- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Computer Systems, Networks, and Communications
Volume 2008 (2008), Article ID 583162, 7 pages
Internal Clock Drift Estimation in Computer Clusters
Department of Computer and Software Engineering, Ecole Polytechnique, P.O. Box 6079, Downtown, Montreal, QC, Canada H3C 3A7
Received 22 August 2007; Revised 12 February 2008; Accepted 4 May 2008
Academic Editor: Wael Badawy
Copyright © 2008 Hicham Marouani and Michel R. Dagenais. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Bligh, M. Desnoyers, and R. Schultz, “Linux Kernel Debugging on Google-sized clusters,” in Proceedings of the Linux Symposium, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, June 2007.
- B. M. Cantrill, M. W. Shapiro, and A. H. Leventhal, “Dynamic instrumentation of production systems,” in Proceedings of the USENIX Annual Technical Conference, pp. 15–28, Boston, Mass, USA, June-July 2004.
- V. Prasad, W. Cohen, F. C. Eigler, M. Hunt, J. Keniston, and B. Chen, “Locating system problems using dynamic instrumentation,” in Proceedings of the Linux Symposium, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, July 2005.
- K. Yaghmour and M. R. Dagenais, “Measuring and characterizing system behavior using kernel-level event logging,” in Proceedings of the USENIX Annual Technical Conference, pp. 13–26, San Diego, Calif, USA, June 2000.
- M. Desnoyers and M. R. Dagenais, “The LTTng tracer: a low impact performance and behavior monitor for GNU/Linux,” in Proceedings of the Linux Symposium, pp. 209–224, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, July 2006.
- Linux Trace Toollkit, July 2007, http://ltt.polymtl.ca/.
- G. Coulouris, J. Dollimore, and T. Kindberg, “Time and global state,” in Distributed Systems Concepts and Design, pp. 385–400, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass, USA, 2001.
- E. Clement, “Synchronisation de traces dans un réseau distribué,” Mémoire de maîtrise, Ecole Polytechnique de Montréal, Québec, Canada, August 2006.
- D. P. Bovet and M. Cesati, Understanding the Linux Kernel, O'Reilly, Sebastopol, Calif, USA, 2nd edition, 2002.
- Motorola GPS, September 2004, http://www.motorola.com/ies/GPS/productstiming.html.
- V. Smotlacha, “Measurement of time servers,” Tech. Rep. 18/2001, CESNET Association, Prague, Czech Republic, December 2001.
- J. R. Ring, C. P. Allen, and S. Snyder, “Adjusting processor clock information using a clock drift estimate,” US patent 20060208941, September 2006.
- W. Lewandowski, J. Azoubib, and W. J. Klepczynski, “GPS: primary tool for time transfer,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 163–172, 1999.
- H. Marouani, “Mesure de la précision des compteurs de cycle et horloge interne des ordinateurs,” Mémoire de maîtrise, Ecole Polytechnique de Montréal, Québec, Canada, October 2004.
- H. Marouani and M. R. Dagenais, “Comparing high resolution timestamps in computer clusters,” in Proceedings of the 18th Annual Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCEC '05), pp. 400–403, Saskatoon, Canada, May 2005.
- J. Elson, L. Girod, and D. Estrin, “Fine-grained network time synchronization using reference broadcasts,” ACM SIGOPS Operating Systems Review, vol. 36, no. S1, pp. 147–163, 2002.
- R. K. Karlquist, L. S. Cutler, E. M. Ingman, J. L. Johnson, and T. Parisek, “A low-profile high-performance crystal oscillator for timekeeping applications,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Frequency Control Symposium, pp. 873–884, Orlando, Fla, USA, May 1997.
- H. Kawashima and K. Sunaga, “Temperature compensated crystal oscillator employing new shape GT cut quartz crystal resonator,” in Proceedings of the 45th Annual Symposium on Frequency Control, pp. 410–417, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, May 1991.
- D. W. Allan, “The Allan Variance,” September 2004, http://www.allanstime.com/AllanVariance/.
- D. W. Allan, “Should the classical variance be used as a basic measure in standards metrology?” IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. IM-36, no. 2, pp. 646–654, 1987.
- D. L. Mills, “Improved algorithms for synchronizing computer network clocks,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 245–254, 1995.
- F. Sivrikaya and B. Yener, “Time synchronization in sensor networks: a survey,” IEEE Network, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 45–50, 2004.
- A. Pásztor and D. Veitch, “PC based precision timing without GPS,” ACM SIGMETRICS Performance Evaluation Review, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2002.
- C. Liao, M. Martonosi, and D. W. Clark, “Experience with an adaptive globally-synchronizing clock algorithm,” in Proceedings of the 11th Annual ACM Symposium on Parallel Algorithms and Architectures (SPAA '99), pp. 106–114, Saint Malo, France, June 1999.