünning and J. G. Wünning, “Flameless oxidation to reduce thermal no-formation,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 81–94, 1997.
- K. Mathioudakis, “Analysis of the effects of water injection on the performance of a gas turbine,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, vol. 124, no. 3, pp. 489–495, 2002.
- T. Kadota and H. Yamasaki, “Recent advances in the combustion of water fuel emulsion,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 385–404, 2002.
- “Procedure for injecting water into an essentially locked area and afterwards working a device,” Austrian Patent no A704/2009, 2009.
- B. P. Husted, G. Holmstedt, and T. Hertzberg, “The physics behind water mist systems,” in Proceedings of the IWMA Conference, Rome, Italy, 2004.