- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 957647, 13 pages
History, Introduction, and Kinetics of Ion Exchange Materials
University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248007, India
Received 20 May 2013; Revised 14 August 2013; Accepted 15 August 2013
Academic Editor: Roberto Comparelli
Copyright © 2013 Sanjeev Kumar and Sapna Jain. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Pérez-Arantegui, J. Molera, A. Larrea et al., “Luster pottery from the thirteenth century to the sixteenth century: a nanostructured thin metallic film,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 442–446, 2001.
- S. Padovani, C. Sada, P. Mazzoldi et al., “Copper in glazes of renaissance luster pottery: nanoparticles, ions, and local environment,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 93, no. 12, pp. 10058–10063, 2003.
- S. Padovani, I. Borgia, B. Brunetti et al., “Silver and copper nanoclusters in the lustre decoration of Italian Renaissance pottery: an EXAFS study,” Applied Physics A, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 229–233, 2004.
- H. S. Thompson, “On the absorbent power of soils,” Journal of the Royal Agricultural Society of England, vol. 11, pp. 68–74, 1850.
- J. T. Way, “On the power of soils to absorb manure,” Journal of the Royal Agricultural Society, vol. 11, pp. 313–379, 1850.
- R. Gans, “Zeolites and similar compounds, their constitution and meaning for technology and agriculture,” Jahrbuch der Königlich Preussischen Geologischen Landesanstalt, vol. 26, p. 179, 1905.
- B. A. Adams and E. L. Holmes, “Adsorptive properties of synthetic resins,” Journal of Chemical Society, vol. 54, pp. 1–6, 1935.
- C. A. Lucy, “Evolution of ion-exchange: from moses to the manhattan project to modern times,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1000, no. 1-2, pp. 711–724, 2003.
- A. A. Zagorodni, Ion Exchange Materials Properties and Applications, Elseiver, Oxford, UK, 1st edition, 2007.
- N. B. Chernjatskaja, “Sorption of strontium on clinoptilolite and heulandite,” Radiochemistry, vol. 27, pp. 618–621, 1988.
- N. Yamasaki, S. Kanahara, and K. Yanagisawa, “Adsorptions of strontium and cesium ions on hydrothermally altered minerals of feldspar,” Lithia-Mica and Bauxite, Nippon Kagaku Kaishi, vol. 12, pp. 2015–2018, 1984.
- M. Naushad, “Inorganic and composite ion exchange materials and their applications,” Ion Exchange Letters, vol. 2, pp. 1–14, 2009.
- K. G. Varshney and A. M. Khan, “Amorphous inorganic ion exchangers,” in Inorganic Ion Exchangers in Chemical Analysis, M. Qureshi and K. G. Varshney, Eds., pp. 177–270, CRC Press, 1991.
- A. Clearfield, “Inorganic ion exchangers: a technology ripe for development,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 2865–2872, 1995.
- G. Alberti, U. Costantino, and M. L. Luciani, “Crystalline insoluble acid salt of tetravalent metals. II.Comparison of ion-exchange properties of crystalline α-zirconium phosphate and α-titanium phosphate,” Gazzetta Chimica Italiana, vol. 110, p. 61, 1980.
- T. Möller, Selective crystalline inorganic materials as ion exchangers in the treatment of nuclear waste solutions [Academic Dissertation], University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland, 2002.
- A. P. Vanselow, “Equilibria of the base-exchange reactions of bentonites, permutites, soil colloids, and zeolites,” Soil Science, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 95–113, 1932.
- H. Laudelout, R. van Bladel, G. H. Bolt, and A. L. Page, “Thermodynamics of heterovalent cation exchange reactions in a montmorillonite clay,” Transactions of the Faraday Society, vol. 64, pp. 1477–1488, 1968.
- G. L. Gaines Jr. and H. C. Thomas, “Adsorption studies on clay minerals. II. A formulation of the thermodynamics of exchange adsorption,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 714–718, 1953.
- K. Verburg and P. Baveye, “Hysteresis in the binary exchange of cations on 2:1 clay minerals: a critical review,” Clays & Clay Minerals, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 207–220, 1994.
- E. Eriksson, “Cation exchange equilibria on clay minerals,” Soil Science, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 103–113, 1952.
- A. Maes and A. Cremers, “Charge density effects in ion exchange: I. Heterovalent exchange equilibria,” Journal of the Chemical Society, Faraday Transactions, vol. 73, pp. 1807–1814, 1977.
- C. Neal and D. M. Cooper, “Extended version of Gouy-Chapman electrostatic theory as applied to the exchange behavior of clay in natural waters,” Clays & Clays Minerals, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 367–376, 1983.
- S. Nir, “Specific and nonspecific cation adsorption to clays: solution concentrations and surface potentials,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 52–57, 1986.
- B. L. Sawhney, “Cesium uptake by layer silicates: effect on interlayer collapse and cation exchange capacity,” in Proceedings of the International Clay Conference, L. Heller, Ed., pp. 605–611, Israel University Press, Tokyo, Japan, September 1969.
- I. Shainberg, N. I. Alperovitch, and R. Keren, “Charge density and Na-K-Ca exchange on smectites,” Clays & Clay Minerals, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 68–73, 1987.
- A. M. Posner and J. P. Quirk, “The adsorption of water from concentrated electrolyte solutions by montmorillonite and illite,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, vol. 278, no. 1372, pp. 35–56, 1964.
- G. Eisenman, “Cation selective glass electrodes and their mode of operation,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 259–323, 1962.
- D. D. Eberl, “Alkali cation selectivity and fixation by clay minerals,” Clays & Clay Minerals, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 161–172, 1980.
- F. Helfferich, Ion Exchange, McGraw Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1962.
- F. G. Helfferich and Y. L. Hwang, “Ion Exchange kinetics,” in Ion Exchangers, K. Dorfner, Ed., pp. 1277–1309, Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, Germany, 1991.
- F. G. Helfferich, “Ion exchange kineticsevolution of a theory,” in Mass Transfer and Kinetics of Ion Exchange, L. Liberti and F. G. Helfferich, Eds., pp. 157–180, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, Hague, The Netherlands, 1983.
- F. Helfferich, “Kinetik des Ionenaustauschs,” Angewandte Chemie, vol. 68, no. 22, pp. 693–698, 1956.
- G. V. Samsonov, E. B. Trostyanskaya, and G. E. El’kin, Ion Exchange, Sorption of Organic Substances. (Ionnyi Obmen, Sorbtsiya Organicheskikh Veshchestv), Nauka, Leningrad, Russia, 1969.