- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 836187, 11 pages
Numerical Modeling Chemical Vapor Infiltration of SiC Composites
Institute of Solid Mechanics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Kaiserstrasse 12, Room 310, Building 10.91, 76131 Karlsruhe, Germany
Received 29 June 2012; Accepted 22 October 2012
Academic Editor: Ekaterina Tsipis
Copyright © 2013 Yaochan Zhu and Eckart Schnack. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. G. Wulz, U. Trabandt, and T. Schmid, “High temperature ceramic matrix composites iii,” Key Engineering Materials, vol. 164, pp. 1445–1449, 1999.
- J. I. Kim, W. J. Kim, D. J. Choi, and J. Y. Park, “Deposition of compositionally graded SiC/C layers on C–C composites by low pressure chemical vapor deposition,” Journal of Nuclear Materials, vol. 307–311, no. 2, pp. 1084–1087, 2002.
- K. Minato and K. Fukuda, “Structure of chemically vapour deposited silicon carbide for coated fuel particles,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 699–706, 1988.
- J. H. Oh, B. J. Oh, D. J. Choi, G. H. Kim, and H. S. Song, “The effect of input gas ratio on the growth behavior of chemical vapor deposited SiC films,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 1695–1700, 2001.
- D. A. Streitwieser, Kinetic investigation of the Chemical Vapor Infiltration and Reaction (CVI-R) process for the production of SiC and TiC biomorphic ceramics from paper preforms [Ph.D. thesis], University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, 2004.
- F. Kobayashi, K. Ikawa, and K. Iwamoto, “Formation of carbon-excess SiC from pyrolysis of CH3SiCl3,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 395–396, 1975.
- A. Josiek and F. Langlais, “Kinetics of CVD of stoichiometric and Si-excess SiC in the system MTS/H2 at medium decomposition of MTS,” Chemical Vapor Deposition, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 141–146, 1996.
- T. Tago, M. Kawase, Y. Ikuta, and K. Hashimoto, “Numerical simulation of the thermal-gradient chemical vapor infiltration process for production of fiber-reinforced ceramic composite,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 2161–2170, 2001.
- X. Wei, L. Cheng, L. Zhang, Y. Xu, and Q. Zeng, “Numerical simulation for fabrication of C/SiC composites in isothermal CVI reactor,” Computational Materials Science, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 245–255, 2006.
- W. G. Zhang and K. J. Huettinger, “Cvd of sic from methyltrichlorosilane. part I: deposition rates,” Chemical Vapor Deposition, vol. 1677, 172 pages, 2001.
- N. Moelans, B. Blanpain, and P. Wollants, “An introduction to phase-field modeling of microstructure evolution,” Computer Coupling of Phase Diagrams and Thermochemistry, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 268–294, 2008.
- B. J. Palmer and R. G. Gordon, “Local equilibrium model of morphological instabilities in chemical vapor deposition,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 158, no. 2, pp. 313–341, 1988.
- B. J. Palmer and R. G. Gordon, “Kinetic model of morphological instabilities in chemical vapor deposition,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 177, no. 1-2, pp. 141–159, 1989.
- S. Jin, X. Wang, and T. L. Starr, “Model for front evolution with a nonlocal growth rate,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 3829–3832, 1999.
- S. Jin and X. Wang, “Robust numerical simulation of porosity evolution in chemical vapor infiltration. II. Two-dimensional anisotropic fronts,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 179, no. 2, pp. 557–577, 2002.
- E. Schnack, F. W. Wang, and A. J. Li, “Phase-field model for the chemical vapor infiltration of silicon carbide,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 157, no. 7, pp. D377–D386, 2010.
- A. Ekhlakov, S. Dimitrov, T. A. Langhoff, and E. Schnack, “Phase-field model for deposition of pyrolytic carbon,” Communications in Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 2139–2154, 2008.
- E. Schnack, F. W. Wang, T. A. Langhoff, and A. J. Li, “Modeling and simulation of composites in the design process,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Tools and Methods in Competitive Engineering, 2008.
- W. G. Zhang and G. K. Huttinger, “Chemical vapor deposition of sic from methyltrichlorosilane part ii: Composition of the gas phase and the deposit,” Advanced Materials, vol. 7, pp. 173–181, 2001.
- M. D. Allendorf and C. F. Melius, “Theoretical study of thermochemistry of molecules in the silicon-carbon-chlorine-hydrogn system,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 720–728, 1993.
- E. Fitzer and D. Kehr, “Carbon, carbide and silicide coatings,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 39, no. C, pp. 55–67, 1976.
- M. W. Chase, J. L. Curnutt, R. A. McDonald, and A. N. Syverud, “Nist-janaf thermochemical talbles,” Journal of Physical and Chemical Reference Data, vol. 9, 1998.
- L. V. Gurvich, I. V. Veyts, and C. B. Alcock, Thermodynamic Properties of Individual Substances, Hemisphere Publishing, 1989.
- J. J. Eggleston, G. B. McFadden, and P. W. Voorhees, “A phase-field model for highly anisotropic interfacial energy,” Physica D, vol. 150, no. 1-2, pp. 91–103, 2001.
- I. Steinbach, F. Pezzolla, B. Nestler et al., “A phase field concept for multiphase systems,” Physica D, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 135–147, 1996.
- R. H. Perry, D. W. Green, and J. O. Maloney, Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook, McGraw-Hill, 7th edition, 1997.
- C. Beckermann, H. J. Diepers, I. Steinbach, A. Karma, and X. Tong, “Modeling melt convection in phase-field simulations of solidification,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 154, no. 2, pp. 468–496, 1999.
- V. Arnautu and C. Morosanu, “Numerical approximation for the phase field transition system,” International Journal of Computer Mathematics, vol. 62, pp. 209–221, 1995.
- M. R. Dorr, J. L. Fattebert, M. E. Wickett, J. F. Belak, and P. E. A. Turchi, “A numerical algorithm for the solution of a phase-field model of polycrystalline materials,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 229, no. 3, pp. 626–641, 2010.
- F. Loumagne, F. Langlais, and R. Naslain, “Experimental kinetic study of the chemical vapour deposition of SiC-based ceramics from CH3SiCl3H2 gas precursor,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 155, no. 3-4, pp. 198–204, 1995.
- G. D. Papasouliotis and S. V. Sotirchos, “Experimental study of atmospheric pressure chemical vapor deposition of silicon carbide from methyltrichlorosilane,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 3397–3409, 1999.